Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Beers of the World
smokeyandthebandit05 07:03 PM 01-07-2009
Im headin up to Rochester NY tomorrow and there is a store called beers of the world. The pretty much have everything. What iM askin is for some suggestions. Right now I want to pick up a Magic hat sampler, sam adams sampler, Dog Fish Head sampler, and an Adirondack sampler. Is there any thing else I should check out? The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:10 PM 01-07-2009
Seems the people who read Beer Advocate really like it there:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1266/

Ask them if they have any Sam Adams Utopias. :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:22 PM 01-07-2009
I actually just joined Beer Advocates last night and was reading reviews. Im so excited to go up there. I'll probably be dropping 100+ and $100 for my cousin. I love beer, not just like the next college student but I look into it like cigars. The body, flavor, finish, everything. God I love this lol
[Reply]
Mark C 07:22 PM 01-07-2009
Look for Stone and Rogue also, great breweries on the left coast.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:26 PM 01-07-2009
I base my recommendations on what you seem to like, which are all quite mildly flavored.

I'd stay way from DFH ... if you like Yeunglings and Boddingtons and dislike IPAs ... you aren't likely to enjoy DFH beers, which are usually very strongly flavored (one way or another).

Adirondack ... well .. I have not been impressed with any of the beers I've had from those guys. They don't suck, but they have no great character either.

Magic Hat and SA you can get anywhere.

I'd pick up a mixed 6 pak of some German beers if you can find them:

Ayinger Maibock
Köstritzer Schwartzbier
Schneider Aventinus (great wheat beer)
Schlüssel Alt
Ayinger Celebrator or Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock if you're feeling frisky

I find most American brewers do good jobs of brown ales in the American Brown style rather than Northern Brown (Newcastle). You might pick up brown ales from a range of breweries. I haven't had a first class lager from any American brewery except maybe Victory Prima Pils, but that is likely more bitter and hoppy than you'd enjoy. I have enjoyed Otter Creek Pale Ale for a nice PA that isn't a blockbuster but a nice session ale. Their Alpine Ale isn't bad either.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:33 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
Blasphemy! :-)

:-)

Since you're in the general area, check into some Ommegang as well.

And I'd listen to SeanGAR. The man knows his beer. As a matter of fact, he makes his living by it.:-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:35 PM 01-07-2009
I actually just joined Beer Advocates last night and was reading reviews. Im so excited to go up there. I'll probably be dropping 100+ and $100 for my cousin. I love beer, not just like the next college student but I look into it like cigars. The body, flavor, finish, everything. God I love this lol
Wow! I really admire your enthusiasm about beer. It is really an amazing beverage. When you think about all the different kinds of hops, malts, and spices that can make up beer along with all the variations to the brewing process the possibilities are endless. :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:38 PM 01-07-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
I base my recommendations on what you seem to like, which are all quite mildly flavored.

I'd stay way from DFH ... if you like Yeunglings and Boddingtons and dislike IPAs ... you aren't likely to enjoy DFH beers, which are usually very strongly flavored (one way or another).

Adirondack ... well .. I have not been impressed with any of the beers I've had from those guys. They don't suck, but they have no great character either.

Magic Hat and SA you can get anywhere.

I'd pick up a mixed 6 pak of some German beers if you can find them:

Ayinger Maibock
Köstritzer Schwartzbier
Schneider Aventinus (great wheat beer)
Schlüssel Alt
Ayinger Celebrator or Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock if you're feeling frisky

I find most American brewers do good jobs of brown ales in the American Brown style rather than Northern Brown (Newcastle). You might pick up brown ales from a range of breweries. I haven't had a first class lager from any American brewery except maybe Victory Prima Pils, but that is likely more bitter and hoppy than you'd enjoy. I have enjoyed Otter Creek Pale Ale for a nice PA that isn't a blockbuster but a nice session ale. Their Alpine Ale isn't bad either.
I have tried 2 Adirondacks, the adirondack lager (was ok) and saranack lager (dont like too much). I like pretty much everything, the onyl one I hated and couldnt ever finish was Fishermans IPA by DFH I believe. I just want to try everything I can
[Reply]
scoot 01:46 AM 01-09-2009
Try and grab some Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel along with the German beers that Sean mentioned. A few others that I really enjoy are the Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout, and the St. Bernardus Abt. 12.

These are all pretty dark and on the heavier side, but they are really top class if you're willing to give them a go.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:56 AM 01-09-2009
if you want some Dutch lagers that are much better then the overrated Heineken go for Grolsch or Hertog Jan. If you want some thougher stuff, see if they have the Grolsch kanon and the Hertog Jan Grand Prestige. Murphy's Irish Red is a nice Irish beer.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:00 AM 01-09-2009
Im headin up to Rochester NY tomorrow and there is a store called beers of the world. The pretty much have everything. What iM askin is for some suggestions. Right now I want to pick up a Magic hat sampler, sam adams sampler, Dog Fish Head sampler, and an Adirondack sampler. Is there any thing else I should check out? The only american beer I really like is Yuengling and over seas I like smithwics, Becks dark, Boddingtons, Killians, Heineken, pretty much all lagers, ales, anything but IPA's.
Hit the Shop Rite Liquors in Franklin / Hamburg right by the Wal -Mart. THey have every type of brew you could imagine. From specialty brews to seasonal, dutch, german, belgian, microbrews, etc. It is an amazing spread. PM me when you are going or I'll shoot you my number. I am there often.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 09:15 AM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Hit the Shop Rite Liquors in Franklin / Hamburg right by the Wal -Mart. THey have every type of brew you could imagine. From specialty brews to seasonal, dutch, german, belgian, microbrews, etc. It is an amazing spread. PM me when you are going or I'll shoot you my number. I am there often.
Really?!!! I'll have to swing in and check it out
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 09:25 AM 01-10-2009
I'm from buffalo, can you give me an address to this world wonder! I'll be up there in about 2 weeks
[Reply]
AD720 09:45 AM 01-10-2009
The only american beer I really like is Yuengling

If you like Yuengling Lager maybe try some something else from the DGY brewery. I really enjoy the Yuengling Black and Tan and the Lord Chesterfield Ale is pretty good too, the Yunegling Porter is also a favorite porter of mine.

If you have the opurtunity to try anything New Belguim Brewary I would recommend that as well, Fat Tire (of course), 2 Below or anything seasonal is a good bet.

I also find Unibroue to really nice treat. Totally different than any other beers I've ever had.

There are severeal stellar Philadelphia Brews now (philly is undergoing somewhat of a beer renesaaince, I'll see if I can dig up the article.)

- Philadelphia Brewing Company is literally blocks from our house and is some of the best beer I've had bar none. The only brews avaialbe in bottle currently are Kensinger, Walt Wit, Rowhouse Red and the Newblod IPA. I'm really unsure how much distrobution they have right now, it still might be a tri-state (PA,NJ,DE) thing.

http://www.philadelphiabrewing.com/

Yard's is a true Philly microbrew, around since the late 1980's they have moved from Manayunk to Roxborugh and finally settling in Kensington (just a few blocks away from the Phila. Brewing Co - who knew Kensington would become such a beer hotspot?). Absolutly classic offerings, Philadelphia Pale Ale, an India Pale Ale that is stellar, the ESA which is like a richer Yuengling and the Brawler, an English Ale.

http://www.yardsbrewing.com

other notable PA Brews:

Victory, out of Downington (a phila suburb) offers some really interesting beer, Golden Monkey - a spiced ale, Hopdevil IPA and my favorite, the Victory Lager. Pretty wide distrobution.

Slyfox, out of the Philadelphia suburb Pheonixville. I can recommened the Wisse, a wheat beer and the Pikeland Pils. Don't let the cans scare you away, these are real deal craft beers.

http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_packaged

- Troegs, out of Harrisburg has a fair amount of north eastern distrobution and is excellent. Much in vien of Magic Hat they do some really imginiative beers but I feel they do a better job with the more classic stuff than MH.

http://www.troegs.com/contact.htm

Flying Fish, out of Cherry Hill NJ (right over the bridge) might be the most widely distrubted of the "Philly" beers. Lots of selection, all very palatable.

www.flyingfishbrewary.com

Dogfish Head, out of DE is also very widely distrbuted. The 60 and 90 minute IPAs are MUST TRY. The 120 minute separates the men from the boys.

There are definitly other notables, The Applitaion Brewary in Harrisburg, Manayunk Brewpub and Nodding Head on Sansom St. in Phiily are all also excellent but have little to no distrobution.
[Reply]
AD720 09:48 AM 01-10-2009
Oh I forgot -

http://www.lionbrewery.com/history.html

Get a case of Lionshead to see how people who like real beer "slum it" around here. But don't pay more than $13 a case. :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:28 PM 01-12-2009
Picked up some rouge and a few samplers. I'll post up pics tomorrow
[Reply]
Kreth 07:46 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Since you're in the general area, check into some Ommegang as well.
Good call. They're about 30 mins from my house. :-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 07:48 PM 01-15-2009
I wasnt able to pick up much :-). But I got some Rouge, Sam Adams sampler and Magic Hat holiday sampler. Im addicted to rogue, it was amazing!
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:03 PM 01-15-2009
Originally Posted by scoot:
Try and grab some Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel .
You could look for a Chimay sampler , you get a glass and one of each of there 3 beers . HB Oktoberfest was really good this year also . Guinness also has a sampler with 6 each of Harp , Guinness and Smithwicks .
[Reply]
PinkPistol86 07:58 PM 02-19-2009
I would definitely pick up some Chimay. It's a Belgian beer that is completely amazing.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up