Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Glug for the holidays - Yummmmmmy
JohnnyFlake 08:03 PM 11-28-2008
If you've never tried Glug, especially around the holidays, you are missing something wonderful! The following is a great receipt, and it makes a nice batch. Note: Glug can be saved by refrigerating for several weeks, and warmed up, by the glass whenever you want some. Give this a try!!!

GLUG

1 qt. port wine
1 qt. burgundy
1 c. white sugar
1 c. raisins
6 blanched almonds
1/2 tbsp. whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
4 cardamom seeds

Tie cloves, cinnamon, cardamom seeds together. In an 8qt. pot, pour 1 quart of water over the tied spices, sugar and raisins. Let simmer until raisins are plump, add the wine. When mixture bubbles around edges, add 1 cup of brandy. Stir until it begins to smoke. More brandy may be added if you want more of a kick to it, but no more than a 2nd cup. Serve with a couple of almonds and raisins in a warm cup. Serves 16 (6 oz. cups).:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 08:24 PM 11-28-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
If you've never tried Glug, especially around the holidays, you are missing something wonderful! The following is a great receipt, and it makes a nice batch. Note: Glug can be saved by refrigerating for several weeks, and warmed up, by the glass whenever you want some. Give this a try!!!

GLUG

1 qt. port wine
1 qt. burgundy
1 c. white sugar
1 c. raisins
6 blanched almonds
1/2 tbsp. whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
4 cardamom seeds

Tie cloves, cinnamon, cardamom seeds together. In an 8qt. pot, pour 1 quart of water over the tied spices, sugar and raisins. Let simmer until raisins are plump, add the wine. When mixture bubbles around edges, add 1 cup of brandy. Stir until it begins to smoke. More brandy may be added if you want more of a kick to it, but no more than a 2nd cup. Serve with a couple of almonds and raisins in a warm cup. Serves 16 (6 oz. cups).:-)
Sounds awesome! Does all the booze cook out or ca I get my father in law wasted on this stuff?
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 09:25 PM 11-28-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Sounds awesome! Does all the booze cook out or ca I get my father in law wasted on this stuff?
You would think it does, but it does not!!! If you boiled the mixture for a hour or so, most of the alcohol would evaporate, but your only heating it up until it starts to steam, right after you put the brandy in. A few servings of Glug will either make your very happy, or get you real S--t faced!
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 01:09 PM 11-29-2008
It's hard for me to believe that no one here has had Glug before!
[Reply]
e36bt 08:58 PM 12-02-2008
I'm now curious. Maybe I'll give this a try for the holidays!
[Reply]
Scottw 09:14 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
It's hard for me to believe that no one here has had Glug before!
One year I sold Christmas Trees for a Church fundraiser and we were stuck outside in aparking lot in the freezing cold. A friend of mine pulledouta mason jar filled with some concoction with dried fruit and raisins in it. I thought he said it was rum and brandy and something else. No idea how he prepared it so I don't know if it was a version of this drink or not but I am trying this one out!!
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 10:25 AM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
One year I sold Christmas Trees for a Church fundraiser and we were stuck outside in aparking lot in the freezing cold. A friend of mine pulledouta mason jar filled with some concoction with dried fruit and raisins in it. I thought he said it was rum and brandy and something else. No idea how he prepared it so I don't know if it was a version of this drink or not but I am trying this one out!!
I have heard of people using Rum and even Bourbon in place of Brandy, however, I have never had it with anything but Brandy. It's very good!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:12 AM 12-03-2008
Glugg is great any time of the year.

I don't recall it having raisans or almonds either. I use to drink it several time a winter.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 01:03 PM 12-03-2008
Sounds like a holiday drink, I'll have to try this out.
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 01:07 PM 12-03-2008
I'm a bigger fan of the Squidbillies version of "Glugg": Pine Cone liquor. :-)
[Reply]
PinkPistol86 08:34 PM 02-19-2009
Yum yum that sounds good. That would be good even without the holiday spirit. Just a cold winter day.
[Reply]
Up