Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Recommend a Scotch that...
bigloo 11:37 PM 12-20-2008
has the smoothness of JW Blue. It can be blended, SM, but needs to have that super smooth body and taste. I am looking to give a gift to someone who loves JW blue and would like to give him something else.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions guys.

Lu
[Reply]
DrDubzz 11:46 PM 12-20-2008
JW Gold? :-) seriously, I like the gold better, smooth? Glenfiddich 15 yr is the smoothest I've every had.

lots more scotch knowledgable types around here though, but those are my two pence
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:33 AM 12-21-2008
IF you can find it......

Talisker's Distiller's Edition. Tough to find. Single Malt. Expect to pay at least $60.

I'm not a scotch fan at all. However, this one gets thumbs up. Had some Glenfiddich 18 (20?) year old that came close..
[Reply]
goalie204 11:40 AM 12-21-2008
I've never had JW blue so i can't compare unfortunately. But looking forward to reading some responses cuz i looove it smooth
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 01:01 PM 12-21-2008
Chivas Regal 18yo, at about 1/3 the price of JW Blue. It will amaze you, with it's smoothness and extreme complexity. Drink it neat, with a few drops of cold water and then give it time to open up, 10/15 minutes. It's awesome!!!
[Reply]
wayner123 08:08 AM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Chivas Regal 18yo, at about 1/3 the price of JW Blue. It will amaze you, with it's smoothness and extreme complexity. Drink it neat, with a few drops of cold water and then give it time to open up, 10/15 minutes. It's awesome!!!
I agree with you on the Chivas Regal 18yo. For me it has a little more bite than JW blue, but that is overcome with a single cube of ice. At the price point it would match up very well.

When you say a few drops of cold water, do you mean "a few drops" as in using an eye dropper?
[Reply]
Scottw 08:26 AM 12-22-2008

I agree with this but I will also suggest that if your friend is open to Irish Whisky, get him the Bushmills 21 yr old. Quite good, extremely smooth and half the price of the blue.
[Reply]
godzilla 08:33 AM 12-22-2008
yeah, chivas 18 is my blended scotch of choice. jw blue is way too expensive for how good it is chivas is a better choice. i have to point out, though, that i like islays so my definition of smooth might be different.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:02 AM 12-22-2008
There's another blended Scotch that looks like a rip-off of JW. Even have the similar colored bottles, but goes for a lot less than JW. I forget the name, but a large Scotch B&M near me boasts its QPR for this brand. I think it is someone's name like Tom ...

Surly someone knows what I am talking about...
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 01:06 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I agree with you on the Chivas Regal 18yo. For me it has a little more bite than JW blue, but that is overcome with a single cube of ice. At the price point it would match up very well.

When you say a few drops of cold water, do you mean "a few drops" as in using an eye dropper?

Actually, I have a friend that uses an eye dropper and he drops about five drops of cold spring water into a jigger, of whichever scotch or bourbon he is drinking. I think that is kind of neat. However, for me, I use a level teaspoon into a jigger. BTW, if your not sure, a jigger is a shot and a half. After you add the water, swirl the scotch a time or two, and then let it set for at least 10 minutes before you start to sip it. That will allow it to open up and offer a complexity of flavors.
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:17 PM 12-22-2008
I agree with the few drops of water. Once a guy showed me that trick scotch has never tasted sooooo good. Makes a huge difference.
[Reply]
MadAl 03:25 PM 12-22-2008
Springbank, Glenmorangie Port Wood
[Reply]
MadAl 03:27 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Figure between a teaspoon and a tablespoon.
[Reply]
bigloo 06:22 PM 12-22-2008
Thanks for the reqs. Off to find Chivas 18 yr. What about Lagavulin 16 yr? Smooth?
[Reply]
macpappy 06:55 PM 12-22-2008
A friend showed me a good one to try. He puts ice cubes in his glass, swirls it around a few time until the ice starts to melt and moisture collects on the inside of the glass. He then dumped the ice out and pours the scotch in and swirls it around.

And for the purist out there he makes his ice cubes from natural spring water.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:20 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by bigloo:
Thanks for the reqs. Off to find Chivas 18 yr. What about Lagavulin 16 yr? Smooth?
Lagavulin 16 is anything but smooth, it's very aggressive, oily, salty, grassy, hints of iodine, and above all, loaded with smoky, peaty flavors! It's a wonderful classic for what it is!!!
[Reply]
Cigary 10:53 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by MadAl:
Springbank, Glenmorangie Port Wood
Ditto, when you have tried the rest then try the best,,,nuff said!
[Reply]
RichardW 11:18 PM 12-22-2008
Lagavulin 16 is anything but smooth, it's very aggressive, oily, salty, grassy, hints of iodine, and above all, loaded with smoky, peaty flavors! It's a wonderful classic for what it is!!!
:-)

[Reply]
MadAl 07:40 AM 12-23-2008
Agree too!

The single malts used to create the Blue Blend are a little short on Islays (which includes Lagavulin)
[Reply]
Partagaspete 10:28 AM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I agree with the few drops of water. Once a guy showed me that trick scotch has never tasted sooooo good. Makes a huge difference.

ABSOLUTELY! It also really brings out the aroma. I have never had JW Blue but I do know I found Glenlivit 18 y/o to be about the smoothest I have ever had.

T
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up