Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Damage or Beetle?
FrequenC 09:52 PM 12-16-2008
Basically, I was staring at my smokes when I noticed a hole in one of them, it looks more like damage than anything but I figure I'd be safe and double bagged it and tossed it in the deep freeze. What do you guys think? Image
[Reply]
bigloo 09:56 PM 12-16-2008
From that picture really hard to tell. It looks to me like on the left side of the hole there is some torn leaf which would lead me to say damage. But without knowing for sure, you were wise to take it out the humi and freeze it (or go ahead and smoke it!).
[Reply]
Mikepd 09:57 PM 12-16-2008
It appears to be damage if your talking about the mark at center (horizontal) center (vertical) of the cigar. Beetle holes are practically a perfectly round hole.
[Reply]
zemekone 09:58 PM 12-16-2008
looks like damage, from what i see the hole isnt uniform enuff...
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:09 PM 12-16-2008
Thanks guys, that's what I had originally thought but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry and since I can't smoke it right now I tossed it in the deep freeze just to be sure. :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:11 PM 12-16-2008
Based on my experience I say no way is that a beetle hole. I think you are fine.
[Reply]
Pat1075 10:14 PM 12-16-2008
I would have to agree with everyone thus far. Damage.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:38 PM 12-16-2008
You might want to check the other sticks in the humi just in case. But it does look like damage.
[Reply]
groogs 11:58 PM 12-16-2008
I am with everyone else, it doesn't look like any beetle hole I have ever seen.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:06 AM 12-17-2008
Damage

this is what a beetle hole looks like:

[Reply]
ucla695 06:40 AM 12-17-2008
Looks like damage, but you can do the tap test to be sure. Hold the cigar over a white piece of paper with the hole side down and tap. If nothing falls out, then your good. If small dark pellets fall out then it's most likely beetle dung/residue.
[Reply]
dcamacho 07:53 AM 12-17-2008
these damn beetles got us all scared! its definitely damage tho
[Reply]
goalie204 07:57 AM 12-17-2008
Alex, smoke it, and when you smoke past the damage all will be "up in smoke" and if it is a beetle (which im sure its not) you'll kill it and its family! :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:01 AM 12-17-2008
I vote damage...
[Reply]
md4958 08:02 AM 12-17-2008
am I the only one that doesnt see anything in the pic??? how tiny is that? are we talking about that teensey little fleck??
[Reply]
Cigarcop 08:04 AM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
am I the only one that doesnt see anything in the pic??? how tiny is that? are we talking about that teensey little fleck??

I think so!!

I don't think its a bettle hole
[Reply]
FrequenC 08:06 AM 12-17-2008
The angle of the picture makes it look a little awkward, but it's definitely a hole. it's a little bigger than a pin hole but my gut said it was damage because there were A) no beetle droppings and B) it looked smaller than what I've seen in pictures. However, I wanted to be on the safe side so I threw it in the freezer and checked the rest of the sticks that were with this one and they were all clear.

Thanks again for the confirmation folks! :-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:07 AM 12-17-2008
you know when you have a beetle hole! I thought I had beetle holes in the past, but just recently found a stick with them, its like clear as day. Also, if the cigars are in cello, you will find some "dust" inside the cello.

The edges of beetle holes look like they were drilled out by precision instruments, very clean and precise and also they have some depth to them, you can actually look down into one
[Reply]
md4958 08:08 AM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by FrequenC:
The angle of the picture makes it look a little awkward, but it's definitely a hole. it's a little bigger than a pin hole but my gut said it was damage because there were A) no beetle droppings and B) it looked smaller than what I've seen in pictures. However, I wanted to be on the safe side so I threw it in the freezer and checked the rest of the sticks that were with this one and they were all clear.

Thanks again for the confirmation folks! :-)
I cant blame you for being cautious. Since I got one, I throw all my sticks in the freezer now.. one day fridge, three days freezer, one day fridge... i think the days in the fridge lessens the "shock"
[Reply]
FrequenC 08:09 AM 12-17-2008
you know when you have a beetle hole! I thought I had beetle holes in the past, but just recently found a stick with them, its like clear as day. Also, if the cigars are in cello, you will find some "dust" inside the cello.

The edges of beetle holes look like they were drilled out by precision instruments, very clean and precise and also they have some depth to them, you can actually look down into one
Good to know! :-) I hope I'll never have to deal with it but the odds are more than likely against me! lol
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up