Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Gin Thread!
replicant_argent 07:31 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

:-)
I did it old school and just blasted them a comment via their "contact us" link on the site. Thanks for your input, sir.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:02 AM 08-30-2013
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:07 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 03:01 PM 09-02-2013
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:57 PM 09-02-2013
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).
[Reply]
pnoon 05:17 PM 01-15-2014
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

[Reply]
Felixcigar 12:37 PM 01-27-2014
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?
[Reply]
pnoon 12:41 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Felixcigar:
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?
22 posts in this thread reference Beefeater.
[Reply]
Felixcigar 01:52 PM 01-27-2014
Then I am in good company.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:53 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Felixcigar:
Then I am in good company.
Reading here is worth the time and effort.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:18 AM 02-05-2014
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish
[Reply]
pnoon 10:34 AM 02-05-2014
Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Lots to research and try.
Of all that you mentioned, I've only had the Northshore, The Botanist and Right. I liked the Northshore. The Botanist and Right were just adequate.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 02:27 PM 02-12-2014
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:55 PM 02-12-2014
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.
Will do. Thanks.
[Reply]
Gabe215 12:20 PM 02-13-2014
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!
[Reply]
pnoon 12:54 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
the MacDonald 01:11 PM 02-13-2014
Uncle Val's for the win. A G &T withe Val's is like nectar and the only thing getting through this winter.
[Reply]
Lockspur 01:39 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
I recently moved off of Bombay Sapphire and on to Hendricks. Soooo smooth.
[Reply]
Whee 01:59 PM 02-13-2014
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:-):-):-)
muwahahahahahahahahahah!

:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:53 PM 02-13-2014
Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped. :-)

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up