Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 196
« First < 234 561454104 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Mark C 06:28 AM 11-09-2008
I just cracked open a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998. I'm usually a rum drinker (this and Booker's are the only bourbon I've got), but this was a darn good bottle of booze. The nose reminded me a little of sum of my rums, was just a little sweet, very smooth (one ice cube), good combination of caramel and wood flavors. I'm a fan.
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 07:20 AM 11-10-2008
Knob Creek pairs best with my fascination for full-bodied maduros! :-)

Jason
[Reply]
tsolomon 08:19 AM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I just cracked open a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998. I'm usually a rum drinker (this and Booker's are the only bourbon I've got), but this was a darn good bottle of booze. The nose reminded me a little of sum of my rums, was just a little sweet, very smooth (one ice cube), good combination of caramel and wood flavors. I'm a fan.
That's good to know, I just finished a bottle of the 1997 and as soon as it's on sale, I will buy another which will probably be the 98. :-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 03:42 PM 11-10-2008
Just picked up some Eagle Rare 10yr at the store, I can't wait to crack into it.
[Reply]
BengalMan 04:59 PM 11-10-2008
Here is a good list of bourbons under $40:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve
Elmer T Lee
Basil Hayden
Buffalo Trace
[Reply]
nozero 05:18 PM 11-10-2008
Makers Mark is my current favorite, but I like these too.
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Knob Creek
Bulliet
[Reply]
awsmith4 06:34 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Here is a good list of bourbons under $40:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve
Elmer T Lee
Basil Hayden
Buffalo Trace
I need to find some Elmer T and the Buffalo Trace, I would also add to that list the Russel's Reserve
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:02 PM 11-10-2008
Elmer T is the stuff...
[Reply]
Jdbwolverines 08:55 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Elmer T is the stuff...
Can anyone give me a quick review of the Elmer T? I've heard good stuff but never tried it. It seems to slightly harder to find around me. I do enjoy almost anything the buffalo trace distillery puts out though I have been wanting to get my hands on some.
[Reply]
Savvy 08:06 AM 11-11-2008
Before I left for the AF I was really starting to get into bourbon. I like Buffalo Trace probably the most out of the different one's I've tried, but I'll admit I haven't had very much. This thread is giving me some good advice in things to try once I'm finally allowed to drink again. :-) Couple more weeks...
[Reply]
cbsmokin 11:14 AM 11-11-2008

Had some last night over ice.

Yummy. :-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:21 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:

Hey Craig can I come over :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:11 PM 11-11-2008
Although, a few of theses are not bourbons, I found this to be interesting. I found it while surfing. It's a list of the top ten whiskey's that everyone should try!

I have had #9 and #10 and loved them both! I have not tried any of the others. Have you tried any of these?

#10 - Wild Turkey American Honey. If your throat’s burning and you’re craving something sweet, try this honey-laced bourbon from Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Ashley Judd not included.

#9 - Dalwhinnie 15 years old. Scottish single malt, considered one of the “Six Classic Malts,” originating in the Highlands. Treat it respectfully or risk getting your head cut off by a Frenchman with a Japanese sword and faking a Scottish accent. (There can be only one!)

#8 - Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve. Regular Jameson on steroids, metaphorically speaking. Only 1,300 3-liter cases came out for the first vintage, which means you had an easier time getting the first copy of the last Harry Potter book.

#7 – Nikka Yoichi 20 years old. So it’s not from Ireland or Scotland. Japan’s an island, too, and in a 2003 blind taste test, this Asian single malt gave the Gaels one in the eye.

#6 - Suntory Hibiki 30 years old. Yet another entry from the Land of the Rising Sun, this whisky was declared the “World’s Best Blended Whisky” at the 2008 World Whiskies Awards. Boy, first it was cars, now it’s booze?

# 5 - Compass Box Hedonism. Winner of the 2008 “World’s Best Grain Whisky” award from Whisky Magazine. Made in Scotland by an American. Sip it respectfully, watch a Sean Connery Bond film, and chant “USA! USA!”

#4 - Glenrothes 25 years old. Another limited edition single malt, though with 2,400 bottles released upon an unsuspecting world, you may want to ask Glenrothes if they really know what “limited” means. Each bottle of this whisky contains spirits distilled in 1967, 1972, 1977, 1979, and 1980. Guess that’s what’s really going on when you save time in a bottle.

#3 - Blue Hanger 30 years old. The name has nothing to do with Joan Crawford’s closet fetishes and everything to do with an 18th century whisky lover who liked to wear blue. Gee. Suddenly all those frequent customer points seem so hollow, don’t they?

#2 - Glenfiddich 40-year-old. Only 600 bottles were filled from the casks first laid down in 1963. If you have to ask the price, you probably can’t afford it. It’s earned enough gold medals to be served to Michael Phelps.

#1 - George T. Stagg. The pride of Buffalo Trace Distillery of Frankfurt, Kentucky. You can’t go wrong with a Bluegrass state bourbon, and if you’re willing to plunk down the bucks, George T. Stagg deserves a place on your rack.

[Reply]
Heatmiser 07:12 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:

PVW20 with ice? YIKES!!!!!!!!!! :-)
[Reply]
Heatmiser 07:18 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Although, a few of theses are not bourbons, I found this to be interesting. I found it while surfing. It's a list of the top ten whiskey's that everyone should try!

I have had #9 and #10 and loved them both! I have not tried any of the others. Have you tried any of these?

#10 - Wild Turkey American Honey. If your throat’s burning and you’re craving something sweet, try this honey-laced bourbon from Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Ashley Judd not included.

#9 - Dalwhinnie 15 years old. Scottish single malt, considered one of the “Six Classic Malts,” originating in the Highlands. Treat it respectfully or risk getting your head cut off by a Frenchman with a Japanese sword and faking a Scottish accent. (There can be only one!)

#8 - Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve. Regular Jameson on steroids, metaphorically speaking. Only 1,300 3-liter cases came out for the first vintage, which means you had an easier time getting the first copy of the last Harry Potter book.

#7 – Nikka Yoichi 20 years old. So it’s not from Ireland or Scotland. Japan’s an island, too, and in a 2003 blind taste test, this Asian single malt gave the Gaels one in the eye.

#6 - Suntory Hibiki 30 years old. Yet another entry from the Land of the Rising Sun, this whisky was declared the “World’s Best Blended Whisky” at the 2008 World Whiskies Awards. Boy, first it was cars, now it’s booze?

# 5 - Compass Box Hedonism. Winner of the 2008 “World’s Best Grain Whisky” award from Whisky Magazine. Made in Scotland by an American. Sip it respectfully, watch a Sean Connery Bond film, and chant “USA! USA!”

#4 - Glenrothes 25 years old. Another limited edition single malt, though with 2,400 bottles released upon an unsuspecting world, you may want to ask Glenrothes if they really know what “limited” means. Each bottle of this whisky contains spirits distilled in 1967, 1972, 1977, 1979, and 1980. Guess that’s what’s really going on when you save time in a bottle.

#3 - Blue Hanger 30 years old. The name has nothing to do with Joan Crawford’s closet fetishes and everything to do with an 18th century whisky lover who liked to wear blue. Gee. Suddenly all those frequent customer points seem so hollow, don’t they?

#2 - Glenfiddich 40-year-old. Only 600 bottles were filled from the casks first laid down in 1963. If you have to ask the price, you probably can’t afford it. It’s earned enough gold medals to be served to Michael Phelps.

#1 - George T. Stagg. The pride of Buffalo Trace Distillery of Frankfurt, Kentucky. You can’t go wrong with a Bluegrass state bourbon, and if you’re willing to plunk down the bucks, George T. Stagg deserves a place on your rack.
Not sure how this list wass put together as it is all over the map. The Dalwhinnie 15 is definitely good but there are plenty of other scotch whiskies at the same price point I would choose over this one. The Compass Box Hedonism is very good and worthy of trying. I don't think it is worthy of the asking price but definitely something interesting to try. The George T Stagg is an exceptional bourbon and one of my favorites. Each year Buffalo Trace releases a new George T Stagg around this time of the year. The sell quick so go buy NOW! It is straight from the barrel, unfiltered (YUMMY) and hovers around 140 proof depending on the year. Others that BT release each year are William Larue Weller (wheated bourbon = YUMMY) and Thomas Handy (straight rye, barrel proof & unfiltered = REAL YUMMY). I would buy all three of these for sure!!!
[Reply]
cbsmokin 08:44 AM 11-14-2008
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
Hey Craig can I come over :-)
Always welcome, bring your Zaya.

Originally Posted by Heatmiser:
I just can't do it straight.
[Reply]
glassjapan 06:04 PM 11-14-2008
Originally Posted by Heatmiser:
Gotta admit i was thinking the same. :-)

Now Stagg, that stuff i'll use a couple drops of spring water or cube. lol
[Reply]
cbsmokin 07:30 PM 11-14-2008
Originally Posted by glassjapan:
Gotta admit i was thinking the same. :-)

Now Stagg, that stuff i'll use a couple drops of spring water or cube. lol
Get as mad as you want, but I am at it again tonight. :-) Hey, at least I don't cut my churhill's in half.
[Reply]
newcigarz 07:35 PM 11-14-2008
Neat, neat, neat. That is all. :-)
[Reply]
MithShrike 11:01 AM 11-15-2008
For the price I really enjoyed Old Forester. Not bad at all and only a little over $25.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 196
« First < 234 561454104 > Last »
Up