Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 8
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Sports>NFL's new safety policy
yachties23 05:34 AM 07-24-2011
Originally Posted by Sawyer:
He speaks his mind and he tells it like he sees it. Most of what he said was true, but there are definitely plenty of things to criticize in what he said. Goodell is a horrible commissioner and Roethlisberger is no Peyton Manning.
While I agree that Goodell is a horrible comish, would you go into an interview and say "If he was on fire I wouldn't even piss on him to put it out" about your boss? Kinda stupid imho.

Also can't remember the last time I heard a player talk about his team's quarterback (who happens to have 2 superbowl rings) like Harrison talked about Big Ben.
[Reply]
Sawyer 10:40 AM 07-24-2011
Originally Posted by yachties23:
While I agree that Goodell is a horrible comish, would you go into an interview and say "If he was on fire I wouldn't even piss on him to put it out" about your boss? Kinda stupid imho.
Like I said, there are things that you can criticize him for saying. He has very strong feelings towards Goodell. I would too if he kept taking money out of my pocket for playing the game how it is, in my opinion, supposed to be played.

Also can't remember the last time I heard a player talk about his team's quarterback (who happens to have 2 superbowl rings) like Harrison talked about Big Ben.
Pretty sure the 2005 team could have won that super bowl game with me at quarterback.

Originally Posted by :
Lowest passer rating for a Super Bowl winning QB — 22.6 (Completed 9 of 21 passes for zero touchdowns with two interceptions)

[Reply]
yachties23 07:34 AM 12-09-2011
James Harrison continues to be the NFLs model citizen....
[Reply]
Mikey202 08:29 AM 12-10-2011
James Harrison continues to be the NFLs model citizen....
Hey...he said he was sorry to Colt a couple of plays later.:-)
[Reply]
yachties23 10:28 AM 12-10-2011
Maybe thats why I'll never understand Steeler fans. I wouldn't even joke about a guy on my team who has a history of blatant dirty cheap shots with intent to cause injury, or support a QB who has a shady off field history at best.

Its hysterical that they always talk about the ownership as classy and a first rate organization, yet look at the product on the field.

Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Hey...he said he was sorry to Colt a couple of plays later.:-)

[Reply]
yourchoice 01:25 PM 12-10-2011
Steelers = Dirtiest team in the NFL, IMHO. It's like they teach their players to NOT wrap their arms.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 09:10 PM 12-13-2011
Harrison always whines about getting fined, but absolutely rips heads off...
I feel as if most of the new rules this Season had him and Suh in mind. Just my opinion.
[Reply]
yachties23 06:53 AM 12-14-2011
He actually laughed about it on his twitter.

The guy is a joke, and once the NFL tests for HGH he will be gone.

You don't go from a 230 LB practice squad guy to a 255 LB wrecking machine made of steel at age 26 without a little help.
[Reply]
waffle 07:00 AM 12-14-2011
He actually laughed about it on his twitter.

The guy is a joke, and once the NFL tests for HGH he will be gone.

You don't go from a 230 LB practice squad guy to a 255 LB wrecking machine made of steel at age 26 without a little help.
Or a lot of hard work and complete, free access to a top-notch strength & conditioning coach with every piece of workout gear in the world... Just saying with enough motivation and a guy telling you exactly what to eat & drink and how to work out, its amazing what you can accomplish.
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:48 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by waffle:
Or a lot of hard work and complete, free access to a top-notch strength & conditioning coach with every piece of workout gear in the world... Just saying with enough motivation and a guy telling you exactly what to eat & drink and how to work out, its amazing what you can accomplish.
People argued the same thing for all of the 50+ HR hitters in baseball ten years ago. We all know how that turned out.
[Reply]
yachties23 08:14 AM 12-14-2011
Oh to view the world through a pair of black and yellow glasses....

[Reply]
Parshooter 08:59 AM 12-14-2011
Well Harrison got a 1 game suspension for his hit on McCoy. We'll see if that changes his MO. Doubt it.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:11 PM 12-14-2011
:-)He is definitely not a Steelers fan, in fact that assertion is laughable. :-)
[Reply]
yachties23 07:31 AM 12-15-2011
Well than I apologize, doesn't change the fact that my statement is true.
[Reply]
waffle 07:59 AM 12-15-2011
Well than I apologize, doesn't change the fact that my statement is true.
Its true because you believe it.

I, in fact, HATE the Steelers, I was born and raised as a Bengals fan (despite the ownership having no love for me as a fan, I still love the team), however, one has to respect the hard work and dedication that is given day in and day out to put your body on the line for the entertainment of a country. Look, I wish I could say I thought the guy was using PEDs, I really do, nothing would make me happier than calling the dude a cheater, but I just don't see it as the truth. Truth is, the guy was making like $5,200/wk on p-squad, while nice, gave him the ability to train his balls off... A guy like Harrison doesn't seem like the type to want to put PEDs in his body, he looks like the type that wants to do it himself just to say he did when he's ripping heads off of players.. but then again, he can prove me wrong, so that's just my :-)

Originally Posted by yourchoice:
People argued the same thing for all of the 50+ HR hitters in baseball ten years ago. We all know how that turned out.
Ryan Howard hits 58 hrs, is he using??? Albert Belle, Greg Vaughn, Jim Thome, Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder, Brady Anderson, Ken Griffey, Jr., Andruw Jones... etc, for the 3 you speak of, I just gave you 9 that didn't so the argument there is that because there are a couple of bad apples, the whole bunch is spoiled is not true. I agree that the possibility exists that players in the NFL are getting away with PED usage (Brian Cushing), but I don't think that just because a guy goes from p-squad to the team because he realized he was too small to play LB in the NFL is a reason to instantly assume he was using. Almost every player that leaves college and makes it to the NFL bulks up or shapes up or trims down when given the opportunity to meet with coaches whose sole jobs are to help them do just that. ****, give me a conditioning coach 5 days a week all year round and I bet I could get into football shape as well... oh yeah and then I get a salary for doing it... thats just gravy!
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:42 AM 12-15-2011
Ryan Howard hits 58 hrs, is he using??? Albert Belle, Greg Vaughn, Jim Thome, Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder, Brady Anderson, Ken Griffey, Jr., Andruw Jones... etc, for the 3 you speak of, I just gave you 9 that didn't so the argument there is that because there are a couple of bad apples, the whole bunch is spoiled is not true.
You can't say those 9 "didn't". You gave me nine that either a) didn't use, b) weren't caught or c) weren't tested since MLB didn't start testing until 2004. More than likely, either a) or c). Anyone who's career ended before 2004 is suspect, in my eyes. There's a reason they call it the "Steroid Era". And you seriously don't think it's likely that Brady Anderson used PEDs? He's one of the posterboys, IMO. And I realize I set the barometer at 50+ HRs. My bad. A guy that went from averaging 3 HRs/yr to 20/yr is just as suspect.

I agree that the possibility exists that players in the NFL are getting away with PED usage (Brian Cushing), but I don't think that just because a guy goes from p-squad to the team because he realized he was too small to play LB in the NFL is a reason to instantly assume he was using. Almost every player that leaves college and makes it to the NFL bulks up or shapes up or trims down when given the opportunity to meet with coaches whose sole jobs are to help them do just that. ****, give me a conditioning coach 5 days a week all year round and I bet I could get into football shape as well... oh yeah and then I get a salary for doing it... thats just gravy!
I don't disagree it's possible, even likely, that Harrison doesn't use. Most players probably don't. My point was how many times did we hear "hard work", "training" and "eating right" from baseball players in the 90s and early 00s? A TON. It turned out a lot of it was BS.

All of this doesn't change the fact that Harrison is one of the dirtiest, non-arm-wrapping tacklers in the NFL.
[Reply]
yachties23 08:58 PM 12-15-2011
Personally I hate the steelers, and the team as a whole is loaded with dirty players, so yes my opinion is biased. Truth be told the NFL is very Lax on their PED testing. Yes guys get caught occasionally, but you can not tell me there aren't guys doing stuff either that can't be tested for, or even worse, know when they are going to be tested.

And I'm not saying a guy can't get in shape, but lets face it he went from practice squad, to defensive MVP in one season. That doesn't happen, ever. To anyone.

and by the way LOL at Albert Belle and Brady Anderson being on your list of guys who didn't use. Neither was ever tested.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:14 AM 12-16-2011
Truth be told the NFL is very Lax on their PED testing. Yes guys get caught occasionally, but you can not tell me there aren't guys doing stuff either that can't be tested for, or even worse, know when they are going to be tested.
Actually the NFL has one of the strictest PED testing policies of all sports and probably the strickest of the major 4 in America, with probably the biggest list of banned substances.

And as far as stuff that isn't tested for, the only thing I am aware of is HGH because there isn't a reliable test that doesn't involve getting blood drawn, and even that one is not proven to be 100% accurate.

Knowing when they are going to be tested is not an issue either, every Monday after a game a random sample from every team is tested as soon as they show up to the facility, with no way to anticipate if they are on the list. There are also random drug screenings in the off-season where you have 24 hours to appear at the closest testing facility. Failure to take any drug test within the prescribed time results in a positive test.

Now street drugs are a different story, but cocaine and marijuana aren't exactly helping people catch touchdowns or sack the QB. :-)

I realize most of your statements stem from your hatred of James Harrison and the Steelers in general, but they are not entirely correct. :-)
[Reply]
yachties23 10:12 AM 12-16-2011
Hatred is such a strong word, but yes I am biased. This is America where the court of public opinion rules, and just based off what I see on the field, and the issues with his character, yes I'm going to assume he cheats. If that makes me a bad person, or judge-mental, so be it.

Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Actually the NFL has one of the strictest PED testing policies of all sports and probably the strickest of the major 4 in America, with probably the biggest list of banned substances.

And as far as stuff that isn't tested for, the only thing I am aware of is HGH because there isn't a reliable test that doesn't involve getting blood drawn, and even that one is not proven to be 100% accurate.

Knowing when they are going to be tested is not an issue either, every Monday after a game a random sample from every team is tested as soon as they show up to the facility, with no way to anticipate if they are on the list. There are also random drug screenings in the off-season where you have 24 hours to appear at the closest testing facility. Failure to take any drug test within the prescribed time results in a positive test.

Now street drugs are a different story, but cocaine and marijuana aren't exactly helping people catch touchdowns or sack the QB. :-)

I realize most of your statements stem from your hatred of James Harrison and the Steelers in general, but they are not entirely correct. :-)

[Reply]
shilala 10:37 AM 12-16-2011
Maybe thats why I'll never understand Steeler fans. I wouldn't even joke about a guy on my team who has a history of blatant dirty cheap shots with intent to cause injury, or support a QB who has a shady off field history at best.

Its hysterical that they always talk about the ownership as classy and a first rate organization, yet look at the product on the field.
I went back and forth and read your statements you've made, and have seen that what you consider to be true and what actually is true don't necessarily have anything at all to do with each other, but I'll let you know what the Steeler Nation thought about Big Ben.

There's not a single Steeler fan who wasn't shocked when he hit the field this year. The fans almost unanimously expected (and wanted) to see him gone. The fact that he's still there attests to the Rooney family. The fans trust them because they have taken care of us, and have set the highest standards in the NFL for generations. I can trust that they left no stone unturned and know the full truth of all Ben's transgressions. I can assure you there are many more you haven't heard about, and that the organization has since reigned him in. Despite that, he remains on thin ice.
If the Rooney's kept him and are willing to vouch for him and work with him to make an outstanding human out of him, I've got to be behind them.

So far as Harrison goes, he doesn't have a lot of fans among Steeler followers. He's an asshole. He's got a big mouth, no respect, and isn't getting any love whatsoever.
The hit on Colt McCoy was inexcusable. I think a game's suspension is too light, and if he was gone for the rest of the year, it'd suit me fine. I'm hoping he's dealt away in the offseason, but I don't think he will be. I think he's going to be approached the same way Ben was. He'll fall in line, clean up his act, or they'll see to it that he's gone. He won't be the first top-notch linebacker with a bad attitude we've dealt away.

If you actually knew anything about what Steeler fans think, you'd know these things. And you'd understand what's behind a joke if someone makes a joke (and I'm not sure what the "joke" reference was).
If you knew anything about Harrison, you'd laugh at yourself about the HGH assertion. It doesn't even remotely make sense.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up