Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Good Eats>Sushi
barbourjay 11:09 AM 01-30-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
The owner of my favorite sushi joint died this week. 44 years old with two young children and a wife left behind.

R.I.P. Hook. You'll be missed brother.
dude that sucks, been there before and it's good but next time you are this way on Mcmullen there is a place called kaikos and it's awesome. get to know charlie, he's cooler than most of the other owners I've met and will help you make up just about anything into a roll or try his traditional. he's just awesome and his place gets best of Tampa Bay almost every year.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 11:40 AM 01-30-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
The owner of my favorite sushi joint died this week. 44 years old with two young children and a wife left behind.

R.I.P. Hook. You'll be missed brother.
That is so sad. Thoughts and prayers sent.
[Reply]
rizzle 07:24 AM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by barbourjay:
dude that sucks, been there before and it's good but next time you are this way on Mcmullen there is a place called kaikos and it's awesome. get to know charlie, he's cooler than most of the other owners I've met and will help you make up just about anything into a roll or try his traditional. he's just awesome and his place gets best of Tampa Bay almost every year.
Will keep that in mind Jeremy. Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:20 AM 03-04-2009
I thought I'd bump this thread back up rather than continue jacking Ian's steak tartare thread with sushi chat...

First up: unagi. Discuss. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:28 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
Hey, what's the diff betweeen otoro & chutoro?
Otoro is a very fatty cut of tuna, and very tender. Chutoro is in the middle, fattier than the regular maguro or toro tuna.

Originally Posted by :
Oh, and hey, Jeff, you're close to Syracuse...you get out there ever? I've got a good friend from there so I'm asking her if she knows any good sushi joints.
I have not eaten sushi in Syracuse. You used to have to go to Albany or Binghamton to get decent sushi, but in the last couple of years, a good place opened up in Oneonta (where I live) and Delhi (where I work). :-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:30 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Otoro is a very fatty cut of tuna, and very tender. Chutoro is in the middle, fattier than the regular maguro or toro tuna.

I have not eaten sushi in Syracuse. You used to have to go to Albany or Binghamton to get decent sushi, but in the last couple of years, a good place opened up in Oneonta (where I live) and Delhi (where I work). :-)
Ah! So which one do you like better, Jeff?

I'm told by our friend that Ambrosia and Tokyo Seoul are good in Syracuse...(from our friend that doesn't eat sushi but has heard good things...she says both are good & Ambrosia has a good atmosphere albeit a little trendy).
[Reply]
Sawyer 09:33 AM 03-04-2009
Heading out for Sushi right this moment. Updates when I return.:-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:37 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Sawyer:

Damn it! So hungry.

Enjoy!
[Reply]
ucla695 09:43 AM 03-04-2009
That's it. I've had enough. I just can't hold out any longer. I'm getting sushi for dinner tonight. :-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:44 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
That's it. I've had enough. I just can't hold out any longer. I'm getting sushi for dinner tonight. :-)
:-):-):-) I'm still starving over here...

Hey Mike - I'm solo this weekend & probably hanging in Hermosa/Redondo for a time...what are you doin'?
[Reply]
Kreth 09:46 AM 03-04-2009
Ah! So which one do you like better, Jeff?
Otoro is my favorite, but it's also usually 3-4 times the cost of maguro. It's like the difference between filet mignon and a sirloin.

Originally Posted by :
I'm told by our friend that Ambrosia and Tokyo Seoul are good in Syracuse...(from our friend that doesn't eat sushi but has heard good things...she says both are good & Ambrosia has a good atmosphere albeit a little trendy).
I'll have to check them out next time I'm up there.

I'm really jonesing for sushi now, but I need to save money for our herf next week. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 10:10 AM 03-04-2009
:-):-):-) I'm still starving over here...

Hey Mike - I'm solo this weekend & probably hanging in Hermosa/Redondo for a time...what are you doin'?
My buddy’s celebrating his 40th down in Redondo Saturday night. We’re having dinner, but I’m not sure what the game plan is yet.
[Reply]
Sawyer 10:55 AM 03-04-2009
Updates when I return.
Chirashi Don with Sake, Maguro, Shiro Maguro, Hamachi and Madai. :-) Lunch started with miso soup and it was really hot. I didn't test it and I singed my tongue a bit, but other than that it was great.
[Reply]
Kreth 11:09 AM 03-04-2009
Chirashi Don with Sake, Maguro, Shiro Maguro, Hamachi and Madai. :-) Lunch started with miso soup and it was really hot. I didn't test it and I singed my tongue a bit, but other than that it was great.
That sounds good, although I'm not a big hamachi fan. They actually put sake in the chirashi don, or is it a dressing?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:14 AM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
My buddy’s celebrating his 40th down in Redondo Saturday night. We’re having dinner, but I’m not sure what the game plan is yet.
You have my digits.... :-) By the way, have you tried Ortega 120 yet?

That sounds good, although I'm not a big hamachi fan. They actually put sake in the chirashi don, or is it a dressing?
I thought he was crazy too but then I remembered that's salmon.
[Reply]
Sawyer 11:14 AM 03-04-2009
Sake as in salmon.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:22 AM 03-04-2009
(i had to look up madai though......red snapper) :-)
[Reply]
Sawyer 11:28 AM 03-04-2009
While I am thinking about it, has anyone every ordered any fish online? I have read good things about this company.

http://www.catalinaop.com/

Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to get your sushi/sashimi fix this way.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:40 AM 03-04-2009
Wow, awesome....see Ma$$holes, Cali's good for something! I don't know the company but our seafood is awesome out here & we've actually got the world's best uni up in Santa Barbara...no joke, most sushi bars, at least here in the US, get their sea urchin from SB. Thanks for that link.
[Reply]
Kreth 11:45 AM 03-04-2009
Sake as in salmon.
Doh! I never even made the connection! Shows where my mind is... :-)
(i had to look up madai though......red snapper) :-)
Yeah, that's good stuff.
While I am thinking about it, has anyone every ordered any fish online? I have read good things about this company.

http://www.catalinaop.com/

Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to get your sushi/sashimi fix this way.
I have not, but thanks for the link. I've been thinking of making my own sushi for a while now.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up