Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Add me to the Coolidor Club
IndyRob 11:13 AM 03-05-2012
So my desktop humidor is in dire need of re-seasoning... and it can't hold boxes, and I just picked up two boxes of smokes. I needed to do something and as a interim solution I dumped everything into a Rubbermaid food container that has about 60-70 cigars (pathetic, I know) in it, gel packs and a small digital hydrometer. Sitting at 55% RH now, probably need to add a few more gel packs....

Because of my storage issues, I went out at lunch and bought a 48qt cooler. Looking at the darned thing... It's way bigger than I actually realized. I definitely don't have enough beads for it (I'm gonna have to order some later today I think), and I want an external hydrometer so I don't have to open it to see what's going on.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:21 AM 03-05-2012
I don't think tupperware is pathetic at all and I think you'll find that the cooler will fill up faster than you think. The best cooler advice I got was to fill it up with empty boxes to help maintain humidity. Have fun with it brother.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:23 AM 03-05-2012
By the way, I've never heard of an external hygrometer. What do you have in mind for this? I think you probably don't need it with beads. It's good to open it once in a while to get some circulation and fresh air.
[Reply]
tengel78 11:50 AM 03-05-2012
If you're like me, your 48qt will be full in a couple weeks!
[Reply]
IndyRob 12:02 PM 03-05-2012
haha, the pathetic comment was in regards to how many cigars I own. I was hoping there was a hygrometer with a probe or something, but the more I think about it... Opening her up once in awhile to get a head count probably isn't a bad idea. :-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:14 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by IndyRob:
haha, the pathetic comment was in regards to how many cigars I own. I was hoping there was a hygrometer with a probe or something, but the more I think about it... Opening her up once in awhile to get a head count probably isn't a bad idea. :-)
Ah okay. 70 cigars with a few boxes on the way seems like a good start! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:38 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by IndyRob:
It's definately a good idea to root around in there every once in awhile to make sure everything is okay. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 12:39 PM 03-05-2012
Congrats Rob......Um, I may be going the cooler route as well, the TRUNKADOR is filled now....time to start getting the cooler ready. I have the "Cube" one.
[Reply]
chaase321 01:01 PM 03-05-2012
my first 48qt is already full :-) My second is on the way :-)

You will be filling that thing in no time Rob! I love the cooler and couldn't imagine spending $35-$40 any other way if it isn't on cigars :-)

Also, if you think you are losing humidity...I bought weather stripping from Lowes and put that around the the lip and the lid and it holds really well with a weight on top. Of course, I open it about 4 -5 times a week :-)
[Reply]
Bad Finger 01:02 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
By the way, I've never heard of an external hygrometer. What do you have in mind for this? I think you probably don't need it with beads. It's good to open it once in a while to get some circulation and fresh air.
It is nice to see the humidity without having to open up the cooler, letting out more humidity. Not completely necessary, but nice to have the option.
[Reply]
Boz 03:14 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by tengel78:
If you're like me, your 48qt will be full in a couple weeks!

Yup :-) Thats what happened to me.
[Reply]
dwoodward 03:19 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
It's definately a good idea to root around in there every once in awhile to make sure everything is okay. :-)
+1... nothing can ruin your stash like a bunch of creepy crawlies.
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:36 PM 03-05-2012
Oregon Scientific (among others) sells wireless hygrometers that are pretty good. The price is not bad -- they can be had for anywhere from $20-$40. The catch is that you need their base station (weather station) to receive the wireless signal. I had a weather station and it has 10 "slots" for devices (outdoor thermometer, wind speed, rain gauge, etc.) so I added some additional hygrometers for my humidors. They cannot be calibrated but after salt testing them they are pretty close.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend on all this. BTW, I still go into the humidors about the same number of times...
[Reply]
trendo 10:37 PM 03-07-2012
I got a weather station from lowes for under 20. It has a remote sensor to measure temp and humidity. It is five percent off on the humidity, but it's easy to subtract from what you see.
[Reply]
IndyRob 10:05 AM 03-08-2012
So here it is, have an 8oz bag of beads on the way. I just need to figure out where to put that, so that I can get to it pretty easily.

[Reply]
jledou 10:15 AM 03-08-2012
Looks good Rob ... but I see empty space :-)
[Reply]
IndyRob 10:44 AM 03-08-2012
In the words of the great Bernie Mac.... I aint scared of you m*****f*****s! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbvNbfDvNHI

kick it!

p.s. c'mon now, I just got that darned thing!
[Reply]
Taki 12:17 PM 03-08-2012
Add me please...I had to grab one the other day!!! 52qt :-)
[Reply]
Remo 12:19 PM 03-08-2012
No going back after the cooler :-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 12:32 PM 03-08-2012
When I ran coolers, I used bubble wrap to take up the empty space. No reason to humidify space you aren't using. Worked great, easy to recommend.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up