Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
rizzle 12:15 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
My wife gave me a bottle of Goslings Family Reserve Old Rum for Valentine's Day which I'm quite looking forward to trying!
Pair that with a ginger beer and you'll be talking baseball. :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 12:46 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Pair that with a ginger beer and you'll be talking baseball. :-)
Might pick up a bottle of Black Seal to try that with, from what I tasted last night the Old Rum is a sipping rum that I won't be mixing (especially considering how much it costs in BC). I tend to prefer neat spirits to mixed drinks anyways.

:-)
[Reply]
Mark C 05:47 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
My cousin gave me a shot of Sailor Jerry and it was (to me alot better than those two)

What else should I look for.
You're on the right track, I think Sailor Jerry is much better than the Captain. There are a few good rums that ought to be easy to find most anywhere. Bacardi 8 isn't bad, and it'll be everywhere. Mount Gay Extra Old and Cruzan Single Barrel are usually easy to find, and I enjoy them both. The sweet rums like Zaya/Zacapa will be harder to find this far north, but you may be able to find a bottle of Pyrat. It's not quite the same as the Z's, but it's more common. Going in another direction, try a bottle of Gosling Black Seal. If you can't find any of those, drive further :-)

Might pick up a bottle of Black Seal to try that with, from what I tasted last night the Old Rum is a sipping rum that I won't be mixing
I've beeen eyeing up the Old Family Rum for awhile now, haven't been able to pull the trigger though. Is it comparable to anything else?
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:58 PM 02-19-2010
Drinking some Guat Zaya. Mmmmm.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:10 PM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I've beeen eyeing up the Old Family Rum for awhile now, haven't been able to pull the trigger though. Is it comparable to anything else?
Unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask that question. I'm primarily a scotch guy so my experience with premium rums is quite limited. It's quite different from both Pyrat and the bottle of Renegade (1995 Don Jose Panamanian) that she gave me last Valentines if that helps.
[Reply]
Wanger 02:53 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Drinking some Guat Zaya. Mmmmm.
mmmmmmmmmm indeed!
[Reply]
boom 06:59 PM 02-21-2010
Just picked up a bottle of Zaya today and will have a glass later tonight... Have been looking for Zafra but no luck....
[Reply]
DrDubzz 07:49 AM 02-24-2010
I acquired two more bottles of rum this past weekend, both Tanduay from the Philippines

one is the 5year Rhum, and the other is the 12 year superior. I don't know much about them but some buddies visiting the 'ppines hooked me up
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:29 PM 02-25-2010
I just saw this http://www.krakenrum.com/ at the store tonight, I may have to give it a whirl for about 20 bucks a bottle.
Sounds like a passable sipper and a mixer, but at 94 proof.. a tich of water might be a good idea.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 08:12 PM 02-25-2010
[Reply]
Mark C 04:41 PM 02-26-2010
Looks good, crack 'em open and tell us how they taste!
[Reply]
bookman 04:48 PM 02-26-2010
Pussers, baby!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:34 PM 03-04-2010
My most recent purchase. Cracked the seal, haven't poured any yet. Probably this weekend.
[Reply]
rizzle 08:19 PM 03-04-2010
Might pick up a bottle of Black Seal to try that with, from what I tasted last night the Old Rum is a sipping rum that I won't be mixing (especially considering how much it costs in BC). I tend to prefer neat spirits to mixed drinks anyways.
My bad...you're absolutely correct. I saw Gosling and automatically started thinking Black Seal. I haven't tried the Old Rum--yet. Have to add that one to the list to pick up.
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:48 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
My most recent purchase. Cracked the seal, haven't poured any yet. Probably this weekend.
Let us know what you think, Cliff.
[Reply]
Wanger 06:55 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Try it and form your own opinion, but for me, it would be nothing more than a mixer, since I've found some other true sipping rums. I went through a bottle and have tried it side by side with a good sipper. JMO, though.
[Reply]
Mark C 07:32 PM 03-06-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Try it and form your own opinion, but for me, it would be nothing more than a mixer, since I've found some other true sipping rums. I went through a bottle and have tried it side by side with a good sipper. JMO, though.
I think HC 7 is a fine sipper, it's very similar in style to some of my other favorites (for what it's worth, Zaya/Zacapa aren't at the top of my list).
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:28 PM 03-06-2010
Anyone else a fan of the Olde New Orleans rums? I had them a couple years ago when I was in NOLA. Fantastic stuff. Mix their spiced rum with some sweetened ice tea and you have a great beverage on a hot day. There 10 y/o is damn fine too, has a nice molasses flavor.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:55 PM 03-06-2010
Originally Posted by Mark C:
I think HC 7 is a fine sipper, it's very similar in style to some of my other favorites (for what it's worth, Zaya/Zacapa aren't at the top of my list).
Just like cigars, it's just a matter of palate and personal taste. I did side by sides with HC7 and Centenario, and with HC7 and Zacapa, and preferred the Zacapa and Centenario for drinking straight. Just depends on the individual.

Drink what you like, like what you drink. :-)
[Reply]
Mark C 06:26 AM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Anyone else a fan of the Olde New Orleans rums? I had them a couple years ago when I was in NOLA. Fantastic stuff. Mix their spiced rum with some sweetened ice tea and you have a great beverage on a hot day. There 10 y/o is damn fine too, has a nice molasses flavor.
Were you there before or after Katrina? If I remember right, they found themselves in a tough spot after the hurricane and I think a new owner came in, resulting in some changes.

Originally Posted by icehog3:
Just like cigars, it's just a matter of palate and personal taste. I did side by sides with HC7 and Centenario, and with HC7 and Zacapa, and preferred the Zacapa and Centenario for drinking straight. Just depends on the individual.

Drink what you like, like what you drink. :-)
That's why rum is such a great spirit, I think there's more variety here than any other spirit (Scotch is probably a close second). Every island/country has their own style, so there's something for everyone. Kinda like cigars :-)
[Reply]
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3111213 141523 > Last »
Up