Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Sam Adams Seasonals
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:27 PM 10-29-2009
I really enjoy the Octoberfest, and it will soon be no longer availible around here. I am interested as to what else Sam Adams has to offer in line with their seasonals, more specifically, Winter Lager, Old Fezziwig, and the Holiday Porter. Those really are the only other beers that interest me as far as Sam Adams goes. Can anyone give a good report on those beers??
[Reply]
The Poet 01:43 PM 10-29-2009
I've had all three, though it was last year. I'm more a lager guy, so I enjoyed the Winter Lager most - in fact, I just got a case here into the shop, and if I don't sell it soon I may have to drink it myself, all's the pity. The OF and the HP are very good "stout" beers that don't leave that yucky scum some do, if I recall correctly. Sam does put out - or used to anyway - a holiday pack that has a dozen bottles, 6 each of their winter blends in it. Look for it, or ask you local vendor.

Hey, if you were closer, I'd order it for you myself. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:49 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I've had all three, though it was last year. I'm more a lager guy, so I enjoyed the Winter Lager most - in fact, I just got a case here into the shop, and if I don't sell it soon I may have to drink it myself, all's the pity. The OF and the HP are very good "stout" beers that don't leave that yucky scum some do, if I recall correctly. Sam does put out - or used to anyway - a holiday pack that has a dozen bottles, 6 each of their winter blends in it. Look for it, or ask you local vendor.

Hey, if you were closer, I'd order it for you myself. :-)
I am going to look for it friday after work:-) Is it the Winter Lager and the OF, or the Porter that comes in the pack?
[Reply]
jledou 01:52 PM 10-29-2009
Just picked up a 6pk of the winter lager last night for the weekend.
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:53 PM 10-29-2009
I've had a 6 pack and a few pints from a keg of winter ale this year. Honestly, I'm going to recommend sticking to bottle version with this. I'm not good a describing beers so, go buy some you wont be upset.
Kegged version had a metallic after taste to it. I don't know if this was manufacture or the place which I received it.
[Reply]
icantbejon 01:54 PM 10-29-2009
The winter lager is perhaps my favorite American beer of all time. I just found it in stores this past week and I couldn't be more happy. The HP is decent and I don't recall liking the OF all that much. That sampler pack mentioned above is good, except that SA's alway's puts their Boston Lager in every sampler. Drives me crazy.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:56 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
The winter lager is perhaps my favorite American beer of all time. I just found it in stores this past week and I couldn't be more happy. The HP is decent and I don't recall liking the OF all that much. That sampler pack mentioned above is good, except that SA's alway's puts their Boston Lager in every sampler. Drives me crazy.
Hmm, im not crazy about their regular production beer. But I will still get the sampler pack if it has the winter seasonals in it.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:57 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I've had a 6 pack and a few pints from a keg of winter ale this year. Honestly, I'm going to recommend sticking to bottle version with this. I'm not good a describing beers so, go buy some you wont be upset.
Kegged version had a metallic after taste to it. I don't know if this was manufacture or the place which I received it.
Do you mean the Old Fezziewig?
[Reply]
The Poet 01:57 PM 10-29-2009
Correction: I wrote "6 each" when I meant "2 each of their 6 blends. Guess I shouldn't start drinking so early.
[Reply]
icantbejon 01:58 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Hmm, im not crazy about their regular production beer. But I will still get the sampler pack if it has the winter seasonals in it.
It would only be two bottles...but it still drives me crazy. Their fall sampler had the BL and their cherry wheat, which I find almost repulsive so it was four "wasted" beers in my opinion. I drank the BLs but I can't stand CW so I tried giving it to JK5's girl. She didn't like it either so down the drain it went.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:58 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Correction: I wrote "6 each" when I meant "2 each of their 6 blends. Guess I shouldn't start drinking so early.
Thanks for the correction:-):-)
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:58 PM 10-29-2009
Do you mean the Old Fezziewig?
No, my bad I meant Winter Lager.
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:59 PM 10-29-2009
It would only be two bottles...but it still drives me crazy. Their fall sampler had the BL and their cherry wheat, which I find almost repulsive so it was four "wasted" beers in my opinion. I drank the BLs but I can't stand CW so I tried giving it to JK5's girl. She didn't like it either so down the drain it went.
Agreed boston lager and cherry beer are dog crap.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:01 PM 10-29-2009
That sucks. The only Sam Adams I like is their Octoberfest, but havent had the winter seasonals so I am gonna try em' out.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:02 PM 10-29-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
No, my bad I meant Winter Lager.
Nice, I know my vendor has this:-)
[Reply]
icantbejon 02:14 PM 10-29-2009
That sucks. The only Sam Adams I like is their Octoberfest, but havent had the winter seasonals so I am gonna try em' out.
I just got turned on to the Oktoberfest this fall. For some reason I have never tried it before. I try almost every beer I can get my hands on at least once, and this one always went unnoticed. It is a very tasty beer. Great warmup to the Winter Lager. However, it's not as good as the Winter Lager IMO.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:21 PM 10-29-2009
I just got turned on to the Oktoberfest this fall. For some reason I have never tried it before. I try almost every beer I can get my hands on at least once, and this one always went unnoticed. It is a very tasty beer. Great warmup to the Winter Lager. However, it's not as good as the Winter Lager IMO.
It would be nice to find something other than the Octoberfest from SA that I can enjoy. Winter Lager sounds really good.
[Reply]
BigFrank 04:06 PM 10-29-2009
I personally enjoy Cream Stout, and Black Lager they make. You can get these year round.
[Reply]
Scimmia 04:15 PM 10-29-2009
The Old Fezziwig is very popular, as is the Holiday Porter. Unfortunately, they're only available in the winter mix pack. I'm not a fan of spice beers, so the Old Fezziwig and the Winter Lager aren't my favorites, but the Holiday Porter is good. The Winter Mix Pack also includes the Cranberry Lambic (absolutely horrible, IMO), Boston Lager, and Coastal Wheat. Why they would put a light wheat beer in a winter pack, I'll never know, but with only two out of six beers that I'd drink, it's not something I'll be buying.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 04:47 PM 10-29-2009
The Cranberry Lambic is the stuff on nightmares, I have no idea how it makes it back into the mix every year considering I have never heard of anyone that has finished an entire bottle let alone someone who actually liked the stuff.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up