Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Beers for the Non-Hopwhore
Scottastic 10:50 AM 10-07-2009
Pick up some Delerium Tremens, you will not be dissapointed.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:39 PM 10-09-2009
try any of the offerings from Unibroue. I haven't been disappointed in any of them.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:44 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
try any of the offerings from Unibroue. I haven't been disappointed in any of them.
Trios Pistoles is my favorite!
[Reply]
Snake Hips 12:54 AM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by avid toker:
Sounds to me you're more of a malt guy especially if you like the Octoberfest brews.
Try any Festbier. HeBrew has a few maltier beers. I'd also suggest some great brown ales such as Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale or any Altbier for that matter.
Lastly, dopplebocks will fit your bill perfectly in my opinion. Ayinger Celebrator is a slamdunk as is Troegenator Double Bock (one of my favorites) and Weihenstephaner Korbinian. Enjoy and good luck on your beer discoveries!
Definintely more of a malt guy :-)

Doppelbocks? Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll look for some, particularly the German ones (yet to find anything Ayinger or Weihenstephaner in my state :/ ).
[Reply]
BlackDog 10:23 AM 10-10-2009
Have you tried Harps? It's available year 'round, and seems to me to fit the profile you are seeking. More malt, less hops, a little citrusy, nice head. Not complex, but a nice drinkable beer with the malt profile you're looking for.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 10:45 PM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Have you tried Harps? It's available year 'round, and seems to me to fit the profile you are seeking. More malt, less hops, a little citrusy, nice head. Not complex, but a nice drinkable beer with the malt profile you're looking for.
Harp, as in the Irish lager? No, I haven't tried it yet but I was curious; it showed up at one of the local liquor stores and the idea of an Irish lager sounded interesting to me.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 10:14 AM 10-11-2009
My absolute favorite ale is Chimay Premiere - see my avatar . It has the red label . As for Hoegarden , I love it but it's too lite for the colder time of year , definitely a thirst quencher in the summer . Harp is definitely a really good lager . Smithwicks is excellent also . I'm don't tend to like the bitter stuff but one I do like is RedHook ESB . I do like Boddingtons also , better on tap like most ale . Good luck and hopefully your shop sells singles so you can mix and match . :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 01:48 PM 10-12-2009
Based upon Bubba's comment above, and knowing it is available locally, I am drinking a Chimay Premiere as I write this. Very nice ruddy brown color. Big foamy head, setles down to lace fairly quickly. Starts sweet and fruity but is more bitter on the finish. Not hoppy, but not malty either. Nicely balanced. Perhaps more carbonated than I would have preferred, but a nice refreshing beer overall.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:59 AM 10-13-2009
I would recommend a nice Hefenwiezen or it's older brother the Dunkelwiezen. Very little hops but lots of flavor.
[Reply]
Ollie 12:58 PM 10-13-2009
This chart may help you (or it may just confuse you more, mwhahaha)

Attached:
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:15 PM 10-13-2009
Originally Posted by Ollie:

Attachment 4167
Dude that's an awesome chart. Thanks!
[Reply]
Snake Hips 09:25 PM 10-13-2009

Attachment 4167
That's actually really helpful, thanks a lot.

@BlackDog and Bubba - NJ
I think Chimay is pretty high on my list now. Red label, eh?
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:29 AM 10-14-2009

Attachment 4167
Love the chart Bro!:-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 12:18 PM 10-17-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
That's actually really helpful, thanks a lot.

@BlackDog and Bubba - NJ
I think Chimay is pretty high on my list now. Red label, eh?
Yup , red label . You may be able to find the gift set that has 1 each of the 3 types and comes with a glass . Goes great with a full cigar . :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 01:08 PM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ:
Yup , red label . You may be able to find the gift set that has 1 each of the 3 types and comes with a glass . Goes great with a full cigar . :-)
A gift set with a glass? I always get into trouble with those things :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 08:50 PM 10-20-2009
I went to the biggest, baddest, cheapest liquor store in the state and finally found Chimay...but $5.00 a 12oz bottle? Kind of hard for me. I opted for 4 pint cans of Old Speckled Hen, 4 pint cans of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, a 6-pack of Guiness Extra Stout, a 4-pack of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and a 6-pack of Oskar Blues Old Chub out of curiosity. The Young's is freaking awesome! Never had something like that, but it's delicious and perfect for the cold nights. Couldn't find a lot of my other wants or else they were too expensive for me right now, so that's why my haul doesn't reflect a lot of the suggestions. The hardest spend was the Samuel Smith...$7.99 for 4 12oz bottles? Wow, that's harsh. Fuller's ESB was like $12.99 for a 6-pack when I could get a 12-pack of Spaten Optimator for the same (and at almost twice the ABV :-)). I plan to get the Spaten (the only doppelbock I could see at a good price) when I raise more money.

Any opinions on Tetley's English Ale, Wexton Irish Cream Ale and Belhaven Scottish Ale within what I've described as my taste? I saw these there and they tickled my British ale interest. I didn't like Boddington's Pub Ale much if that helps.
[Reply]
Resipsa 06:35 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
Any opinions on Tetley's English Ale, Wexton Irish Cream Ale and Belhaven Scottish Ale within what I've described as my taste? I saw these there and they tickled my British ale interest. I didn't like Boddington's Pub Ale much if that helps.
If you didn't like Boddingtons you probably won't like Tetleys.

As to Scottish Ales, I prefer McEwan's to Belhaven, and if you like malty beers you'll love either of those.

Kind of curious as to the Wexton Irish Cream, but didn't want to pull the trigger. Too many bad college memories of genny creme out by me, :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:52 PM 03-09-2010
A suggestion would be Red Hook Blonde.

I would suggest trying some Scotch Ales and Oatmeal Stouts.
[Reply]
Hot Stuff x 09:35 PM 03-09-2010
Originally Posted by Pilon:

Hoegaarden is an easy find and a good beer as well.

I wouldn't recommend Hoegaarden if you don't like Blue Moon. They are both Belgian White beers (even though Blue Moon is domestic to the US), basically a very pale wheat beer.

My suggestions are:

Carlsberg - Danish all-malt lager

Foster's Lager - Australia

Molson's Golden Ale- Canada

Grolsch - The "other" beer from Holland

Shiner also makes a good line of beers if they are available in your area.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up