Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>2011-12 MLB Hot Stove
jonumberone 06:08 AM 11-08-2011
With the Cards installed as champions, it's time to look forward to the off-season.

The years top free agents

Albert Pujols
Prince Fielder
Jose Reyes
C.J. Wilson
Roy Oswalt
Jonathan Papelbon
Jimmy Rollins
Heath Bell
Carlos Beltran

Not a whole lot of Starting pitching, which means C.J. Wilson will get paid like a #1 when he is a #2 at best.
Reports are that Oswalt's back injuries has teams skeptical, but someone will pay him.

So, where do you think these guys will end up?
What do you want to see your team do?
Any big surprises?

For the Yanks-
I'm not really impressed with Wilson, but think he would slot in nicely in the 3 slot. You have CC at the top of the rotation, and you have to break up the lefties, so I like him better than if he was #2. I think this will be another year of a retread rotation, as the Yanks try to hold off pitching the Kids they have in the minors.
I also expect a big trade from them.
There in no way Jesus Montero will be on the team come opening day.
Some reports the Yanks are in on Beltran.
Not a fan of this, I would've loved him as a rental, but they don't need the 3 year contract that he will get.

The other free agents, I think that Pujols or Reyes will end up in Florida, and it wouldn't shock me if both end up there.
I wonder how much spending Theo is allowed to do?
I think he will target Prince and Albert.
Papelbon will stay in Boston.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:02 AM 11-08-2011
We need pitching. But looks like Alderson is still being held from the checkbook. Don't think we will be spending this year. Would like to see Reyes re-sign, but I really doubt that's gonna happen (with the rumored amount he wants).
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:14 AM 11-08-2011
I would love to see my Reds sign Reyes.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:16 AM 11-08-2011
I would be shocked if the Cubs signed Pujols. While he has arguably been the best offensive player in the league the last decade, he wants long term, and will be declining throughout the length of the contract.
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:09 PM 11-08-2011
rumor has Beltran to Sox to play RF....certainly better than JD the last few years....I'd take him for 2 years
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:33 PM 11-08-2011
The think both the nationals and marlins are going to spend money. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington offered Fielder big money and moved Michael Morse back to left Field. Florida needs pitching, I see them pursuing Wilson or one of the B level pitching free agents like Edwin Jackson. I actually don't think the Yankees will do much, maybe Wilson, maybe Oswalt (I hope not), but aside from that I think it's going to be quiet. Jose Reyes is going to be overpaid no matter where he goes given his poor health track record of late. Should be an interesting off season for sure :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 02:41 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I would love to see my Reds sign Reyes.
Reds don't have the payroll to afford him now. I hear they are interested in Jurjens and Prado and Atlanta is open to talks. I could live with that.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:16 PM 11-08-2011
What about that hotshot Cuban defector, Yoenis Cespedes? He's supposed to be the real deal, at the plate and in the outfield. Who aside from the Yankees can afford to take a gamble that's he truly for real . . . and truly 28, not 36? :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:12 AM 12-08-2011
Angels are the big spenders...Pujols and CJ Wilson....go figure....at least its not the Yankees...:-)
[Reply]
Jasonw560 10:49 AM 12-08-2011
Not worried about losing Wilson. Especially around playoff time.

I think the Rangers have a trick or to up their collective sleeve.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:53 AM 12-08-2011
I hope the Dodgers make a good acquisition!
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:54 AM 12-08-2011
Very curious to see where Cody Ross is going to end up. Love for him to be in right field for the Mets.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:19 AM 12-08-2011
I am glad to see Pujols get out of the NL Central. Now the Reds will have a better chance.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 06:07 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I am glad to see Pujols get out of the NL Central. Now the Reds will have a better chance.
Unless the Cards sign Prince Fielder :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:10 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Unless the Cards sign Prince Fielder :-)
Yeah, but now we're only up against one superstar firstbaseman rather than two.

EDIT: With that said, I still don't expect the Reds to win the division this year.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:18 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Angels are the big spenders...Pujols and CJ Wilson....go figure....at least its not the Yankees...:-)
Yeah, you're one to talk, what with the Phillies pinching pennies like they did with guys such as Cliff Lee. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:05 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Yeah, you're one to talk, what with the Phillies pinching pennies like they did with guys such as Cliff Lee. :-) :-)
I see your point, but disagree. I'm no fan of the Phillies, but there are big spending MLB teams, and then there are the Yankees. I know the Yankees have no need for Pujols right now, but I'm surprised they didn't at least put an offer on the table, just to see what would happen.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:20 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
there are big spending MLB teams, and then there are the Yankees.
This statement screams of the anti-Yankee bias that exists in the sports world.
In the 09 off-season, when the Yanks signed CC, Tex, and AJ, all you would hear and read was how the Yanks were trying to buy the World Series.
No one mentioned the fact that they actually lowered their payroll.
Last season when Boston essentially spent the same amount of cash, not a single mention of "buying the world series" and I doubt you will hear it about the Angels as well.
This will be the third straight year the Yanks will lower their payroll, and their plan is to try and get under the luxury tax limit.

Originally Posted by Starscream:
I know the Yankees have no need for Pujols right now, but I'm surprised they didn't at least put an offer on the table, just to see what would happen.
That's just silly, their is nowhere for him to play.
The Yanks don't collect players like baseball cards :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:22 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:

That's just silly, their is nowhere for him to play.
The Yanks don't collect players like baseball cards :-)
The Cubs do.:-)
[Reply]
Mattso3000 06:32 PM 12-09-2011
Now that the Pujols deal is done, what are the thoughts on Fielder? I've always thought the Rangers would be a good fit.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up