Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Anybody Like Vermouth?
Snake Hips 05:30 PM 12-24-2012
I figure I'm an odd man in modern society for this, but I like vermouth the way it was intended to be consumed - either chilled straight or on ice. So far Cinzano (rosso) and Noilly Prat (original French dry) are my primary choices, though Martini & Rossi (rosso) gets a lot of attention from me, a lot of times because of its wide availability. I haven't gotten a hold of any Carpano Punt e Mes, Carpano Antica Formula, Dolin or Cocchi yet because of their prices and availability.

Anybody else a weirdo like me who likes vermouth? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 06:02 PM 12-24-2012
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
Anybody else a weirdo like me who likes vermouth? :-)
In Martinis, yes. Straight, eh, not bad, but not my drink of choice.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 04:47 AM 12-25-2012
Probably use more of it in my martinis than a lot of people ... at least 1:3. I've become a big fan of Lillet.
[Reply]
T.G 09:21 AM 12-25-2012
I don't think Lillet is a vermouth. IIRC, it's technically a desert wine that can be substituted for sweet vermouth.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 02:00 PM 12-25-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
I don't think Lillet is a vermouth. IIRC, it's technically a desert wine that can be substituted for sweet vermouth.
I believe Lillet is a quinquina, and barely one at that. Contains less herbs and quinine than Dubonnet, and Dubonnet is one of the subtlest quinquinas.

@qwerty1500
Good to hear somebody still goes for a more proper martini ratio :-)
[Reply]
T.G 04:51 PM 12-25-2012
I believe Lillet is a quinquina, and barely one at that. Contains less herbs and quinine than Dubonnet, and Dubonnet is one of the subtlest quinquinas.
Ok, that makes sense.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 04:54 PM 12-25-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Sweet? The white may have a very slight sweet quality. I'm substituting it for dry vermouth and it absolutely MAKES a martini.
[Reply]
T.G 05:36 PM 12-25-2012
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
Sweet? The white may have a very slight sweet quality. I'm substituting it for dry vermouth and it absolutely MAKES a martini.

I recall Lillet being somewhat sweet, but that was years ago. Maybe they changed the formula?

I don't disagree that it can go well in a martini, but that's really a matter of personal preference more than anything else.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 11:23 PM 12-25-2012
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
I'm open to anything, so I'll have to order a martini with Lillet in place of vermouth just to see. Maybe I'll be converted like yourself. When you say "The white," I'll assume you mean the original. I have a new drink order to fulfill! :-)
[Reply]
qwerty1500 01:00 AM 12-26-2012
When you say "The white," I'll assume you mean the original.
It's the Blanc. Let us know what you think.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:15 AM 12-26-2012
My mother in law has been drinking the stuff for years.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:19 AM 12-26-2012
I use it de-glaze when cooking or to add to a stock.
[Reply]
Up