Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Cocktail Thread- Shaken or Stirred?
fsjonsey 01:22 AM 05-21-2012
I know that most folks here enjoy their cigars with wine, whiskey, or beer, but a good cocktail can make for a great cigar pairing as well.
I'll start off with my go-to favorite, the mother of all cocktails, the Old Fashioned:
Muddle one sugar cube, four dashes of Angostura bitters, and a tablespoon of club soda in a glass.
Add 3oz of (preferably 100 proof) Bourbon or Rye.
Fill a second glass with ice.
Twist a small orange slice in the second glass and add a dash of Club Soda.
Pour the contents of the first glass into the second glass.
Stir, add a Maraschino Cherry for garnish. (the cherry is optional, but some prefer it)
Drink, enjoy, and repeat.
The recipe for a "proper" Old Fashioned is a contentious issue in mixology circles. This is the formula that I happen to like best.
[Reply]
fsjonsey 03:26 AM 10-01-2012
Anyone?
Come on guys!
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:33 AM 10-01-2012
I like a Manhattan, myself, but I use Rye and do without the bitters.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 07:55 AM 10-01-2012
How about Fuzzy Navel paired with an Acid Kuba Kuba? :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:01 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by Zanaspus:
Maybe if you're a New Orleans hooker...
[Reply]
fsjonsey 02:01 AM 10-02-2012
How about a classic, Havana style Daiquiri?
Strawberries and slushee machines need not apply.

3oz Light or Dark Rum (I prefer a dark, aged rum. Brugal Aņejo is great for mixing)
1.5oz Fresh lime juice.
1/2 oz simple syrup (a 1/1 solution of granulated sugar dissolved in water)
Shake with ice.
Serve in a chilled Old Fashioned Glass.
Best consumed while reading Hemingway and smoking an ISOM.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:44 PM 10-03-2012
I like a good gin martini myself. Splash of dry vermouth, shaken, and with olives (real bleu cheese stuffed ones if I can find them). Gins I like are Bombay, Hendricks, Magellan, and Blue Coat.
[Reply]
markem 06:58 PM 10-03-2012
I like my boilermakers stirred and not shaken.
[Reply]
Scottw 07:59 PM 10-03-2012
Bourbon an root beer stirred is a good pairing with cigars for me. Other than that its single malt or single barrel bourbon neat.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:23 PM 10-03-2012
http://gizmodo.com/5897248/shaken-or...ic-exploration
[Reply]
smokin5 09:42 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
I like my boilermakers stirred and not shaken.
And I like my boilermakers boiled, not fried. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:44 PM 10-03-2012
I don't always drink cocktails, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equ.... er.... sorry, lost my train of thought there!!!

One of my own invention. Surprisingly enough, My family calls it the Cliff Special.

One ounce each of:

Southern Comfort
Crown Royal (regular)
Disaronno Amaretto
Whiskey Sour mix

Combine these four in a tall Highball glass. Fill mostly to the top with Sprite (forget about other lemon-lime drinks for mixer). Add ice and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Be warned. Mixed right, this is like a good Long Island Tea, the liquor will not be noticed. But, this will put a spin in your head quickly!
[Reply]
hammondc 10:18 PM 10-03-2012
Never had an old fashioned. Always kinda wanted to try them. Maybe this will be the weekend.
[Reply]
hammondc 10:19 PM 10-03-2012
Old standyby for me is a Dark n Stormy. Black Seal rum with a good Jamaican ginger beer and a bit of lime. Make them with Blenheims ginger ale for a dark n fiery.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 10:32 PM 10-03-2012
My cocktail of choice:

2 oz don julio silver and a drizzle of Rose's lime.
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:28 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by Zanaspus:
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Maybe if you're a New Orleans hooker...
I nearly died after reading this... I was laughing so hard I inhaled a bit of cigar smoke and went into a coughing fit... lol :-)

+1 Subvet642 :-)

As for my opinion, I'm a straight up Maker's Mark & a Maduro Kinda guy, but I like a good rusty nail every now and then... maybe pair that with a Tabak Especial?
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:34 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
I don't always drink cocktails, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equ.... er.... sorry, lost my train of thought there!!!

One of my own invention. Surprisingly enough, My family calls it the Cliff Special.

One ounce each of:

Southern Comfort
Crown Royal (regular)
Disaronno Amaretto
Whiskey Sour mix

Combine these four in a tall Highball glass. Fill mostly to the top with Sprite (forget about other lemon-lime drinks for mixer). Add ice and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Be warned. Mixed right, this is like a good Long Island Tea, the liquor will not be noticed. But, this will put a spin in your head quickly!
I'll Give this a shot... maybe over Thanksgiving with my Fam... Thanks Svillekid
[Reply]
billybarue 10:35 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Old standyby for me is a Dark n Stormy. Black Seal rum with a good Jamaican ginger beer and a bit of lime. Make them with Blenheims ginger ale for a dark n fiery.
A relatively new favorite for me. I've tried other rums but it has to be Goslings Black Seal. I've also tried other ginger beers, but I like Goslings ginger beer. Although I've tried various dark (black) rums and other ginger beer iterations, I know my preference for Goslings is probably because that is simply how I had them in the beginning.

That Blenheims looks interesting - never heard of it before. I'll be looking for it now.

Cheers,

BB
[Reply]
cobra03 02:20 AM 10-09-2012
Im not a huge cocktail guy but i am partial to a manhattan or a white russian from time to time.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:26 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by billybarue:
A relatively new favorite for me. I've tried other rums but it has to be Goslings Black Seal. I've also tried other ginger beers, but I like Goslings ginger beer. Although I've tried various dark (black) rums and other ginger beer iterations, I know my preference for Goslings is probably because that is simply how I had them in the beginning.

That Blenheims looks interesting - never heard of it before. I'll be looking for it now.

Cheers,

BB
I usually use Black seal with Reeds Ginger Beer. Blenheim is very very hard to find unless you live in NC/SC. It can be found online though and there is a store locator for the other B&M stores in the nation.

I will have my parents and in laws mule it in for me when they visit this fall. 20 sixers oughta do it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up