Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Pipe Lighter: Corona Old Boy vs. Xikar Pipeline
BamBam 05:47 PM 03-01-2009
I am really starting to enjoy pipes and think it's time to upgrade to a good lighter.

On the one hand the Corona Old Boy is a tried and true classic.

But on the other hand the Xikar Pipeline is less expensive, appears to work the same and is backed by Xikar's awesome warranty.

How do these 2 lighters compare?
[Reply]
loki 06:26 PM 03-01-2009
I have never used the xikar lighter but I wanted to. I have an old boy now but I do still want the xikar
[Reply]
mugwump 07:17 PM 03-01-2009
I picked up the Xikar Pipeline for $34 from Lil Brown Smoke Shack and have been very happy with it. I wasn't sure if this style of lighter would be right for me so I was hesitant to invest in an Old Boy. Also if you call the shop they have the other colors as well but only list the blue one on their website. And once you get one you can register it on the Xikar website to get a free leather slipcase for it.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 07:30 PM 03-01-2009
I love my old boy, never tried the Xikar

chances are for half the cost it probably works just as well
[Reply]
Pat1075 10:28 AM 03-03-2009
I've played around with both and I have to say the action of the flintwheel on the old boy is far superior. Its almost like you have to put pressure on to the xikar. But either way they are both great lighters.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 11:06 AM 03-03-2009
So, do you Old Boy (and Pipeline) guys actually use the tamper thingie or is it too small to bother with?
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 11:25 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
So, do you Old Boy (and Pipeline) guys actually use the tamper thingie or is it too small to bother with?
^what he said. am vary curious about wether or not those tampers are very usable or not.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:30 AM 03-03-2009
Have owned an Old Boy for about 20 years. They too have a lifetime warranty, if I remember correctly. I have never had to have it repaired, so do not know for sure.
[Reply]
Sawyer 11:48 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday:
^what he said. am vary curious about wether or not those tampers are very usable or not.
I do not use the tamper on my Old Boy, but it is serviceable in a pinch.
[Reply]
Big D KC 12:19 PM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Sawyer:
I do not use the tamper on my Old Boy, but it is serviceable in a pinch.

Agreed. I don't use mine regularly, but if I forgot my regular tamper, or can't find a pipe nail where I'm at, it does work just fine!

I think of it more as a backup then anything else. If I had to condense down pocket articles then I would be fine to just use the tamper on the oldboy.

ETA:
I do think I will pick up a Xikar pipeline! I got a Xikar torch that has about had it. I think when I return it to the B&M for exchange I will swap it for a Pipeline instead. Then I can leave the old boy on my desk for regular use, and use the Pipeline for pocket carry!
[Reply]
mugwump 05:32 PM 03-04-2009
I use the tamper on my Pipeline and it works just fine. I prefer the heft of a regular pipe nail but I've got no complaints.
[Reply]
Tetzel 01:45 PM 09-02-2011
I had to send in my Old Boy for repair. It took a couple of weeks, but I got it back in good working order. I am not sure if I could count on such service from another company.

Sadly I lost my Old Boy, and will be replacing it next week. Unfortunately during the time that has passed since I purchased it, the price went up from $110 to $190. Of course I had to choose the one with the smooth briar finish, which was more then, and now. Still, I don't think I'll change brands.
[Reply]
DaBear 09:16 PM 09-02-2011
Tetzel, if you're still looking for a new Old Boy, we actually have one in stock for $115.95 at work(Tinderbox Raleigh). Its got the matte black finish on it. Give us a call and we can probably work out shipping to you. (919) 787-1310. Try to call between 10am and 5pm EDT on weekdays as my boss will be in and is the one you want to talk to about shipping. If you get this by tomorrow go ahead and call if its before 3pm. Sunday I'm working and I'm pretty much useless with that stuff so it wouldn't be worth the call, but I'll try and take some pics of it for ya.
[Reply]
Tetzel 06:37 AM 09-03-2011
I appreciate the word on the Old Boy. I'm actually looking for one with the smooth briar finish. I had them put one behind the counter for me until I can get over to KS to make the purchase. All the ones I found online were more expensive. The price was $190. If you can do better than that with shipping, and have that model, I'd be happy to consider it and I'll just tell them to put that lighter back in the case.
[Reply]
DaBear 08:37 AM 09-03-2011
Ah, no problem. The matte black is the only one we have in stock. Wasn't sure if you still wanted one with the same finish
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 09:45 PM 01-19-2018
Any new opinions on this? I have been looking for a new pipe lighter and am debating between these two.
[Reply]
DMK 07:06 AM 01-20-2018
I've used both, preferred the Xikar and bought it.
Had it for about 5 yrs. now and love it
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 06:33 PM 01-20-2018
Thanks for the response Darryl. I might have to pick one up and see how I like it. I have seen mixed reviews but don't know how many of the negative ones were from user error. Better to hear from someone you know and trust. :-) thanks brother
[Reply]
Up