Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Should I move to San Diego or Houston?
Sauer Grapes 03:53 PM 10-12-2010
Salaries are the same the first year (San Diego is higher after that, but the difference will be eaten up with the higher cost of living and the taxes). I don't have family in either city.

My wife and I like a lot of things about both cities.

Houston: Pros: Cost of living and excellent winter weather, no state income tax. Cons: the traffic, the summer weather and my allergies may or may not bother me (more likely in Houston than San Diego, but possible in either city)

San Diego: Pros: excellent weather year round, it's San Deigo. Cons: cost of living, high california taxes, a bankrupt state government.

So, what do you all think?
[Reply]
The Poet 04:00 PM 10-12-2010
Houston may also be more cigar-friendly than Cali too. But on the other hand, I can't forget what Johnny Winter said: "There's so much $#!+ in Texas, you're bound to step in some".
[Reply]
Gophernut 04:06 PM 10-12-2010
Houston: Astros, Rockets, Texans, Aeros (AHL)
San Diego: Padres, Chargers, Seduction (Lingerie Football League)

Obvious advantage San Diego...
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:11 PM 10-12-2010
I've lived in California and Texas... I choose California over Texas any day of the week!:-)

There is a lot wrong with California but there is a lot right about it too.

I can be in the mountains in less than an hour. I can be at the ocean in two hours. I can water ski (with no fear of Alligators or fish bigger than me) or I can snow ski.

So much to do and see!!!

Plus, I have one of the best Breweries in my backyard!!!

[Reply]
SDmate 04:13 PM 10-12-2010
San Diego=S.H.I.T...nuff said:-)
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 04:16 PM 10-12-2010
If you don't have family luring you to either city, I can't believe you are actually debating this!?! Uh, San Diego :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 04:42 PM 10-12-2010
The main hangup with SD is paying $500K for an 1800 sq. ft. house that hasn't been updated for 40 years. I know, it's the price you pay to live there.

Also, taking into account the difference in housing costs and the state income tax alone, I'd be making the equivalence of $2000 less per month in SD.

Hmmm...
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:44 PM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
The main hangup with SD is paying $500K for an 1800 sq. ft. house that hasn't been updated for 40 years. I know, it's the price you pay to live there.

Also, taking into account the difference in housing costs and the state income tax alone, I'd be making the equivalence of $2000 less per month in SD.

Hmmm...
Move to Texas!!! :-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 04:50 PM 10-12-2010
For me it would be California.

Yea it's pricier than Texas but there is a lot to do especially family oriented things as well. The beach, the dunes, the snow, coastal trips, lakes, etc.

If housing is your biggest concern and the price of it then look around. You just might find a gem when you least expect it. My wife and I were debating on not buying out here until we found a 3400 sqft for $300k. Remember you don't have to live in San Diego exactly. You can search the outskirts and still find something.

I would suggest doing this for both cities of course. Ask the brothers from the S.H.I.T. crew about some places as well.
[Reply]
pnoon 05:01 PM 10-12-2010
You know my vote, David.
While I don't know anything about Houston, San Diego is a great, albeit expensive, place to live.
[Reply]
blugill 05:09 PM 10-12-2010
I'm reading the disaster classic Lucifer's Hammer, dude California doesn't exist anymore after Hammerfall!

I live in Oklahoma, I'd vote for Texas.
You'll have a ton of fun, there is lots to do, and you'll have some money left over at the end of the month.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 05:13 PM 10-12-2010
Money isn't everything, quality of life counts too. West coast is awesome!
[Reply]
Montano 05:20 PM 10-12-2010
Cali Baby !!!
[Reply]
yourchoice 05:31 PM 10-12-2010
The cost of living is obviously a big factor, but I've only been to California once (San Luis Obispo for a few days and drove up to San Fran for a few more), and I have to say, I absolutely loved it. Most beautiful part of the country I've visited (still have to make it to the Mountain West). If it were me, I'd pick San Diego in a heartbeat. Of course, living in New Jersey isn't cheap either, so maybe I'm just used to it. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 05:47 PM 10-12-2010
Cost of living is the biggest pause I have about SD (actually, probably the only major concern, other than the income tax going higher in CA). Cigar friendly doesn't bother me as long as I have a little patch of land and nice weather.

I've lived in cities as expensive as SD for the past 6 years, so it wouldn't be a shock to me, but I've never been a homeowner, and the fact that I'd get twice the house for less money in Houston (and a lexus if I wanted) is a definite draw for Houston.
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:55 PM 10-12-2010
Celeste said Houston David :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 06:04 PM 10-12-2010
i vote houston but im biased cause i live here, besides if i moved to cali id have to sell half my guns. we have beaches, we have cultural events and family stuff equal to cali. i love cali and my botl i know there but i say come to houston make your money and be able to save enough to retire in cali.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MiamiE 06:04 PM 10-12-2010
Miami is cheap now. Come on over!
[Reply]
lostark374 06:10 PM 10-12-2010
my advice even though worthless would be to spend a weekend at both. hit up some local brothers and get a real tour of each place..go places you would be going if you lived there ... super market, gas station, mall, schools, book store, get pricing for homes ect. take a good look around. things look very diffrent when your looking to move there as opposed to visiting. I love California and have been to Texas many times. Houses dont have to cost $500k it depends on what part on SD. same thing when looking for a home dont go look on Monday afternnon go on sunday then you really see what your getting into. price it out get a good feel for the area see which one appeals to you the most. I know i have been a few places that just feel like home.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:28 PM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by lostark374:
my advice even though worthless would be to spend a weekend at both. hit up some local brothers and get a real tour of each place..go places you would be going if you lived there ... super market, gas station, mall, schools, book store, get pricing for homes ect. take a good look around. things look very diffrent when your looking to move there as opposed to visiting. I love California and have been to Texas many times. Houses dont have to cost $500k it depends on what part on SD. same thing when looking for a home dont go look on Monday afternnon go on sunday then you really see what your getting into. price it out get a good feel for the area see which one appeals to you the most. I know i have been a few places that just feel like home.
Unfortunately, that won't be possible as the decision needs to be made this week. I've been to both a number of times, and I can't say I strongly prefer one over the other.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up