Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Open Box Cellar Storage
mosesbotbol 07:59 AM 04-07-2020
Anyone here store an open box in their cellar? My cellar is primarily for wine storage, but I thought why not throw any open box and see how it goes?

I was down to two Monte No 2's left in a box and brought it into the cellar. Added two SP Belicoso & two JL No. 2's to see how they smoke at lower storage temp, but higher humidity. My cabinet is at 65% RH. Figure if this is a failure, the impact is 6 cigars at best...

I keep plenty of sealed boxes in my cellar, but not non-sealed.

Current setting this morning:

[Reply]
icehog3 10:31 AM 04-07-2020
Following.
[Reply]
hotreds 10:39 AM 04-07-2020
Is it in a sealed container? I'd be afraid of bugs getting in an open box. Don't think I 'down want much above 75% humidity.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:52 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Is it in a sealed container? I'd be afraid of bugs getting in an open box. Don't think I 'down want much above 75% humidity.
No, they are not a sealed box. I am not worried about bugs. Too humid? Yes, that is a concern, but curious how a lower temperature plays into the actual humidity.

How long should I wait until trying the first cigar? Two weeks? A month?
[Reply]
icehog3 10:57 AM 04-07-2020
I'd say why not give it a month? They should definitely have acclimated to their new digs by then. :-)
[Reply]
markem 10:59 AM 04-07-2020
I agree with Tom about time, Moses. I, too, am following this thread. I assume that you have a finished basement? Sounds like it anyway.

I love these experiments. They so enrich our knowledge of our hobby. Thank you for doing this.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 11:42 AM 04-07-2020
Low temp I would not worry about at all. I used to run my 7' Vinotemp cabinet at 55 temp for all my boxes sealed and open. But I ran the humidity in the low 60's even the high 50's. I have found 70% RH + all I get is tight bitter cigars. But this was in a cabinet you may get a different result cellar I will be fallowing this also!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:54 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by markem:
...I assume that you have a finished basement? Sounds like it anyway.
No, the basement is with bare concrete on purpose to hold the humidity better

This years Culatello's.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:56 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I'd say why not give it a month? They should definitely have acclimated to their new digs by then. :-)
Ok, I'll report back in a month, but if I have one earlier I will update as well.
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 12:02 PM 04-07-2020
:-) you just need some cheese and crackers and we can Quarantine in there for a few years!!!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:36 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Havanaaddict:
:-) you just need some cheese and crackers and we can Quarantine in there for a few years!!!
This is a better view :-)

[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 12:51 PM 04-07-2020
Wowwww Moses good for you man, that is one hell of a cellar :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:11 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
No, they are not a sealed box. I am not worried about bugs. Too humid? Yes, that is a concern, but curious how a lower temperature plays into the actual humidity.

How long should I wait until trying the first cigar? Two weeks? A month?
The absolute humidity (same as concentration) has a nonlinear relationship with temperature and relative humidity. You can google it. Back during the cigar boom, there were constant flame wars over whether absolute or relative humidity was more important. It was largely agreed that the relative humidity was the key. People who make their living selling cigars or other agricultural products all use RH.

Geez, I hope we haven’t started the wars again!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:11 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
The absolute humidity (same as concentration) has a nonlinear relationship with temperature and relative humidity. You can google it. Back during the cigar boom, there were constant flame wars over whether absolute or relative humidity was more important. It was largely agreed that the relative humidity was the key. People who make their living selling cigars or other agricultural products all use RH.

Geez, I hope we haven’t started the wars again!
My thought on doing this was I know of old timers who kept their cigars in their wine cellars, so why not give it a try? Could there be some flora that effects the cigars in the cellar? Maybe. The culatello's are inoculated with a starter culture. I don't mind a touch of mold on cigars.

I am very familiar with the cigars I put in the cellar. I have plenty of SP and JL's from the same cab's in my cabinet to compare.
[Reply]
hotreds 04:07 PM 04-07-2020
Anybody with a Corgi is A-OK in my book!
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 04:08 PM 04-07-2020
This is a better view :-)

Like wine and port much:-) WOW
[Reply]
Weelok 04:22 PM 04-07-2020
My thought on doing this was I know of old timers who kept their cigars in their wine cellars, so why not give it a try? Could there be some flora that effects the cigars in the cellar? Maybe. The culatello's are inoculated with a starter culture. I don't mind a touch of mold on cigars.

I am very familiar with the cigars I put in the cellar. I have plenty of SP and JL's from the same cab's in my cabinet to compare.
Gosh damn, that is my kind of dream cave. Your missing some Scotch and Whisky but I will assume that’s in your Spirits Attic :-)

Some damn nice Port there!!!!!! Love a nice Port and cigar. Well, I love most anything and a cigar.
[Reply]
Scottw 04:57 PM 04-07-2020
I kept all my humidors with sealed and unsealed boxes in my cellar for 10 year with no humidification devices at all. The RH was always 63-65. Never a single problem
[Reply]
icehog3 07:22 PM 04-07-2020
PARTY AT MOSES'!! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 07:59 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
ONE HELLUVA PARTY AT MOSES'!! :-)
fixed it
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up