Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 196
« First < 91011 12132161111 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
BengalMan 09:02 PM 02-27-2009
Just poured a glass of George Stagg, love this stuff...
[Reply]
Darrell 09:02 PM 02-27-2009
I have a bottle of Bourbon that Bobarian gave me for Christmas. How are you supposed to drink this stuff?
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:19 PM 02-27-2009
Bourbon is best drank IMO with one ice cube per shot. I've found that while drinking it straight without ice will give you a great flavor profile, adding an ice cube per ounce really brings the flavors out.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:48 PM 02-27-2009
I don't think it's for me. I had some with some ice. The fire from it almost shut my throat down. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:02 PM 02-27-2009
Sounds like you need help, just want to say that I'm here for you, D. :-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:27 PM 02-27-2009
I picked up some Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr 90proof tonight and its pretty tasty. Tomorrow I think I'll go back and get the 10yr 107proof.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 07:39 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I picked up some Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr 90proof tonight and its pretty tasty. Tomorrow I think I'll go back and get the 10yr 107proof.
awsmith - any pappy is good stuff. if you can, try the 20 year old. oh my...

still saving up for a bottle of the 23 year old... it's either that or a box of siglo IIIs! :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 09:10 AM 02-28-2009
I just cant understand some of the bourbon selections in here. Different strokes for different folks. I lived in Central KY for 14 years and have been to almost every distillery in the area. My favorites are:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage
1792 Barrel Select

And I know a few master distillers personally. There are secrets in the bourbon industry!
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 11:22 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I don't think it's for me. I had some with some ice. The fire from it almost shut my throat down. :-)
Try diluting it slightly. Use Spring Water, not tap water, as it has chlorine in it. Buy some spring water, about a buck for a gallon. Place some water in the frig and wait a few hours so it get nice and cold. Mix it at one shot of booze to 1/2 shot of cold Spring Water (no ice).Let it set for a minute or two and then try sipping it. The water will open up the flavors slightly and should dilute the alcohol enough to stop any real bite from it.

If that doesn't work for you, then bourbon may not be your thing. Using more water will only ruin a true bourbon experience.

BTW what is the proof of the bourbon your trying to drink?
[Reply]
BengalMan 01:11 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
I just cant understand some of the bourbon selections in here. Different strokes for different folks. I lived in Central KY for 14 years and have been to almost every distillery in the area. My favorites are:

Four Roses Single Barrel
1792 Barrel Select

And I know a few master distillers personally. There are secrets in the bourbon industry!
Your right, everyone likes different things. Me personally, I'm not very much a fan of the Evan Williams or the 1792. I think they're ok, but there are plenty others that I'd grab for before those.
[Reply]
newcigarz 02:14 PM 02-28-2009
I just cant understand some of the bourbon selections in here.
I guess I don't understand this statement. Care to expand?:-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:25 PM 02-28-2009

Four Roses Single Barrel
1792 Barrel Select

Can you clarify what it is that you mean by the above statement?
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:14 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Can you clarify what it is that you mean by the above statement?
I dont know how to make it much clearer. I guess I was just surprised at certain bourbons that were listed and others I did not see pop up too often. And I dont just mean the ones I listed because those were listed a couple times. Not saying it is a bad thing..I think it is great that different people enjoy different bourbons...same thing for cigars! I happen to like most bourbons, just some more than others.

Happy drinking and happy smoking!
[Reply]
Heatmiser 12:29 AM 03-01-2009

Four Roses Single Barrel
1792 Barrel Select

Different strokes for different folks is exactly what I thought after reading this post. Of his list of favorites, the only one I like is the Four Roses SB, which is quite good. Of course, there is an extensive list of other bourbons I would take over Four Roses.
[Reply]
newcigarz 05:35 AM 03-01-2009
I dont know how to make it much clearer. I guess I was just surprised at certain bourbons that were listed and others I did not see pop up too often.
I don't want to make this into a big thing either. But I am still not sure what you mean by your comment and I don't think it is clear at all.

Which Bourbons in particular suprise you? Eagle Rare, Stagg, Knob Creek, or something else? What surprises you about these or others? their price, their
availability, their taste? And these secrets? If you have insider knowledge about the bourbon industry that's great, but why elude to it here without some expectation of curiousity?

I just feel to throw a statement out there in this thread caused a least two members to say huh? :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:26 AM 03-01-2009
Ok I guess I am more suprised by what I did not see or see very often to include:

Old Weller
Elijah Craig SB
Hancocks Reserve
Jefferson Reserve
Old Rip Van Winkle
Blantons
Bookers

Also as far as secrets if you drink certain "premium" bourbons next to certain "cheap" bourbons, you will see how eerily similar they taste.
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:34 AM 03-01-2009

Also as far as secrets if you drink certain "premium" bourbons next to certain "cheap" bourbons, you will see how eerily similar they taste.
Any "cheap" bourbons we should try?
[Reply]
Heatmiser 11:13 AM 03-01-2009
I always thought that bourbon barrels that fit a particular taste profile are bottled accordingly and that there are a number of different brands that can come from the same stock. Usually the honey barrels would go to the premium brands. Of course this is what I have come to understand but please inform me if this is incorrect...
[Reply]
BengalMan 12:58 PM 03-01-2009
There are plenty of cheap bourbons that are VERY good. They include:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 - 90 proof
Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old
Very Old Barton 100
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond
Old Fitzgerald 1849
Old Forester 100 proof Signature

Hope this helps.
[Reply]
newcigarz 01:23 PM 03-01-2009
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
There are plenty of cheap bourbons that are VERY good. They include:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 - 90 proof
Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old
Very Old Barton 100
Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond
Old Fitzgerald 1849
Old Forester 100 proof Signature

Hope this helps.
Yep nobody said expensive = good. Though some products are worth the money IMHO.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 196
« First < 91011 12132161111 > Last »
Up