Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 39
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
NCRadioMan 01:44 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Not even sure what that is O_O, I just figure....2 reading the exact same thing would lead me to believe they are correct or at least VERY correctISH.

So I left a glass of distilled water and filled the humidifiers, the hygrometer started at 51, they are now 69 after like 10 hours. Is my humidor really ready to put cigars in? Or should I take the glass of water out and see if it's still holding the same humidity.

EDIT wow your sticky says 7-14 days of this O_O.

EDIT also those humidifiers yeah that sticky stuff they put on the back....worthless mine fall all the time randomly. I pushed them on good and all but ...nothing they fall every couple hours
Don't guess that your digital hygro is correct. Salt-test it to make sure, you don't need the Boveda junk.

Keep your humidor closed with the glass of dist. h2o for at least 2-3 days, then you should be able to load it up.

:-)
[Reply]
dschmidt20 01:48 PM 08-12-2010
I was and I guess still am a newbie to CA. I joined up in 2009 and haven't been around too much since I left Davidoff in 2009. The reason being was that I never really had a chance to connect with anyone in here besides JPH, who I met in NY when he was at graduate school.

Question I have for seasoned veterans is how did you start building up a humidor collection if you happened to be on a fixed budget/income?

I was able to build up a tremendous stash and having gone through a period of unemployment for 14 months without collecting unemployment I ended up burning through all of them. Now I'm back to work and building my collection of CCs, but I also like to smoke them from time to time.

This post is not intended to mooch for sources, but more importantly so I can get a better feel for how you went about building your collection so you could pass along some good smokes to other BOTL.

Best,

Dusty
[Reply]
Bill86 01:54 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Don't guess that your digital hygro is correct. Salt-test it to make sure, you don't need the Boveda junk.

Keep your humidor closed with the glass of dist. h2o for at least 2-3 days, then you should be able to load it up.

Sounds good, 3 days it is. I mean the instructions said until it reaches humidity so adding on a few days sounds good enough.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:55 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by dschmidt20:
Question I have for seasoned veterans is how did you start building up a humidor collection if you happened to be on a fixed budget/income?
As with any budget, buy more than you smoke. On a smaller budget, sacrifice is in order. Smoke less but keep buying on a consistent basis. Just takes time.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:54 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

I have mixed feelings about this advice. Boveda isn't junk. But, its unnecessary for folks who are willing and able to make their own salt slurry. Thing is, many folks find it difficult to do so. Don't know why. But, if its giving you trouble, use Boveda and save yourself the frustration.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:43 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Boveda isn't junk.
In your opinion. IMO, Boveda is total junk because it's a waste of money not because they don't work. Spend $5 on a Boveda pack or less than a penny making a salt solution that does the same thing? Doesn't take Einstein to figure the math on that one but evidently, for some, it takes a doctorate degree to make the most simple of solutions. :-)

It's always better teaching to fish rather than just supplying the fish.

They should be called Boveda Lazy-A$$ Kits. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 08:16 PM 08-15-2010
I see many cigars with and without PLASTIC wrappers, should those be kept on or taken off when the cigars are inside your humidor?
[Reply]
Chingas 08:20 PM 08-15-2010
I see many cigars with and without PLASTIC wrappers, should those be kept on or taken off when the cigars are inside your humidor?
I think te census says it's a matter of personal preference.
[Reply]
markem 08:22 PM 08-15-2010
The decision to remove (or not) a cellophane wrapper is an individual one. Try it both ways and decide what works best for you.
[Reply]
timj219 11:22 AM 08-19-2010
I need to buy a cutter. Can any of them be disassembled to sharpen the blades? I've never seen this option mentioned in anything I've read about them.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 11:25 AM 08-19-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
I need to buy a cutter. Can any of them be disassembled to sharpen the blades? I've never seen this option mentioned in anything I've read about them.
If you pick up the Palio (or Xikar) it comes with a lifetime warranty, so if you are ever not satisfied with their performance, you can exchange them.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
timj219 02:17 PM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by N2Advnture:
If you pick up the Palio (or Xikar) it comes with a lifetime warranty, so if you are ever not satisfied with their performance, you can exchange them.

I hope this helps

~Mark
Yes it does. That's a better deal than trying to sharpen those curved blades.
[Reply]
Sam Tushing 05:31 PM 09-14-2010
Hope this fits as a newbie question:

I have a quick question on cigar shopping - has anyone bought there cigars from Thompson Cigar? If so what was the experience like? I've seen some good deals I'm interested in taking advantage of...

Any other suggestions on good places to buy online would be appreciated!
[Reply]
icehog3 05:37 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Sam Tushing:
Hope this fits as a newbie question:

I have a quick question on cigar shopping - has anyone bought there cigars from Thompson Cigar? If so what was the experience like? I've seen some good deals I'm interested in taking advantage of...

Any other suggestions on good places to buy online would be appreciated!
Incessant calls for months (maybe years) will be your reward.

Some of the places I would offer as alternatives:

CigarsInternational
Holts
JRs

I am sure the others will follow with many which are better alternatives as well. I suggest skipping Thompson's if for nothing than their insane sales reps.
[Reply]
Chingas 07:11 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:

CigarsInternational
Holts
JRs

I am sure the others will follow with many which are better alternatives as well. I suggest skipping Thompson's if for nothing than their insane sales reps.
[Reply]
14holestogie 07:39 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:

CigarsInternational
Holts
JRs

I concur. I stopped shopping there years ago until the last few months, as the little woman has taken to smoking some cigarillos only they carry. It wasn't two weeks before the phone calls started again. I straightened them out after the first few calls. No, i don't want any of your other "premiums." :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 07:53 PM 09-14-2010
I haven't shopped at Thompson's for years and I still get catalogs. :-)
[Reply]
XTRazzer 08:11 PM 09-14-2010
I've never bought from Thompson's but got their catalogs anyhow. Had to send a 'stop' request online.

For online cigar shops I would add Famous Smoke, Atlantic Cigar, and Slippery Rock Cigars.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:14 PM 09-14-2010
There are several retailers that are members of CA -- you can check out their specials and announcements in the retailers section.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:20 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by XTRazzer:
I've never bought from Thompson's but got their catalogs anyhow. Had to send a 'stop' request online.
:-) No idea how they got my addy. I just chuck them in the recycling...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 13 of 39
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Up