Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bordeaux Thread
landhoney 09:13 PM 01-23-2009
Just thought I start a thread on my favorite wines. What do you like? What are you drinking? What have you got 'tucked away'? And probably most important...let's see some good deals!
[Reply]
Nick 09:26 PM 01-23-2009
Best wine I've ever had was a home grown home made wine my buddy makes. It doesn't even have a name sorry.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:07 AM 01-24-2009
I have about 10-12 cases of various 2000 BDX's I bought as Futures. Nothing too big time. Certainly looking forward to opening some of them soon. A couple of cases I have tried a bottle here and there.

2005 is in full swing for a the bargain shoppers. Lots of excellent stuff on the shelf for under $30 that is worth getting by the case.
[Reply]
landhoney 10:21 AM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
2005 is in full swing for a the bargain shoppers. Lots of excellent stuff on the shelf for under $30 that is worth getting by the case.
I agree, some great wines that should be classics and cheap for what you're getting(YMMV).
2005 Duhart-Milon Rothschild (Pauillac) - RP says "it reveals a character not dissimilar from its renowned sibling, Lafite-Rothschild" :-) ~$70
2005 Destieux (St Emilion) ~$40
2005 Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien) ~$60
2005 Clos Du Jaugueyron (Margaux) ~$100 (I bought some of these as futures when they were half this price, not sure they're worth $100 now released, but they are always excellent wines IMO)
2005 Chateau D'Issan (Margaux) ~$70
2005 Pontet Canet (Pauillac) This gets my 'must buy', not cheap at ~$130 but you will be rewarded in 10+ years I am sure.
The Sauternes look good too, they take forever to mature though. :-)

Oh, and pick up some Pavie too :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:22 AM 01-25-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
I agree, some great wines that should be classics and cheap for what you're getting(YMMV).
2005 Duhart-Milon Rothschild (Pauillac) - RP says "it reveals a character not dissimilar from its renowned sibling, Lafite-Rothschild" :-) ~$70
2005 Destieux (St Emilion) ~$40
2005 Chateau Lagrange (St. Julien) ~$60
2005 Clos Du Jaugueyron (Margaux) ~$100 (I bought some of these as futures when they were half this price, not sure they're worth $100 now released, but they are always excellent wines IMO)
2005 Chateau D'Issan (Margaux) ~$70
2005 Pontet Canet (Pauillac) This gets my 'must buy', not cheap at ~$130 but you will be rewarded in 10+ years I am sure.
The Sauternes look good too, they take forever to mature though. :-)

Oh, and pick up some Pavie too :-)
Those prices look pretty high...

I have a couple of cases of D'Issan 2000; not sure if I have tried one yet. Bought them as futures.

Love Pauillac's!

One of the best bets if you want to spend some money is Mission Haut Brion.
[Reply]
landhoney 02:36 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Those prices look pretty high...
Those are per bottle prices, without case discount. If you know a place with cheaper prices pleeeeease post some links. But I haven't done much searching, I guess I'm being lazy. I will search, but please post if you've got the time/inclination.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:26 PM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
Those are per bottle prices, without case discount. If you know a place with cheaper prices pleeeeease post some links. But I haven't done much searching, I guess I'm being lazy. I will search, but please post if you've got the time/inclination.
Just check www.wine-searcher.com as good reference on pricing.

A lot can depend on what state you're in if you go mail order. There's always auction house like Chrisities. Not everything is a expensive as it sounds. www.winestillsoldout.com is a good mailing list to get on.
[Reply]
Up