Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vino Temp vs Standard Humi
jdakine 04:48 AM 10-21-2009
I have to make a choice soon on either a vino temp or a bigger wood humi. I live Hawaii and I don't have a problem with RH, however I have a hard time controlling temp. If I go with the vino temp, what is the recomended RH since they are cooled.

Any and all feeback would be appreciated.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:58 AM 10-21-2009
IMO you have no option but to go with a cooled unit. Whether it be a Vino or other cooled unit you need it to keep your temps steady and below 68 or so.
[Reply]
acarr 09:17 AM 10-21-2009
I second the vino. The rh is going to be up to whether you like your sticks more or less dry when smoking them, anywhere from 60-70%. Your problem outside the vino is going to be keeping the sticks dry enough to smoke so you might want to store them in the lower range of the rh.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:41 AM 10-21-2009
Rh recommendations are the same 60-70%Rh depending on your personal preference. If you get a Vinotemp or other temperature controlled unit you should set it at its highest setting or about 66degrees. Most wine coolers are thermo-electric. Compressor type coolers or refrigerators will also work. But they need to be used with an external thermostat or temperature controller in order to increase their max temp to 66degrees.

There is an alternative to a cooled system and that is freezing. Many people freeze all of their cigars(singles and boxers) with no negative effects. See SilverFox's thread on Freezing for more info. :-)
[Reply]
Up