Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Jury duty is like a wet/dry vac...
MithShrike 01:15 AM 05-27-2009
...it sucks and blows. Seriously, that was the most boring 5 hours of my life I will never get back. There's my duty to the Maricopa County Superior Court, at least for the next 18 months. Lessee.. I wasted an entire day of work, $17 on crappy gas station food and two magazines, five hours of my life, and $3.25 on the vending machine during break. When asked if anyone was involved with any sort of political group regarding change of the law for criminal activities I piped right up about my involvement with MPP (Google is your friend). One guy had to give his life story every time he was asked a question. I'm sure he extended the whole thing by 40 minutes by himself. Thank the gods I don't have to do that again.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:08 AM 05-27-2009
Oooof, that sucks Matt. :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:10 AM 05-27-2009
I sat on a jury trial once, and it was a one day trial. Lasted most of the day, and I thought it was am experience everyone should do once. But I don't care if I ever have to be a juror again.
[Reply]
JE3146 09:16 AM 05-27-2009
I've been called in like 4 times, and each of them fell during school, so they canceled it. They never ask when I'm out of school. Always wondered about it, but I always hear stories like this. I have like 5 cops in the family, so I really doubt I'd make it past the initial questioning anyways...
[Reply]
rack04 09:22 AM 05-27-2009
Every time that I have attended jury duty I have always been asked to leave after they poll the jury about their career. I guess they have something against educated white males. :-)
[Reply]
G G 09:25 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
Every time that I have attended jury duty I have always been asked to leave after they poll the jury about their career. I guess they have something against educated white males. :-)
Bingo, hence the reason they let me stay. I fit one of the profiles but not the other.:-)
[Reply]
ActionAndy 09:34 AM 05-27-2009
Oh GOD. When I went down to Albany for Jury Duty there were so many schmucks involved. One kid had driven something like 5 hours to be there and he kept announcing it like some badge of honor; you could tell he was actually excited to be involved. And like you said, when it came time for the "does anyone have experience with ____" questions, suddenly ever stupid detail of everyone's life was out on the table. They're yes or no questions, they aren't asking because they're deeply interested in your experiences as a human, leave that **** to Chicken Soup for the Idiot's Soul please.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:34 AM 05-27-2009
I dread the day I get called for jury duty. My plan is to be as radical as I can be in any questions I'm asked. That way I can go home quickly.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:00 AM 05-27-2009
Sorry to hear Matt!!
[Reply]
MithShrike 11:20 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by ActionAndy:
They're yes or no questions, they aren't asking because they're deeply interested in your experiences as a human, leave that **** to Chicken Soup for the Idiot's Soul please.
:-):-)

Yeah this guy even had to explain his views on the death penalty...
[Reply]
doctorcue 03:55 PM 05-27-2009
Jury Duty is rough... I was on duty for 12 days (across 3 weeks) before it ended in mis-trial. Total waste of time in my case. :-)
[Reply]
akakirby 04:30 PM 05-27-2009
I have to call in every thursday for the next 2 months to see if i have to serve for jury duty on friday. what a pain, hope i don't get called in, I am hoping since it is fridays they will not be doing much.
[Reply]
acarr 05:13 PM 05-27-2009
I had the doctor write me a permanent note and I never get called anymore. Before that, I did get called and was questioned on a trial. Alas, I was a states witness in a case the next day and the judge told me to go home:P
[Reply]
nozero 05:20 PM 05-27-2009
Since you mentioned MPP... Have you read this? http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/whiteb1.htm

I found it to be somewhat interesting and informative.
:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:41 PM 05-27-2009
I feel for you. Before they had the phone in system, I was stuck in a jury room for two weeks straight. Not once, but twice. The thing that sucked the most was getting assigned to a case on Friday of my last day. :-) The trial lasted two weeks. That's right, four weeks of service. Blech.
[Reply]
Fumes 09:36 PM 05-27-2009
Here's one way to get out of it. But I think this only works in Montana.
[Reply]
nozero 06:34 AM 05-28-2009
Originally Posted by Fumes:
Here's one way to get out of it. But I think this only works in Montana.
Wow, he's lucky he not STILL being held in contempt.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:26 AM 05-28-2009
That's one of the perks in being a lawyer - they NEVER want me! :-)

Reminds me of the old line:
Would YOU want your legal fate in the hands of 12 people
who are too dumb to get off jury duty? :-)
[Reply]
Fumes 07:06 PM 05-28-2009
Originally Posted by smokin5:
That's one of the perks in being a lawyer - they NEVER want me! :-)

Reminds me of the old line:
Would YOU want your legal fate in the hands of 12 people
who are too dumb to get off jury duty? :-)
And the old Mark Twain chestnut:

We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men every day who don't know anything and can't read.
[Reply]
akakirby 07:36 PM 05-28-2009
made the call for this week, no jury duty for me tomorrow, woohoo, now if we can only keep this streak going for the next month and a half!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up