Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Good Eats>Heritage Dr. Pepper and Throwback Mtn. Dew
druturn 07:39 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
We have Dr. Pepper in Europe too, and a better recipe then in the US, with real sugar.
Those are some big claims Don! I not only live in the city that Dr. Pepper is bottled in, but also have made my pilgrimage to the Mecca of Dr. Pepper in Dublin(Texas that is)!
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 07:41 PM 01-07-2010
I enjoyed the Mtn.Dew, Pepsi was good as well, just different because of how jacked up our taste buds are because of HFCS haha.

Used to be a HUGE Dr.Pepp guy, Lately I don't care for it, Extremely sweet... So My search is still on for the throw back, Maybe I'll have to cellar a few 12 packs :-)
[Reply]
n3uka 09:25 PM 01-07-2010
Picked up a 12er of the dr pepper at Target today.
hope it lives up to expectations.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:23 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by a2vr6:
None of the heritage stuff is available here in Canada, love the Blu Sky Soda lines though (no HCF's and real flavoring): http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__Ni_6snbU4...lueskycola.gif
:-) Real sugar is a start, but I have no time for a cola without kola nut flavor. Once you check out a real cola, you'll recognize the big brands for what they are.

Padron is to Macanudo as real cola is to Coke and Pepsi.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 01:47 AM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
:-) Real sugar is a start, but I have no time for a cola without kola nut flavor. Once you check out a real cola, you'll recognize the big brands for what they are.

Padron is to Macanudo as real cola is to Coke and Pepsi.
Please advise as to where one can obtain cola with real kola nut flavor. I've always wanted to try some. Also, Macanudo may not be your preference but it is a real, hand made cigar. Wouldn't it be more like Padron to Swisher Sweet, etc.?

Tried Target today with no luck. I'll check out Nob Hill manana. That's where I finally found Pepsi Throwback before.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:32 AM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by druturn:
Those are some big claims Don! I not only live in the city that Dr. Pepper is bottled in, but also have made my pilgrimage to the Mecca of Dr. Pepper in Dublin(Texas that is)!
It's not a big claim after you tasted the European recipe of Dr Pepper. You'll find out soon enough.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 07:31 AM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Please advise as to where one can obtain cola with real kola nut flavor. I've always wanted to try some.
Well, like the post I quoted, I recommend Blue Sky. You can find it in many "health" food sections and at co-ops. If you live near a Whole Foods, you can find my personal fave, 365 Cola. It's their house brand. It's delicious, all natural, real sugar and lots of kola nut and it's freakin' cheap, too.

Also, Macanudo may not be your preference but it is a real, hand made cigar. Wouldn't it be more like Padron to Swisher Sweet, etc.?
At the end of the day, a good cola's still a can of sweet fizzy-water, too. Your analogy is fine, but I stand by mine. Padron and Macanudo have similar texture, size and burn characteristics. From most aesthetic angles, they're pretty much the same- but one has 10 times the flavor of the other. :-)
[Reply]
krevo 12:24 PM 01-08-2010
"Dublin" Dr. Pepper has been around forever in Texas.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:30 PM 01-08-2010
I'm not a Dr. Pepper fan (stone me :-)) but the Throwback Mt. Dew does take me back to my teen years in the 70's. We didn't have a lot of soda (watered down Kool-aid and milk--whole milk, there was no other kind!--were the beverages of choice in my house, besides my dad's Old Milwaukee cans.) So when I could ride my bike out to the 7-11 a few neighborhoods over, I'd grab a Mt. Dew and a comic book (which I wasn't supposed to have, either.) I was livin' on the edge. :-)

So, yea, I really enjoy the Throwback Mt. Dew. It tastes like that, to me.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:26 PM 01-08-2010
I tried the Mnt Dew today...didn't notice a difference at all. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:41 PM 01-08-2010
Just swung by Target and discovered that all Pepsi, Mt. Dew & Dr. Pepper 12-packs (cans) are on sale for $3 each + CRV through tomorrow. This includes throwback Dew, Heritage Dr. Pepper and Throwback Pepsi. Apparently there is also a $1 off a 12-pack of Pepsi products coupon on Target's website, which you can print multiple times. I don't know if the coupon works for Dr. Pepper, but it should work for Mtn. Dew as "Pepsi Co" is clearly indicated as the manufacturer on the Throwback Mtn. Dew.

I have no idea if this $3 for 12-pack sale is national or by region, in this case Northern CA.

-----

Mario - I grabbed a 12-pack of Heritage Dr. Pepper for you.
[Reply]
n3uka 09:11 PM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:

I have no idea if this $3 for 12-pack sale is national or by region, in this case Northern CA.
Same price in MD
[Reply]
Starscream 10:05 PM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Both the Throwback Mountain Dew and Pepsi are good. Can't say they are significantly better, taste a little cleaner and different but I do enjoy both of them. I had been seeing them both in cans for a few months, but just got the 20 oz. in the last month or so. I am not a big cola fan but the Pepsi is far better than Coke and comparable to Mexi-Coke. :-)
I miss the Mountain Dew (and sodas in general) that come in glass bottles. Soft drinks that are in plastic bottles taste quite different from drinks that are in glass bottles. The throwback Mt. Dews that are sold in my area come in glass bottles, so I'm not sure that the formula is different, but that the lastic flavor is not infused in the Throwback drinks b/c they are served in glass bottles. The glass container may be the difference in the cleaner taste. I miss the glass bottle days (they haven't been seen around here on a regular basis since the early '90s).
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:15 PM 01-08-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Padron and Macanudo have similar texture, size and burn characteristics. From most aesthetic angles, they're pretty much the same- but one has 10 times the flavor of the other. :-)
I've never compared the two in such a way butit makes sense. Also, thanks for the tip. There are several Whole Foods near by. 365 is their brand if I'm not mistaken and this is just one more excuse to get myself in there for a bit of good shopping.

Originally Posted by T.G:
Mario - I grabbed a 12-pack of Heritage Dr. Pepper for you.
Thanks Adam!:-) I'll be seeing you on Sunday right?
[Reply]
T.G 10:46 PM 01-08-2010
I've never compared the two in such a way butit makes sense. Also, thanks for the tip. There are several Whole Foods near by. 365 is their brand if I'm not mistaken and this is just one more excuse to get myself in there for a bit of good shopping.
Be warned:
Whole Foods in the bay area = Outrageously Overpriced

Thanks Adam!:-) I'll be seeing you on Sunday right?
Maybe, if not then either the barn herf or I'll call you when I'm next headed into San Jose.
[Reply]
bonjing 02:11 PM 01-16-2010
In case anyone else is looking for the throwback stuff, I spotted Pepsi, MT. Dew, and Dr. Pepper at Pack n Save.
[Reply]
G G 02:16 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I miss the Mountain Dew (and sodas in general) that come in glass bottles. Soft drinks that are in plastic bottles taste quite different from drinks that are in glass bottles. The throwback Mt. Dews that are sold in my area come in glass bottles, so I'm not sure that the formula is different, but that the lastic flavor is not infused in the Throwback drinks b/c they are served in glass bottles. The glass container may be the difference in the cleaner taste. I miss the glass bottle days (they haven't been seen around here on a regular basis since the early '90s).
I say that all the time Andy.:-) The Pepsi's in the 16 ounce bottles were lots different than they are today. Nehi orange and grape aint what they used to be when the bottles were glass neither.
[Reply]
Knip23 02:20 PM 01-16-2010
Jack makes better BBQ sauce
[Reply]
Whee 02:23 PM 01-16-2010
Love the throwback Pepsi. Had the Mountain Dew yesterday and it was meh.

My 17 yo Mt Dew expert said it lacked the "kick".
[Reply]
hotreds 03:48 PM 01-16-2010
Tried the Dr. Pepper- it was ok, but seemed very flat. Got a bottle of Mt. Dew and Pepsi that I have not yet tried. I also have to agree that sodas in glass bottles are better tasting than plastic or aluminum.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up