Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Re-Upped my Cigar Oasis (picture intensive)
thebiglebowski 12:00 PM 12-16-2008
yep. you should use gin.
[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 01:13 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
i got the heartfelt 65% amd they jsut didn't do the trick.... that's why im here
the beads wouldn't do it fer me either.

i have two desktops and two small fridgadors. i use florist foam in all of them. distilled water and a few drops of PG solution every other fill and they all stay around 62% to 66%.

i do have to check on them every once in a while to make sure i am not dropping too low.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 04:56 PM 12-16-2008
can anyone confirm if Gin would work well as the "Grain alcohol" needed to sterilize the gel?
70% alcohol has better antimicrobial activity than higher or lower % ethanol so 151 would be best. Having said that, 40% should do OK.
[Reply]
DonnieW 05:08 PM 12-16-2008
I like the penny idea. While I've never tested it to see how well it kills mold, it is certainly goof-proof.
[Reply]
Screwbag 05:15 PM 12-16-2008
Nice mod! I'll hafta do that!
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:23 AM 12-17-2008
Originally Posted by DonnieW:
I like the penny idea. While I've never tested it to see how well it kills mold, it is certainly goof-proof.
are penneis 100% copper?
[Reply]
Cigarcop 08:08 AM 12-17-2008
1793-1857 : pure copper
1857-1864 : 88% copper, 12% nickel
1864-1942 and 1944-mid 1982 : 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc
1943 : steel plated with zinc
mid 1982-present : zinc plated with copper
[Reply]
neoflex 05:30 PM 01-04-2009
Where are you guys finding the gel?(cracked ice etc) I have looked in two crafts stores, Walmart and Target and can not locate anything of the sort. When I ask the people working in the store I usually get that crossed eyed look to boot. Anyone know of a particular chain store that I can find them?
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:23 PM 01-04-2009
michaels crafts... where i got them...

Supposedly joann has them as well..
[Reply]
Lee 09:55 PM 01-04-2009
If you put any significant amount of copper in water with oxygen present the copper will oxidize and you are going to be left with a green mess. Bicardi 151 is 75% alcohol and will sterilize most anything. Everclear is 95% and would be the better choice. Most gins are 40% alcohol and have quite a few added spices to flavor the gin. I would be concerned about whether the gin would change the taste of your cigars. All that being said if you use distilled water and check your humidifying system regularly you should not get mold. Just my :-).
[Reply]
tchariya 10:04 PM 01-04-2009
can i get that sutff at lowes? straight copper?
You can strip down pretty much any single thread heavy gauge (lower #) wiring used for electronics such as phone or ethernet or even grounding electrical panels.
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:50 PM 01-04-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:
You can strip down pretty much any single thread heavy gauge (lower #) wiring used for electronics such as phone or ethernet or even grounding electrical panels.

If you are going to use any type of electrical wire 10 to 14 gauge be sure to hit it with some steel wool or fine grit emery paper. Wire these day has a very thin plasticoat on it to help reduce oxidation.

[Reply]
Jay Hemingway 09:57 AM 01-05-2009
Originally Posted by Silound:
Rofl.

Down here catalytic converters are being stolen left and right. There's about $300 worth of copper in them, so they're disappearing off of trucks and SUV's pretty regularly.

it is actually "platinum" that is in cat converters. that is what these things are being stolen left and right for. not copper.
:-)
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 01:37 PM 01-05-2009
Heh, the cat would weigh about 300lbs at the current price of scrap copper. There's also Palladium and Rhodium in there too.

Oh yeah, don't use any of the older pennies for 'demolding'. They're most likely worth more than a penny.
[Reply]
neoflex 05:15 PM 01-05-2009
michaels crafts... where i got them...

Supposedly joann has them as well..
Thanks! I will have to try and swing by one this weekend!:-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 01:34 AM 01-10-2009
Just bought a hydra tonight and I'm going to do this tomorrow I think. I filled the hydra up tonight, and after two hours of it running in my cabinet, the stupid buzzer started going off. I don't know what the hell the deal is....Not to mention that my humidity hasn't changed much at ALL in those two hours. this cabinet is turning into a pain in the ass.
[Reply]
DonWeb 07:02 AM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
I forgot to mention that I toss some copper wire into the mess of hydrated crystals ... copper has antimicrobial activity.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/...s/microbes.php
It's a cool thing you're doing - not that I would expect anything different.

The copper doesn't impart any metallic tang?
[Reply]
MikeyC 09:21 AM 01-10-2009
Hmmm . . . I don't really have anything to do today. I might take a ride over to Michael's and do this to my Hydra.
[Reply]
neoflex 10:02 AM 01-11-2009
I was able to get a hold of the Water Jewels and did this to my Oasis. Could not be happier. Those things get huge. I put 1/2 to 3/4 a table spoon in a Solo cup and filled full with distilled water and in the morning the thing was full. Pretty interesting. I was able to stuff almost all of them in my XL IIs cartridge and she is running fine. Next time I refill I will probably mix some PG solution with the distilled water to keep things headed in the right direction.
Thanks for the tips on the mod!
[Reply]
BamBam 05:53 PM 04-01-2009
I'm afraid that my hydra's floral foam may be starting to get mold. I think that these "water jewels" will work great.

Does anyone know where I can buy these "water jewels" online?

I have a Michael's like 5-10 minutes from me but I can't drive b/c of my recent surgery. I haven't been able to find them online anywhere.

Is there anything else you can buy online that are comparable to these "water jewels"?

Thanks
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up