Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 48 of 198
« First < 38464748 49505898148 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Barcode 01:19 AM 02-19-2011
OK here is the question, does anyone know what type of cigar is being smoked on the Pappy Van Winkles Label?
[Reply]
HK3- 06:33 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Barcode:
OK here is the question, does anyone know what type of cigar is being smoked on the Pappy Van Winkles Label?
Just from looking at it... no way to tell. Maybe with a phone call or some googling an answer can possibly be found.
[Reply]
warren G. 03:19 PM 02-23-2011
gotta stop visiting my favorite store, just bought a bottle 2010 WLW
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 09:42 AM 02-24-2011
Just started easing into the bourbons pool a few weeks ago. I see a fast and slippery slope ahead and I have to thank who ever it was that suggested the ice cubes with the Woodford Reserve (Maybe Bangelman?). I tasted a glass neat and although nice, wasn't hitting my taste profiles and I couldn't grab the maple/sweetness I've read from others. Second glass was over two cubes of ice and man what a colorful difference. The complete spectrum changed to lip smackingly tasty.

Some very good suggestions in these pages. I've started a list of bottles to grab and you will all be recieving your portion of the bill to help compensate for my new found hobby very soon.

:-) :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:03 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo:
Just started easing into the bourbons pool a few weeks ago. I see a fast and slippery slope ahead and I have to thank who ever it was that suggested the ice cubes with the Woodford Reserve (Maybe Bangelman?). I tasted a glass neat and although nice, wasn't hitting my taste profiles and I couldn't grab the maple/sweetness I've read from others. Second glass was over two cubes of ice and man what a colorful difference. The complete spectrum changed to lip smackingly tasty.

Some very good suggestions in these pages. I've started a list of bottles to grab and you will all be recieving your portion of the bill to help compensate for my new found hobby very soon.

:-) :-)
Just a word to those that might be new to bourbons. Once you open a sealed bottle of bourbon, it starts a slow process of oxidation. This speeds up the less there is in the bottle (more room for air). The bourbon won't "go bad", in the sense that wine can turn to vinegar, it will lose flavors over time. Once it's down to 1/3 or less, may be time to have some friends over, and enjoy the remainder! So, try to finish up one bottle before opening another, or don't have too many different bottles open at one time.

Just food for thought for anyone new to this slope!!
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 06:24 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Just a word to those that might be new to bourbons. Once you open a sealed bottle of bourbon, it starts a slow process of oxidation. This speeds up the less there is in the bottle (more room for air). The bourbon won't "go bad", in the sense that wine can turn to vinegar, it will lose flavors over time. Once it's down to 1/3 or less, may be time to have some friends over, and enjoy the remainder! So, try to finish up one bottle before opening another, or don't have too many different bottles open at one time.

Just food for thought for anyone new to this slope!!
Thanks for the heads up. At this time, I've been buying small bottles that I can finish in a week or two until I figure out what direction my taste are going to take me.:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 08:11 AM 03-21-2011
Over the weekend at the VCM herf we sampled both the 20 and 23 year Pappy back to back to compare the difference. It was pretty significant. Some mentioned that they make a 25 year pappy. Anyone ever had the chance to sample that one yet? I'm on a mission to find a bottle now. :-)
[Reply]
Aero95 01:17 PM 03-22-2011
Great thread! My wife just surprised me with a weekend trip to the bourbon trail in April. I have chosen Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Woodford, and if we have time Wild Turkey. All I have to do now is find a good restaurant in the Lexington area.
[Reply]
yourchoice 04:48 PM 03-25-2011
FINALLY Buffalo Trace is available in NJ. Picked a bottle up today after work for $23.99 +tax. I'll finally be able to try this often discussed bourbon. :-)

What's strange is they have distributed their antique collection here for a long while. Why NJ didn't/couldn't get BT, I have no idea.
[Reply]
warren G. 11:49 PM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
FINALLY Buffalo Trace is available in NJ. Picked a bottle up today after work for $23.99 +tax. I'll finally be able to try this often discussed bourbon. :-)

What's strange is they have distributed their antique collection here for a long while. Why NJ didn't/couldn't get BT, I have no idea.
That is pretty strange. I love BT, pretty versatile. Nice enough to sip and it's pretty good in an Old-Fashioned :-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 12:32 AM 03-27-2011
Eh, BT is alright, overpriced IMO. You can get better for the price.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:29 AM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
Eh, BT is alright, overpriced IMO. You can get better for the price.
What do you prefer over it at that price point? I tried it the other night and thought it was good, but not great. At the price point, I like EWSB better, and Eagle Rare is very good too, but a touch more $.
[Reply]
ODLS1 01:47 PM 03-27-2011
Weller Antique 107 comes to mind. If BT is about $23, the WA107 should be about $20. If you run across Weller 12 yr, get it. It's only $22 around here when it comes out.
[Reply]
BigCat 01:53 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
What do you prefer over it at that price point? I tried it the other night and thought it was good, but not great. At the price point, I like EWSB better, and Eagle Rare is very good too, but a touch more $.
I'd rather have Elijah Craig 12 at a slightly lower price. I think it has more flavor and body. I agree BT is good, but not great. EC is better to my palate.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:54 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
Weller Antique 107 comes to mind. If BT is about $23, the WA107 should be about $20. If you run across Weller 12 yr, get it. It's only $22 around here when it comes out.
I actually did pick up a bottle of Weller 107 a month or more ago. I agree it is pretty good for the price, I forgot that one! I'll keep my eye open for the 12 yr.

I'm reserving my judgement on BT until I have it a few more times. Once isn't enough, but I wasn't overly impressed the first time.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:55 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by BigCat:
I'd rather have Elijah Craig 12 at a slightly lower price. I think it has more flavor and body. I agree BT is good, but not great. EC is better to my palate.
Haven't tried EC yet...I'll have to put it on my short list. Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 02:10 PM 03-27-2011
I also agree with the EC12.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:29 PM 03-27-2011
Last bottle of Buffalo Trace I got was $19.95. What is better at that price point?

I also got a bottle of Eagle Rare, but that was $20.95, another very nice one.

Have not found the Elijah Craig locally.
[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 07:21 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Last bottle of Buffalo Trace I got was $19.95. What is better at that price point?

I also got a bottle of Eagle Rare, but that was $20.95, another very nice one.

Have not found the Elijah Craig locally.
A close price point is the Evan Williams Single Barrel. Amazing stuff, and only 23.95 around GA, similarly elsewhere I'm sure.
[Reply]
Fishbeadtwo 08:40 PM 03-29-2011
been hitting the Rebel yell lately.....
[Reply]
Page 48 of 198
« First < 38464748 49505898148 > Last »
Up