Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Scotch
AD720 01:38 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
The Highlands are certainly more robust, and can be a bit peaty too. But the Islays tend towards peatiness. Especially Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroig. Bowmore is less so, but still distinctly peaty, Bruichladdich varies depending on the bottling, but tends to be less peaty than the other Islays.
I guess I should say "savory" over "salty" as what I am tasting could very well be more of the peat (I've had salt by itself but I've never had handful of peat :-)).

The Bowmores (12 year, Legand) have made up most of my Islay experience so that might be coloring my perception of the region as a whole as well.
[Reply]
Tombstone 01:40 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Try Bowmore. 12yr is great. 15yr also good, but a little more expensive.

How much you looking to spend?

There is a 3x200ml bottle sampler out with the 12, 15 and 18.
Looking to spend less than 40$
[Reply]
pnoon 01:44 PM 03-02-2009
If you are new to scotch, I would look for a single malt scotch in the $20-$30 price range. Yes, you can find better ones closer to $40 but I don't think they would be a good introduction into scotch.

Many will argue, but I think The Glenlivet 12 year old is affordable and a good starting point.
[Reply]
AD720 01:46 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If you are new to scotch, I would look for a single malt scotch in the $20-$30 price range. Yes, you can find better ones closer to $40 but I don't think they would be a good introduction into scotch.

Many will argue, but I think The Glenlivet 12 year old is affordable and a good starting point.
I wish I could find The Glenlivet 12 for $20-$30 around me...it is $40 and change. Damn PALCB! :-)

But yes, it is great.
[Reply]
Tombstone 01:49 PM 03-02-2009

Thanks for the advice Pnoon. I will get some tonight.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:12 PM 03-02-2009
For someone who is going to try scotch for the first time, I always try to suggest a blend over a single malt. Blends are usually easier on the palate than single malts, at least IMHO.

I highly recommend Teachers Highland Cream, Chivas Regal 12yo or Johnnie Walker Black for a first scotch! These can all be had in the $25/$30 range, actually, the teacher's may even been closer to $20.

Johnnie Walker Black, is my personal go to scotch, followed by Teacher's Highland Cream, of the 3 listed above, my first pick as a first scotch is Teachers Highland Cream, it's amazingly smooth and complex!
[Reply]
pnoon 02:15 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
For someone who is going to try scotch for the first time, I always try to suggest a blend over a single malt. Blends are usually easier on the palate than single malts, at least IMHO.

I highly recommend Teachers Highland Cream, Chivas Regal 12yo or Johnnie Walker Black for a first scotch! These can all be had in the $25/$30 range, actually, the teacher's may even been closer to $20.

Johnnie Walker Black, is my personal go to scotch, followed by Teacher's Highland Cream, of the 3 listed above, my first pick as a first scotch is Teachers Highland Cream, it's amazingly smooth and complex!
Actually, that is sound advice.
JWB is a good starting point for a blend, IMO.
[Reply]
pnoon 05:47 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
I wish I could find The Glenlivet 12 for $20-$30 around me...it is $40 and change. Damn PALCB! :-)

But yes, it is great.
$23.99
http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=111610!1166
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:00 PM 03-02-2009
I second starting at Chivas or Johnny Walker Black. Both great blends. Once I became legal age my Grandfather introduced me to Chivas to start me off. Still one of my favorites in my limited tastings of blends and single malts.
[Reply]
AD720 06:23 PM 03-02-2009
$23.99
http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=111610!1166

:-)

[FONT=Arial]Do you ship to my state?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Here are the states we can legally ship wine to:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Alaska
Arizona
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] California[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Colorado[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Connecticut[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] District of Columbia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Hawaii[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Idaho[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Illinois
Indiana
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Iowa[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Louisiana
Michigan
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Minnesota[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Missouri
Nebraska
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] New Hampshire[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] New Mexico
New York
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] North Carolina[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] North Dakota[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Ohio[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Oregon[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] South Carolina[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Virginia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] West Virginia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Wisconsin[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Wyoming

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] If you are not in one of the above states, please do not place an internet order for any alcoholic beverage.
[/FONT]
[Reply]
lightning9191 07:08 PM 03-02-2009
When I wanted to start tasting scotch, I went to the liquor store and bought every mini bottle they had of scotch (which was about 4 or 5 of them). I went through those, read some stuff on the scotch thread, and started buying bottles.
[Reply]
Tombstone 06:25 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by lightning9191:
When I wanted to start tasting scotch, I went to the liquor store and bought every mini bottle they had of scotch (which was about 4 or 5 of them). I went through those, read some stuff on the scotch thread, and started buying bottles.
Good idea
[Reply]
macpappy 09:32 AM 03-03-2009
If you can find it, a good introduction to scotch is McClelland's Single Malt. It runs around $21 a bottle and while it's not as good as the more expensive scotch, it will give you a good starting point. The stores in my area carries it in four different versions: Lowland, Islay, Highland and Speyside. Each different version has the characteristics of the region. Speyside, for example, is the less peaty and more "honeyed" flavor while Islay is the strong, smoky, peat flavored.

I would start a bottle of each and decide which one you like the most and then work your way up the price scale until you find what you enjoy the most.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up