Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>A. Fuente Agitation
Nathan King 11:15 AM 03-03-2011
Answer me this. Why, after so many years of production, can a person not find an entire box of OpusX for sale without nearly selling a kidney? There are many cigar manufacturers several magnitudes smaller than Arturo Fuente that manage to provide the market ample supply of their "special" cigars.

:-) :-)
[Reply]
swh127 11:38 AM 03-03-2011
Arturo Fuente has always kept their production of their "special" cigars low. It is either:

A: they don't have enough of the tobacco required for these cigars
or
B: marketing ploy to drive up hype and price of these cigars.

Guess which one is most likely.

Give me an Anejo over an opus any day (granted I have never tried a 2 year old aged opus - have 2 that are about 1 - 1.5, still waiting on those)
[Reply]
wayner123 11:40 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Nathan King:
Answer me this. Why, after so many years of production, can a person not find an entire box of OpusX for sale without nearly selling a kidney? There are many cigar manufacturers several magnitudes smaller than Arturo Fuente that manage to provide the market ample supply of their "special" cigars.

:-) :-)
My first thought is that you are not looking in the right places. But it's supply and demand mostly.
[Reply]
ajacobs 11:42 AM 03-03-2011
I used to smoke a lot of opus I had a regular supplier that always had it in stock at msrp. Now I live in a state that doesn't have as single opus dealer. It pains me greatly. But I think the issue is that there is limited raw materials. It isn't like most other stuff where they can just make more. And while it seems that other makers have plenty of a supply of their more limited cigars it is probably because they are in much less demand.
[Reply]
OLS 12:16 PM 03-03-2011
One thing for sure, don't get too deep in the hype and believe you HAVE to have a box. FAR too many cigars
out there now for that kind of thinking. I started back into cigars about the time these originated, and I am
embarassed by my actions back then. Fresh they are not worth smoking, aged, who knows...someone does, lol.
But grab you a few to age and move on. My dos centavos.
[Reply]
Ogre 12:16 PM 03-03-2011
Go to Fuentes website. Tampasweethearsts.com. Get on their mailing list. They announce some releases and you can purchase some cigars directly from them.
[Reply]
Nathan King 07:53 PM 03-03-2011
I would like to thank everybody for their responses and suggestions. I realize that OpusX are not "the best" out there; however, I enjoy them and would like a box to age. I will get on the Tampa Sweethearts mailing list as soon as possible.
[Reply]
T.G 08:01 PM 03-03-2011
I might be mistaken here since it's been awhile, but I don't think Tampa Sweethearts will sell an entire box of any HTF/seasonal Fuentes at once, IIRC, they limit the number of cigars you can buy per day, even over the phone.
[Reply]
Bill86 08:06 PM 03-03-2011
I agree on liking Anejos a lot more than Opus X. Pm Inbound regarding a place to find these sticks.
[Reply]
ajacobs 08:54 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I might be mistaken here since it's been awhile, but I don't think Tampa Sweethearts will sell an entire box of any HTF/seasonal Fuentes at once, IIRC, they limit the number of cigars you can buy per day, even over the phone.
Everytime I call there is a limit. I still have some boxes of opus I am aging from before I moved by now I am hording them because I can't easily replace them. Takes the fun out of it.
[Reply]
T.G 09:08 PM 03-03-2011
Thanks. That's how I thought I remembered it, but I wasn't 100% sure.
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:21 PM 03-03-2011
I know a good number of guys with two kidneys that have boxes of Opus so they must be available somewhere.
[Reply]
Dunkel 01:53 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Nathan King:
I would like to thank everybody for their responses and suggestions.
Very cool of you to take the time to thank those that helped you. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:38 AM 03-04-2011
The easiest way to get a whole box is to befriend the folks at the local b&m who are official retailers of Opus.

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:59 AM 03-04-2011
I just saw a bunch of Opus at Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. I didn't specifically look for unopened boxes, but there were plenty there to make a box, all at prices far less than the kidney prices you'll pay online.
I have three collectors tins, one of each size, that I'll send you at what I paid for them, if you like. The prices are all far below what you see them selling for online. Just drop me a pm if you think you might be interested, I can send you the prices. You'll be pleased, I'm sure. :-)

On the "why?" part...
A limited volume protects quality, market value, and demand. They don't need to make anymore. Why they started the Anejo 60 with Anejos flooding shelves, I don't understand. Maybe they decided to flood the market with that brand and see what happens?
If you're really on the ball, or at the right place at the right time, you'll find them at msrp. I don't smoke them, but I see them all over at very fair prices, especially for the most hallowed of the nc's.
[Reply]
OLS 06:52 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
The easiest way to get a whole box is to befriend the folks at the local b&m who are official retailers of Opus.

:-)
This is very true. I had a friendconist in Tallahassee who used to feel sorry for me for
driving in from Dothan, AL every weekend to pick up my two Opus cigars. I bought other stuff,
but it was a ritual. I think it was 3 hours or a little more. One day he said come by a little early
when it's just the old ladies walking around the mall and I will throw up the roll-up door and we
can do some shopping before the store opens. He hands me a box of Opus Double Coronas and
says, "you want em?" I said hell yeah, and I got those and about a dozen other boxes he was
gonna close out, 35-40 a box. Walked out with a ton of smokes that day and a few Saturdays after
that. He and I got along great, lol. Your tobacconist has to get the idea that you are a happy and
loyal customer and have a decent amount of discretion. Tougher than ever in the internet age.
[Reply]
wayner123 06:55 AM 03-04-2011
Which mall in Tallahassee was this? I used to go to a B&M all the time in Governer's Square.
[Reply]
OLS 07:26 AM 03-04-2011
That was it, Smoke and Snuff. The guy is certainly not there any longer, this was, as I said, probably 15 years ago.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:32 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
That was it, Smoke and Snuff. The guy is certainly not there any longer, this was, as I said, probably 15 years ago.
Yeah I was going there back in 96-99. Granted in 96 I was too young to buying cigars, I liked the smell of the shop as it seemed he always had pipe smoke going.
[Reply]
shilala 07:42 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Yeah I was going there back in 96-99. Granted in 96 I was too young to buying cigars, I liked the smell of the shop as it seemed he always had pipe smoke going.
Nothing to add except "I thought you were older than me."
You're just a baby, Wayne!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up