Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What should I try next?
Kreth 12:44 PM 07-26-2009
So I've been involved in this wonderful hobby since the beginning of this year, bought some samplers, done a few trades. I'd like some suggestions on what to try next.
Below are some notes on my (limited) experience. If I don't mention a vitola, it's either because I don't recall it, or enjoyed that cigar in several vitolas. I generally prefer the look and feel of a robusto or toro, although I like the SP double Maduro in La Mancha, which I guess is similar to a mini lancero?
I have a newborn, so I won't be snagging a box of Diamond Crown anytime soon, but I like to buy singles or 5ers of the more expensive cigars here and there as a special occasion smoke.

My top 2:
Kristoff Maduro Matador - Ryan (MedicCook) suggested this to me when we herfed and I loved it! One of my special occasion smokes, and I'll probably be smoking the one I have in my humi to celebrate the birth of my son. I love the pigtail and shaggy foot.
Bucanero Full Sail Maduro Toro - Another great stick I got from a PIF.

My Go-To Smokes:
Perdomo Slow-Aged Lot 826 Maduro Glorioso - Great golf smokes and very smooth
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro Toro - I grab one of these when I want a little more kick than the 826
Sancho Panza Double Maduro La Mancha - I like these as a change of pace. Good flavor, and a quicker smoke than the other two.

Some others I've enjoyed:
CAO Black, VR, and Brazilia - I found the Italia strong for the sake of being strong, but really enjoyed these 3.
RP Vintage 90, Olde World Reserve - Either wrapper on the OWR. The 92 just didn't do it for me, but I love the 90.
Onyx Reserve
5 Vegas Series A - Smoked one of these OTT, and wondered what the hype was. Got suggestions here to try another after resting and really enjoyed it.
RyJ Habana Reserve - Grabbed a mixed vitola sampler via a magazine ad and liked all of them
Diablo - Another herf gift, very nice
Taboo Twist, SF, and SFO - Ilve gone through a few Taboo samplers. These I enjoyed, the other blends didn't stand out for me.
DPG Series JJ - Yum!

To be continued...
[Reply]
Kreth 12:53 PM 07-26-2009
Hit the text field limit in my WAP browser, so I had to start a new post.
I haven't enjoyed a really mild cigar yet. 5 Vegas Gold was like smoking air, and the few Candela/Cameroons I've tried were unimpressive.
Some cigars I'm curious about:
RP Decade, Renaissance
5 Vegas Relic, Cask Strength II
El Mejor Emerald
Gurkha - have yet to try one
Cremosa - are they really that bad?
Acid - same as above
Opus X - are they really that good?

So what am I missing out on? What should I buy next? Where are the best deals?
[Reply]
hotreds 01:18 PM 07-26-2009
Taste is tase: Acids are poo-pooed here, yet they are requested by the troops. I don't like them, but that's me. I do like some of the DE Naturals, however. Never had a Cremosa, but they are a best seller in the USA- so I've read. Have been unimpressed by the Opus.

Macanudos are a very good mild cigar IMO. I also love the JR Special Jamaicans- inexpensive to boot. Temple Hall Estates is another VG smoke. There are so many, you haven't even begun to scratch the surface! Keep checking CI, Holts, Cigar.com, JR's and others for inexpensive samplers, as well as the For Sale here!

Good luck and happy smokes to you!
[Reply]
eber 01:25 PM 07-26-2009
I would definetley try some of the LFD smokes, I really like the coronado and if you want a really strong one try the chisel. Any of the Olivas (Serie O,G,V) are nice. Defiance by Xikar, Don Kiki brown label, tatuaje of any variety try the white label if price needs to stay down. theres a ton more, just go out and try stuff that you havent smoked.
[Reply]
dubnick 01:29 PM 07-26-2009
I really enjoy the RP Decades, especially the Torpedo. They are currently one of my favorites.

And anything from Tat has always been enjoyable, especially the Miami (Brown) line.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:02 PM 07-26-2009
- LFC Chisel's are awesome!!! A little pricey, but a great smoke.
- Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro - great stick!!
- Arturo Fuente Cuban Coranoa maduro - awesome!!
- Carlos Torano Signature Collection - very nice
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 02:08 PM 07-26-2009
Do yourself a favor and try the Renaissance.
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 02:28 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
5 Vegas Cask Strength II
These got a good ceder kick and a toasty finish not bad at all for a $4 stick. :-)
[Reply]
flat6nut 02:33 PM 07-26-2009
Try any of the vitolas of the Arturo Fuente Hemingways. I personally think the Hemingways blow all the high dollar AF's away.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 02:36 PM 07-26-2009
As a Padron whore, I have to ask have you had any?
[Reply]
Clampdown 02:42 PM 07-26-2009
Hit the text field limit in my WAP browser, so I had to start a new post.
I haven't enjoyed a really mild cigar yet. 5 Vegas Gold was like smoking air, and the few Candela/Cameroons I've tried were unimpressive.
Some cigars I'm curious about:
RP Decade, Renaissance
5 Vegas Relic, Cask Strength II
El Mejor Emerald
Gurkha - have yet to try one
Cremosa - are they really that bad?
Acid - same as above
Opus X - are they really that good?

So what am I missing out on? What should I buy next? Where are the best deals?
RP Decade, Renaissance: The OWR are good, not sure about this
5 Vegas Relic, Cask Strength II: I have not heard good things
El Mejor Emerald: Dont bother
Gurkha - have yet to try one: Look above
Cremosa - are they really that bad?: If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...
Acid - same as above: The worst cigar I have ever tried, i hated ever second of it.
Opus X - are they really that good?: The only NC I enjoy, especially the Super Beli.

Good luck
[Reply]
Dunkel 03:06 PM 07-26-2009
PM sent Kreth
[Reply]
Kreth 03:34 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
- LFC Chisel's are awesome!!! A little pricey, but a great smoke.
LFC?
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r:
These got a good ceder kick and a toasty finish not bad at all for a $4 stick. :-)
These are limited each year, right? Not a regular production run?
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
PM sent Kreth
And replied to, thank you!
More replies coming, my browser apparently only likes a few multi-quotes in one post.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:53 PM 07-26-2009
Try a Fuente King B. It's a beautiful sun-grown rosado wrapper in a pyramid format. One of my all time favorites for a medium smoke with lots of complex flavors. Sometimes hard to find, Holt's and Tampa Sweetheart's website have them. Probably some others too. They run about $122 a box for 18. It's much better than the Cuban Belicoso that Fuente makes.:-)
I think it's because the wrapper is grown in the sun on "mist shrouded mountains in Ecuador". It's a really pretty wrapper.
Hope you enjoy it.
[Reply]
Kreth 03:58 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by flat6nut:
Try any of the vitolas of the Arturo Fuente Hemingways. I personally think the Hemingways blow all the high dollar AF's away.
I bid on some Short Stories on cbid (I believe) a while back, but they ended up going a little higher than I wanted to spend. Do you have a favorite vitola?
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
As a Padron whore, I have to ask have you had any?
Yes I have. A few of the n000 series, and a 64. They were tasty!
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
RP Decade, Renaissance: The OWR are good, not sure about this
5 Vegas Relic, Cask Strength II: I have not heard good things
El Mejor Emerald: Dont bother
Gurkha - have yet to try one: Look above
Cremosa - are they really that bad?: If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...
Acid - same as above: The worst cigar I have ever tried, i hated ever second of it.
Opus X - are they really that good?: The only NC I enjoy, especially the Super Beli.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably still try them all. Worst case I'm out the cost of a 5er.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:02 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
And anything from Tat has always been enjoyable, especially the Miami (Brown) line.
I'll check them out, thanks.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:20 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Try a Fuente King B. It's a beautiful sun-grown rosado wrapper in a pyramid format. One of my all time favorites for a medium smoke with lots of complex flavors. Sometimes hard to find, Holt's and Tampa Sweetheart's website have them. Probably some others too. They run about $122 a box for 18. It's much better than the Cuban Belicoso that Fuente makes.:-)
I think it's because the wrapper is grown in the sun on "mist shrouded mountains in Ecuador". It's a really pretty wrapper.
Hope you enjoy it.
I don't recall specifics, but I was looking at something in the new Famous catalog with a rosado wrapper. It looked really tasty.
Regarding websites. Are any of the big names mobile friendly? CI takes forever to load on a phone, and Famous isn't much better. The devil site isn't too bad.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:30 PM 07-26-2009
LFC?

These are limited each year, right? Not a regular production run?

And replied to, thank you!
More replies coming, my browser apparently only likes a few multi-quotes in one post.
Jeff...sorry for the fat fingers...LFD Chisel Maduro is a new fav for me.
[Reply]
Kreth 05:59 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Jeff...sorry for the fat fingers...LFD Chisel Maduro is a new fav for me.
No worries... I should have Googled chisel + cigar instead of LFC. I have a spreadsheet from a list Coz77 (I think) posted to a cheap cigars thread. I've modified it to keep track of which cigars I've tried with notes and ratings. This thread has been really helpful for finding similar cigars to what I already know I like.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:48 PM 07-26-2009
From your current list of go-to's and favorites, it looks like you are enjoying maduro wrappers. I would continue to explore these as they seem to suit your tastes at the moment. From there you can venture out into other wrappers from the brands you like the most.
For fuller flavored maduros try:

Padron x000 maduro
Oliva G and O maduro
RP Edge Maduro
Camacho Diploma and SLR maduro
Fuente Anejo's-Opus in a maddie wrapper
LFD maduro
Camacho Triple Maduro-The king of Maduros
Padron Anni maduro
601 Blue

Milder Maduros:

Punch Maduro Maduro