Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Need Irish Whiskey Advice...
badbriar 09:05 PM 07-24-2013
As a fine Kentucky Bourbon enthusiast, I have little knowledge of Irish Whiskeys and thought the brothers here could offer some sage advice on the subject. I'd like to find a nice, mid-priced Irish that is a bit of something special. Maybe something similar to a Jeffersons small batch bourbon (really good sipping bourbon). Recommendations please, gents.
Thx- :-)
RR
[Reply]
markem 09:09 PM 07-24-2013
What Irish whiskeys are you able to get? What's mid-priced?
[Reply]
pnoon 09:30 PM 07-24-2013
Connemara Single Malt Irish Whiskey.
:-)
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...0564&Ns=Name|0
[Reply]
smokin5 10:41 PM 07-24-2013
Concannon is a very pleasant light Irish whiskey, about $25/750 ml.
This coming from a guy who mostly drinks bourbon. And gin. And rum.
And tequila.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:43 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Concannon is a very pleasant light Irish whiskey, about $25/750 ml.
This coming from a guy who mostly drinks bourbon. And gin. And bourbon. And rum. And bourbon. And tequila. And bourbon.
Fixed your post for ya, Counselor.
[Reply]
smokin5 10:54 PM 07-24-2013
Oh, yeah. I forgot those extra bourbons, huh?
Duly noted. Especially on a Wednesday Herf night.
[Reply]
Simple1 11:34 PM 07-24-2013
I'm a scotch and bourbon drinker myself. I'm going to give those suggestions a try. Thanks
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:55 PM 07-24-2013
I think I will as well... Never hurts adding to ones repertoire, right? :-)
[Reply]
Ed M 06:26 AM 07-25-2013
Tullamore Dew is my favorite, I drink it neat. Very smooth.
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:34 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by Ed M:
This is my favorite too, and it's real easy to find. I've seen it most places when on vacations and trips too.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:57 AM 07-25-2013
I love Irish whiskey. As "mid-priced" means different things to different people I'm excluding the "entry-level" whiskies like plain old Jameson's (which I love), Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, Kilbeggan, etc., and I've tried to keep my recommendations to <$60:

- Green Spot, if you can find it. Very tasty, but made in limited production.
- 12-year old Jameson
- Jameson's Gold (one of my favorites)
- Tyrconnel Single Malt
- Connemara. This is an interesting one because it's peated so has some smokiness to it like a Scotch.
- Bushmill's 10-year old or 16-year old
- Knappogue Castle
- Michael Collins Single Malt
- Tullamore Dew 10-year
- Redbreast

If you're willing to spend about $80-$90, Jameson's 18-Year Old is a phenomenal whiskey, up there with some of the best I've ever had.
[Reply]
organgrinder 10:05 AM 07-25-2013
Bushmill's also makes a variety called black bush absolutely wonderful nice and smooth
[Reply]
RepoGenetic 10:54 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I love Irish whiskey. As "mid-priced" means different things to different people I'm excluding the "entry-level" whiskies like plain old Jameson's (which I love), Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, Kilbeggan, etc., and I've tried to keep my recommendations to <$60:

- Green Spot, if you can find it. Very tasty, but made in limited production.
- 12-year old Jameson
- Jameson's Gold (one of my favorites)
- Tyrconnel Single Malt
- Connemara. This is an interesting one because it's peated so has some smokiness to it like a Scotch.
- Bushmill's 10-year old or 16-year old
- Knappogue Castle
- Michael Collins Single Malt
- Tullamore Dew 10-year
- Redbreast

If you're willing to spend about $80-$90, Jameson's 18-Year Old is a phenomenal whiskey, up there with some of the best I've ever had.
YES. Redbreast is my favorite. The slightly more expensive Cask Strength 12 Year is far and away my favorite Irish ever. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 03:50 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by RepoGenetic:
YES. Redbreast is my favorite. The slightly more expensive Cask Strength 12 Year is far and away my favorite Irish ever. :-)
Yeah, that's a tasty damned whiskey!
[Reply]
bstarrs 05:54 PM 07-25-2013
Of all the one's that I enjoyed drinking while I lived there last year I would have to say Redbreast, Green Spot (don't know if you will be able to find this though), and Bushmills 10.
[Reply]
BigCat 03:11 PM 07-27-2013
One more vote each for Concannon, Jameson, Tullemore Dew and Redbreast, probably in reverse order.
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 04:34 PM 07-27-2013
All you really need to know is...

Bushmills Black Bush
Redbreast
Jameson Reserve Gold Label
[Reply]
badbriar 10:04 PM 07-27-2013
Decided on Bushmills Blackbush and Michael Collins 10 year single malt. Both are very good - very different. The Blackbush is a bit sweeter and lighter, but has a lot of different flavors going pn. the Michael Collins is lightly peated, so has a definite smoky tone. very complex Irish. Compared to a small batch bourbon, like Jeffersons Small Batch, I find Irish Whiskeys to be a bit smoother and slightly thinner in body, with a much shorter finish. These go very well with a good cigar or nice pipe bowl of a good english blend. Next will try Knappogue Irish Malt 12 Yr. Nice change of pace to add to fine Kentucky bourbons and scotch whiskeys. Thanks for the suggestions.
RR
[Reply]
billybarue 02:25 PM 07-30-2013
Redbreast
[Reply]
BloodSpite 10:30 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Ed M:
Put me in this arena

Also may I suggest Red breast 12 year. It was rated a 90 not too long ago and is also well flavoured.

If you want to spend a pretty penny? My absolute favorite that I buy once a year is Green Spot
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up