Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Do all cigars taste like **** after relighting?
Bryan 07:42 PM 07-24-2009
I occasionally smoke half a cigar and put it out. I then will come back to it after a few hours or sometimes, even the next day. I always notice they don't taste as good. Is this normal? Is there a proper way to relight after they sat around for a extended length of time?

thanks. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 07:45 PM 07-24-2009
Unless it's within a few minutes- cigar is kaput!
[Reply]
pnoon 07:45 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by Bryan:
I occasionally smoke half a cigar and put it out. I then will come back to it after a few hours or sometimes, even the next day. I always notice they don't taste as good. Is this normal? Is there a proper way to relight after they sat around for a extended length of time?

thanks. :-)
Relighting after a few hours (and definfitely the next day) is bound to taste like crap. The only proper way is to pitch it and light a fresh one.

If only an hour or two, you could try purging the cigar (after it goes out, blow gently thru the stick to push out any lingering smoke). Aside from that, there isn't much you can do.
[Reply]
MedicCook 07:46 PM 07-24-2009
The few times I have tried to re-lite a cigar after it sitting for an hour+ it was never a good experience.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:50 PM 07-24-2009
Yes.
Simple.
Easy.
Painless.
Get a new cigar out of the humi :-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 07:54 PM 07-24-2009
Always make the time to sit and enjoy a cigar. They turn real stale if you try to relight after some time.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:46 PM 07-24-2009
Yep. Toss it. Sometimes you can purge it and cut it back behind anything burnt. Then if you get back to it within a couple of hours, you may be OK. Some great cigars have been lost this way. /cue sad bugle tune/
[Reply]
acruce 08:53 PM 07-24-2009
Maybe try a smaller cigar that doesn't take a long time to smoke.That way you can avoid having to put it out.Save the bigger ones for when you have ample time to enjoy it.:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:53 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Yep. Toss it. Sometimes you can purge it and cut it back behind anything burnt. Then if you get back to it within a couple of hours, you may be OK. Some great cigars have been lost this way. /cue sad bugle tune/
And for goodness sake never put one back in the humi once it has gone out!!!:-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 08:58 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
And for goodness sake never put one back in the humi once it has gone out!!!:-)
Someone would do that?

Isnt that kinda like putting half a peace of toast back in the bread bag?
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:59 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by acruce:
Maybe try a smaller cigar that doesn't take a long time to smoke.That way you can avoid having to put it out.Save the bigger ones for when you have ample time to enjoy it.:-)
:-) There are tons of good little smokes out there and save the bigger ones for when you know you have time to savor them.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 09:02 PM 07-24-2009
Happens to me occasionally. I will re-light purge then let it sit untill its about to go out. then purge again and smoke. Some times works, sometimes doesn't.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:07 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Someone would do that?

Isnt that kinda like putting half a peace of toast back in the bread bag?
You just gave me a great idea for a prank. :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 09:10 PM 07-24-2009
Not just toasted toast, burnt beyond recognition toast.
[Reply]
ucla695 09:31 PM 07-24-2009
Yes, rarely a good thing. The only advice I have besides pitching the cigar is to light it and purge it (a lot) and hope for the best.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:32 PM 07-24-2009
I agree.... I had to let my Mag 50 go out very early into it tonight for something far more important.... It just didn't finish the same... :-)
[Reply]
Old Sailor 09:35 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
I agree.... I had to let my Mag 50 go out very early into it tonight for something far more important.... It just didn't finish the same... :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:39 PM 07-24-2009
A friend of mine taught me to purge my cigar BEFORE I let it go out.
Now, every time I set my cigar down I blow all the smoke from it before I set it down, just in case it goes out and I can't get back to it for some reason.
I can pick it up the next day and relight it and it tastes just like it did before it went out. I've picked them up days later when I left them in the shed, and they're fine.
It's one of the greatest cigar tricks I've ever learned, and it was a kid that taught me cause he used to do it with his cigarettes.
It's saved a lot of good cigars that would have been wasted. :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:40 AM 07-25-2009
Thanks for that info Scott.:-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:00 AM 07-25-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
A friend of mine taught me to purge my cigar BEFORE I let it go out.
Now, every time I set my cigar down I blow all the smoke from it before I set it down, just in case it goes out and I can't get back to it for some reason.
I can pick it up the next day and relight it and it tastes just like it did before it went out. I've picked them up days later when I left them in the shed, and they're fine.
It's one of the greatest cigar tricks I've ever learned, and it was a kid that taught me cause he used to do it with his cigarettes.
It's saved a lot of good cigars that would have been wasted. :-)
I've done this with success before as well. It's never as good as it was fresh, but...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up