Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 91011
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Scotch Q&A
Starscream 06:38 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Ain't nothing wrong with Red Label. I actually prefer the red over the black :-)

I would skip the black and go with green. I haven't had gold, swing or blue yet though. Too pricey IMO.
The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 06:40 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.:-)
Yeah it's $220-$230 here. No thanks

Green cost me like $55 wasn't too bad.

Gold's nearly or right at $100

Red, Black, Green was as far as I went. I've only seen Swing a few times and it's $60-$70
[Reply]
w squared 09:29 PM 04-30-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
I bought my first bottle of scotch last night. Johnnie Walker Red Label. Before you get all "that stuff sucks" on me, I thought it was a good introduction to scotch blends. Pretty sweet and not much burn. Now I'm ready to move on to JW Black label and others. I thought it was a good intro to scotch. Drank it neat, and once again with a 1/4 tsp. of water. Better with the water.
I'm not a blend kinda guy...but if you enjoyed it, and enjoyed it more with a wee bit of water, then you're on the right road. Try different bottles, share them with friends...because they always taste better when you share them.
[Reply]
smokepuff 01:31 PM 05-15-2011
I thought I would my palette on this Scotch slope.
I purchased a bottle of Ballantine's Blended Scotch Whiskey, thought I tried blended before buying a single malt.
Does scotch need to allow to breathe before drinking, if so what are the benefits?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:39 AM 05-16-2011
Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better :-)
[Reply]
jayro75 09:08 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better :-)
Haven't tried the Double Black although I keep meaning to pick it up in my travels. According to a press release I read awhile ago it's supposed to be a smokier, peatier version of Black label. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you try it.
[Reply]
Stick 09:27 AM 05-16-2011
New beer store/ whiskey bar opened near me. Had some Aberlour A'bunadh which was damn tasty.

Here's their whiskey menu:
http://www.lizardville.net/?q=whiskey
[Reply]
Apoco 01:36 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Seconded - gold is the best out of the JW line imo
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
simplechords 02:43 PM 05-18-2011
I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.
[Reply]
76GTFan 04:14 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by simplechords:
I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.
I am not an expert, but I have tried quite a few and they were all pretty cheap. Here are a few to get started. And please no barking at my list.:-)

Inver House
Ballentines
McLallen's
Johnny Walker Black
Glenlivet 12yr

Most Scotch is relatively pricey, compared to other spirits. One of the reasons I haven't dove in head first with scotch.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 91011
Up