Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Good corkscrew
Namerifrats 01:14 AM 11-29-2009
Whats a good Corkscrew that some of you guys use? I have an older cheapy POS. Pulled the cork in two on a bottle I opened the other night. I was lucky enough to be able to get the rest out without it dropping down into the bottle. Looking for something not too expensive, and that will damage the cork as little as possible. Thinking of collecting my corks like I do my Cigar Bands.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:17 AM 11-29-2009
If you are intent on collecting corks, stay away from Ah-so or "Butler's Thief" styke cork removers. They scuff up the sides. The syringe style generally work well on newer vintage wines. I'd be shy on a 60's Burgundy with it.

Personally, my favorite cork screw is a quality T Pull. The waiters style work well, but I do not like the step to pull the cork and just use the waiters like a T Pull.

Here's some quality waiters style http://www.laguiole.com/laguiole-cor...e-c-22_23.html
[Reply]
Veritas 08:37 AM 11-29-2009
I'm also not a fan of the standard waiter's friend, but a slight variation makes one much better. A double step variety makes it easier to pull the cork straight out of the top of the bottle. I have one that is about ten years old that has never given me any problems.

Link
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:33 AM 11-29-2009
Originally Posted by Veritas:
I'm also not a fan of the standard waiter's friend, but a slight variation makes one much better. A double step variety makes it easier to pull the cork straight out of the top of the bottle. I have one that is about ten years old that has never given me any problems.

Link
:-) I use the exact same style and find it very easy to use.
[Reply]
Namerifrats 11:42 AM 11-29-2009
Any particular brand, or just one of that design. The cheap one I have looks a little like that. Though the "hook" doesn't stay on the lip of the bottle. May try to find one of these in the next few days. Don't really matter, as long as it works and doesn't destroy the cork.

I read somewhere that alot of wineries are going away from corks to screw tops. Mostly American, Australian, etc. Europe is still supposed to be mostly corks, but slowly changing over. You guys seen any signs of this?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:55 AM 11-29-2009
I would not worry about any of the great wines moving to corkscrews. Plenty of everyday quaffers may end up with caps, but cork is pretty reliable when a quality one is used.

As for brands, the link I posted earlier has a few of the top ones. I prefer a longer worm as it works better for vintage port and flater worm similar to the T-Pull I posted above. I really don't like the one or two stage pull waiters. I use the waiters like a T-Pull unless the cork is really lodged in. Then the inital stage is handy. I find the stages to bend the cork a little and if you want preserve a cork, going straight out is important.

In the end, I have opened $1000 bottles with a $5 waiters corkscrew from the supermarket... Having a highend keepsake corkscrew can be a treasure to use and hand down. It's like using Snap-On tools vs. stamped China tools that were free.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:56 AM 11-29-2009
these are awesome and i've seen em both for less than 20 bux

[Reply]
Up