Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Dracula
Don Fernando 05:13 AM 04-25-2010
After the success of the Tatuaje Frankenstein aka Tat Frank, Pete Johnson's tribute to a classic horror movie, Tatuaje Cigars decided to release 1300 boxes, each containing 13 cigars under the name Dracula a year later, again around halloween. These cigars are in high demand and hard to get but a friend send me one of these and a Tatuaje Boris, the other halloween release and later I was able to buy one of each too.

The Tat Drac is a 6¾ x 52 torpedo with only a small black & red band on the foot of the cigar. I notice that the band is upside down, which is a nice detail. This Nicaraguan puro has a tough Habano maduro wrapper. The construction feels good and that translates in a great predraw, which releases raisins and pepper. The cigar has hardly any aroma to it.

The first flavor I taste is a very pleasant coffee flavor, not as bold and strong as expected though. I notice that the smoke feels pretty cool in my mouth. Beneath the coffee there is a hint of chocolate and after half an inch I also taste some pepper. The coffee grows in strength and so does the background flavor which is chocolate. After an inch and a half the chocolate grows stronger. The feeling in my mouth is quite dry. The flavors are balanced, subtle and complex.

Halfway the coffee disappears and the chocolate becomes the main flavor with some wood on the background and I also taste some nuts. The nut flavor changes into toast real quickly. The last few puffs bring the nut flavor back though.

This Tatuaje releases a lot of thick white smoke and has a firm light colored ash. The draw is fine and so is the burn, although I had a minor burn issue because at a certain moment the wrapper tore a bit, but once I got passed that point of the cigar the burn corrected itself and was flawless again. This cigar is full flavored yet medium bodied, I expected a full bodied cigar due to the reputation that Tatuaje has, but it wasn't that powerful.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish! This cigar totally lived up to the hype.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 9 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:29 AM 04-25-2010
Thanks for the review brother. I have yet to try on of mine.
[Reply]
cigarlvr 06:17 AM 04-25-2010
Thanks for the review they have gotten better with time
[Reply]
TheGentleman 06:41 AM 04-25-2010
Great review. The burn on your stick looks razor sharp. I haven't had such luck with mine. It's probably time to revisit this cigar.
[Reply]
e-man67 06:46 AM 04-25-2010
I just smoked my last one on Friday. Started out sweet, then got bitter, then went to floral (couldn't believe that), then kinda blah and burnt tasting. I have only smoked 5-6 but they were all inconsistant. I had one of the bunch that was a steller smoke...wish they were all like that particular one...time will tell.
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 07:59 AM 04-25-2010
I have one that I have been saving. It may be about to to fire it up.. Thanks for the review
[Reply]
MedicCook 08:17 AM 04-25-2010
Thanks for the review Ferdie. :-)
[Reply]
jitzy 08:50 AM 04-25-2010
awesome review, I really liked this cigar and was getting the same coffee and chocolate hints you did.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:53 AM 04-25-2010
was it a torp or parejo version? :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:51 AM 04-25-2010
it was a torparejo Pete
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:57 AM 04-25-2010
Lol! Thanks for the Review, Ferd. I have two in my humi and I'm waiting another couple weeks or so to smoke one.
[Reply]
alwayslit 10:07 AM 04-25-2010
Nice review, I give them 6 months to a year more before I'll fire up the next one.....imho.
[Reply]
RightAJ 11:03 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
Nice review, I give them 6 months to a year more before I'll fire up the next one.....imho.
Same here. Loved the Drac right out of the box, but wanna see what some age does! I thought it was definitely different from a typical Tat, but fantastic in a very unique way.

aj
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:27 PM 04-25-2010
Nice review Ferdie. Gonna sit on the few that I have for awhile.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 12:38 PM 04-25-2010
Great review.

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Thanks for the review brother. I have yet to try on of mine.
I have two of these, but I haven't been able to convince myself to smoke them because I know they're a pain to get a hold of.
[Reply]
Patrick B 06:42 PM 04-25-2010
I didn't much care for the first few i had. Sitting on a few more and going to try to be patient with them. The Boris however is fantastic right now, as was the Frank I smoked 2 weeks ago! :-)
[Reply]
tomc3084 06:55 PM 04-25-2010
thanks for the review, im surprised no bashing yet lol
[Reply]
Sin 12:42 AM 04-27-2010
Awesome review + pics! I love this cigar
[Reply]
DPD6030 01:20 AM 04-27-2010
Great review Ferdie. I may have to try the one I have soon.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 01:21 AM 04-27-2010
The first one I smoked the same day I got the box and it wasn't great, plus pre draw was paint! Tried another on New Years Eve and the draw was very very lose and it would not stay light, and I smoke fast. So looks like its time to try a third one. All the new reviews are going great so maybe I will smoke one this weekend.

Thanks for the review, and I never thought of it but if you hold it like a wooden steak the band isn't upside down LOL
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up