Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Penn State legend Joe Paterno dies at 85
chippewastud79 08:33 AM 01-22-2012
A sad final months to an otherwise very good life. One of the greatest football coaches of all time. Its too bad that the people who he had around him led to such a fall from grace over the last few months. Penn State and college football lost a legend.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:11 AM 01-22-2012
R.I.P!
[Reply]
hotreds 09:12 AM 01-22-2012
Sad that his legacy is tarnished. I figure he quit wanting to live. Hopefully in the final analysis he will be vindicated in some way.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 09:24 AM 01-22-2012
Such a sad end. The entire Penn State situation was very sad all around and this just further adds to it. My thoughts are with his family today.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:42 AM 01-22-2012
R.I.P Joe. You're a legendary coach.
[Reply]
Mikey202 10:06 AM 01-22-2012
R.I.P. JoePa. Penn State has lost its heart and soul today. Thanks for alot of years of great football. In the next coming days, everone is going to hear how much he did for everyone that he ever came in contact with, on and off the field, and those he never even met, even me. I grew up 45 minutes west of State College. He was a great person, coach, mentor and example of how to be positive part of this world.He was a class act.

Sad how it all went down in the end.:-) The Trustees and political machine of Penn State be damned.:-)
[Reply]
EricF 10:15 AM 01-22-2012
R.I.P. JoePa!!!
[Reply]
Thrak 10:48 AM 01-22-2012
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.

When the news of everything at PSU starting coming out, my friends and I had a discussion and basically we all believed that if he got let go, he wouldnt make it 1 year without football... thats all he lived for and they took it away.
[Reply]
marge796 10:53 AM 01-22-2012
Thanks Coach Paterno for putting Penn State on the map. We've missed you since the moment you left, you'll never be forgotten!

Chris.....
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 02:18 PM 01-22-2012
God Bless you JoePa, prayer for you and the entire Paterno family! Ill never forgive the board of trustees, and interm president for what they have done to my PSU.....
[Reply]
Taki 03:14 PM 01-22-2012
Lost a great man today that helped so many others throughout his illustrious career. He will not be forgotten....God Bless ya JoePa and the Paterno family!!
YOU WILL BE MISSED!!
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:44 PM 01-22-2012
RIP JoePa....you will be missed.
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 04:12 PM 01-22-2012
God speed JoePa.

:,-(
[Reply]
Gophernut 05:15 PM 01-22-2012
RIP Coach Paterno. You were an amazing coach but even a better person.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:24 PM 01-22-2012
R.I.P. , JoePa.
[Reply]
Hem 05:43 PM 01-22-2012
Legendary Coach who's name was tarnished by a corrupt board. I hope they can't sleep at night knowing what they did to that man. All he cared about was football, that was his life and it is ever evident today. Penn State football was the only thing keeping that man alive.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 06:30 PM 01-22-2012
Originally Posted by Thrak:
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised.

When the news of everything at PSU starting coming out, my friends and I had a discussion and basically we all believed that if he got let go, he wouldnt make it 1 year without football... thats all he lived for and they took it away.
I'm not surprised at all.

1. I don't think he deserved to stay at Penn State. He ended his own Career.
2. I used to love JoePa, I watched him a lot (Being from Big 10 country)
3. I hate when people say that he was used a Scape Goat, but the entire situation is completely messed up.

I hope his Family, more importantly Wife, can find Peace in this completely terrible time. Not looking to start an argue, conversation about the Politics involved, just stating an opinion.
[Reply]
Stephen 09:13 AM 01-23-2012
Unfortunately, I can sum up JoePa's legacy with one quote...
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:23 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Unfortunately, I can sum up JoePa's legacy with one quote...
I think you are refering to Jerry Sandusky. :-) Its unfortunate that the people Paterno entrusted to deal with an issue beyond his control failed him and the university. :-)

Hopefully in time his legacy will be remembered as a person who was a family man, the best college football coach of all time, helped hundreds of young men become men and a philanthopist who donated his entire life to Penn State University. It is a shame that recently his legacy was tarnished by the actions of others around him, but in time I hope that he will not be forgotten as a great coach and mentor to hundreds and thousands. :-)
[Reply]
mobarbq 09:25 AM 01-23-2012
I think my esteemed fellow Show-Me stater Stephen is probably correct. There were so many nasty comments on Twitter yesterday, and a lot of them from known cigar peeps who frequent Twitter. I ended up unfollowing a few just due to their nastiness. I think the coach did what he had been told to do, as hideous as the whole thing was.

Here's my take on the thing (link to my tweet): http://tl.gd/ffusnf
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up