Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 113 of 270
« First < 1363103111112113 114115123163213 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
LostAbbott 08:17 PM 06-01-2011
Brad-

Yeah I got to a butcher for my belly and they sell it in about 10lb slabs. I have only done twenty lbs. so far and the first was in a brine, that made basically candy bacon. It was great, but I need to try something simpler. I think I am just going to do salt, brown sugar, and pepper...
[Reply]
OLS 07:11 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
Brad-

Yeah I got to a butcher for my belly and they sell it in about 10lb slabs. I have only done twenty lbs. so far and the first was in a brine, that made basically candy bacon. It was great, but I need to try something simpler. I think I am just going to do salt, brown sugar, and pepper...
I would love to hear what the details of 'candy bacon' are. How it comes to get that name.
My best batch was peppery and garlicky, which somewhat inhibited the smoke, but made
for good meat in the end. I sliced up my batch from last night, that slicer is going to pay for itself
fast, considering my landlady thinks it is in storage and I am using it full tilt, lol. I am going to start
dealing with a butcher for true slabs. Ironically, I do not need to be messing with bacon now, I need
to drop 30-40 lbs before I start planning the perfect bacon. I am at a critical stage now on weight,
teetering at the edge of non-obesity but loaded with potential. It's getting too close.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 10:27 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I would love to hear what the details of 'candy bacon' are. How it comes to get that name.
My best batch was peppery and garlicky, which somewhat inhibited the smoke, but made
for good meat in the end. I sliced up my batch from last night, that slicer is going to pay for itself
fast, considering my landlady thinks it is in storage and I am using it full tilt, lol. I am going to start
dealing with a butcher for true slabs. Ironically, I do not need to be messing with bacon now, I need
to drop 30-40 lbs before I start planning the perfect bacon. I am at a critical stage now on weight,
teetering at the edge of non-obesity but loaded with potential. It's getting too close.

I did a 7 day molasses brine. It was a take off Alton Browns recipe.

2 cup sugar
2 cup salt
16 oz molasses
1 gallon water
1 gallon apple cider
4 tbl black pepper
10 lbs pork belly (center cut)

I then heavily smoked it for 8 hours, heavy meaning there was always smoking coming off the wet cherry wood.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:48 AM 06-02-2011
8 hours of heavy smoke? Was that too much?
[Reply]
OLS 01:42 PM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Was that too much?
Turned it into CAN-dy.:-)
[Reply]
OLS 03:32 PM 06-02-2011
alright, a day late but here is some bacon, in the worst possible format.
But man, did my new slicer get it DONE!
Attached: bacon3.jpg (104.6 KB) 
[Reply]
cricky101 08:27 AM 06-03-2011
If the rain holds off I'm going to try a turkey breast offset in the Weber performer tonight. I've done whole chickens before, but not a turkey breast. I've got some cherry wood chunks and Plowboy's rub that should be really good with it
[Reply]
357 08:38 AM 06-03-2011
where do you get good wood/woodchips for smoking?
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:41 AM 06-03-2011
what temp do you do a turkey i thought it was bad to do a turkey to low?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:42 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
Lowe's out here in Valencia has a good selection of bagged wood chips in Mesquite, Hickory, and Apple. You can check them and your local Home Depot.

For larger chunks, you may have to peruse a place that sells fire wood:-)

[Reply]
T.G 09:02 AM 06-03-2011
All my fruit wood comes from tree prunings or cut downs (I dry it for 1-2 years before use), although I do buy my mesquite and hickory from wal-mart since they have the lowest prices and the alder I use for cheese comes from, of all places, a CVS drugstore that carries Luhr-Jensen smoke wood bags.
[Reply]
OLS 09:13 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
For larger chunks, you may have to peruse a place that sells fire wood:-)
[/b][/color]
Chips and chunks at Home Depot, cherry, apple hickory and mesquite. Priced between 3.99 for chips
and 6 and 9 bucks for chunks. Not a great deal, but if you can't find it there you go. I broke down.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:16 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
160-165 range (unstuffed).
[Reply]
nofeardiver 09:18 AM 06-03-2011
wait thats when you pull it or is that what temp your smoking it at? Thanks for your help, the reason why i am asking is cause i have one in freezer i am wanting to do, just havent had time...
[Reply]
357 09:24 AM 06-03-2011
Thanks guys. I am probably going to start with chips for smoking and may move from charcoal to wood for my grilling. Not sure yet.
[Reply]
T.G 09:35 AM 06-03-2011
Chips are ok for grilling but in a smoker aren't that effective because they burn up so quickly. You're better off with chunks in the smoker.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:44 AM 06-03-2011
I use a variety of places. Ebay is actually a decent place for some good peach, cherry, etc chunks.

I also chop my own and look on craigslist.

Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
I smoke my turkey's around 275-300. I spatchcock them and it lessens the cooking time dramatically. I really need to post a pic of it.

I also put cut up a whole stick of butter and place in various areas under the skin.
[Reply]
357 09:51 AM 06-03-2011
CL is a great idea. I have seen tons of different kinds of hardwood when looking for simple firewood. Thanks for the reminder.
[Reply]
cricky101 10:14 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:

I smoke my turkey's around 275-300. I spatchcock them and it lessens the cooking time dramatically. I really need to post a pic of it.

I also put cut up a whole stick of butter and place in various areas under the skin.
That was my plan, too. Right about 275 with butter and herbs/spices rubbed under the skin. It's just a bone-in breast, so I'm just going to use the Weber kettle with offset coals. Didn't want to mess with the whole smoker for a pretty quick cook.
[Reply]
forgop 11:56 AM 06-03-2011
I picked up some decent size bags at Meijer-apple, oak, and hickory. Seemed almost twice as big as the bags I got at Lowes for the price ($5-7/bag IIRC depending on the exact type).
[Reply]
Page 113 of 270
« First < 1363103111112113 114115123163213 > Last »
Up