Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Pin-stripe cigars...
N2 GOLD 12:36 PM 03-03-2011
Any recommendations???

I have never tried them before but, I see them more & more.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Also, who you recommend for internet ordering them...
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:44 PM 03-03-2011
I have always wanted to try one but only thing close I can find local is the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Tabaqueros.
[Reply]
kickerb 12:49 PM 03-03-2011
what is a pin-striped cigar?
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:51 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
I have always wanted to try one but only thing close I can find local is the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos De Tabaqueros.
How were those??? Similar, with two wraps...
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:56 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
A cigar that employs two wrappers in one cigar. Similar, to the CAO America
[Reply]
awsmith4 12:58 PM 03-03-2011
The are more often referred to as barber pole cigars. A cigar with two wrappers

Taboo Cigars has one called the Twist that was a good smoke. Its only available through his store I believe.

As far as where to get them online, the various LGCs are available at shops like Cigars International and Famous. I believe Joya De Nicaragua makes one as well.
[Reply]
kickerb 12:59 PM 03-03-2011
Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining that. :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 01:00 PM 03-03-2011
also the 2008 liberty(camacho) was a barber pole cigar
[Reply]
neoflex 01:02 PM 03-03-2011
One of my favorite Barber Poles is the Taboo Twist. I just wish they had more of a house brand price tag but they are good especially with some age
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 01:02 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by awsmith4:

Taboo Cigars has one called the Twist that was a good smoke. Its only available through his store I believe.

As far as where to get them online, the various LGCs are available at shops like Cigars International and Famous. I believe Joya De Nicaragua makes one as well.
Thank you, for the BArber Pole info... :-)
[Reply]
lyle23 01:03 PM 03-03-2011
Personally, I love the 2008 liberty. If you can find them, they are a great stick. Not all the liberties are barber poles though.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Devanmc 01:04 PM 03-03-2011
kevin, the shop in huntsvill has a few left(maybe). do you want their number?
[Reply]
waffle 01:12 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:
How were those??? Similar, with two wraps...
Really good, its basically two different cigars. It starts mellow and smooth and then it gets full body.
[Reply]
wayner123 01:27 PM 03-03-2011
Padilla Burberry is another decent one.
[Reply]
guitar4001 01:48 PM 03-03-2011
They are usually made by rolling a light-colored wrapper onto a bunch, the adding a strip of darker-colored tobacco on top of the first wrapper to give it the appearance of a candy cane. Actually it is rather simple to create this type of cigar (as a roller), but it just takes an extra step. They sure do look neat-o.
[Reply]
T.G 02:01 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:
A cigar that employs two wrappers in one cigar. Similar, to the CAO America
Originally Posted by awsmith4:

A bit of clarification is needed here as multiple styles are getting incorrectly mixed up in the given explanations...

Barber poles are the ones with with generally equal size helical stripes of capa wrapped around the cigar. Like this:
off the top of my head some barber pole cigars:
Taboo Twist
Felipe Gregorio Dos Capas
Felipe Gregorio Tres Capas
ITC Split Decision
Some Camacho Liberties
CAO Britalia Barber Pole
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Between the Lines
etc...

Pinstriped cigars are an offshoot of barberpoles, except that rather than roughly equal sized bands, one is just a pinstripe. IIRC CAO America was the first to do this exclusively (and still the only one I believe).

Barberpole and pinstripes are rolled that way, two or more wrappers are cut and overlapped, then rolled around the cigar to create the effect.

Then you have cigars that employ both such as the Sol Cubano Artisan L.E.:

(continues next post due to image limits)
[Reply]
T.G 02:02 PM 03-03-2011
Multi-wrapper, dual wrapper, split-wrapper (which can be somewhat of a misnomer - but it stuck), are the terms to typically describe cigars with "bands" of wrappers:
Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta
La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Tabaqueros
Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche
(note the three sections - dark, light, dark)

In this case, a capa (wrapper) is applied to the cigar in a regular fashion, then a smaller, second section of another capa is applied over the top to create the effect.

Then you have manufacturers who combine both and just don't seem to know when the F to stop gluing pieces down...
[Reply]
T.G 02:07 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by guitar4001:
They are usually made by rolling a light-colored wrapper onto a bunch, the adding a strip of darker-colored tobacco on top of the first wrapper to give it the appearance of a candy cane. Actually it is rather simple to create this type of cigar (as a roller), but it just takes an extra step. They sure do look neat-o.
Nope.

The two capas are cut so that they overlap on the rolling bench and applied together in the same motion.

Here is a video of the capas being applied to a CAO America. A barber pole cigar would be an identical process, just a wider overlap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JISX_CdPKg
[Reply]
T.G 02:10 PM 03-03-2011
Oh, and while we are on the subject of barber poles, there is no such thing as a Cuban barberpole cigar. If you ever see one of the infamous Cohiba 35th or 40th barber poles, run away, they are FAKE FAKE FAKE.
Attached: cohiba40th_barberpoles.jpg (74.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Blueface 02:14 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Oh, and while we are on the subject of barber poles, there is no such thing as a Cuban barberpole cigar. If you ever see one of the infamous Cohiba 35th or 40th barber poles, run away, they are FAKE FAKE FAKE.
Are you serious?
OMG!!!
I have a full box of these that I have been aging.:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up