Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I am disappoint
Pseudosacred 10:21 PM 02-15-2012
Well, I've been really happy about my humi lately. It's been 3/4 full (with only 15 cigars :-)) and on a constant 64-65% humidity and around 70 degrees. I took one out tonight to burn, after a long stressful day of work. It was my 4th, and last, CG4 (I can't get enough of these things...) After about 10 puffs, it just went out. I was not only pissed, but curious. I cut and re-lit it and it happened again. I repeated and watched the burn. It started going out from the middle and then went out to the edges.

The only reason I can think this would happen, is that my Hygro is wrong and my cigars are being over humidified.

So, I've decided I'm going to salt test the hygro.

What can be done about the humi itself? Will I have to do something special to take the humidity down? If that is the case, of course
[Reply]
pnoon 10:35 PM 02-15-2012
Sorry about the bad experience. But I wouldn't even begin to suspect the humidor/humidity unless you had a similar experience with other sticks. Before doing anything drastic to your storage, have a few more cigars from the humidor. If they burn in a similar fashion then it might be the humidity. Otherwise, you just had a bad stick. They are hand made products. It happens.
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:37 PM 02-15-2012
How long have the cigars been in the humidor?

If the cigars were too moist before you got them, it can take some time for them to shed excess humidity.

---
Just looked up the weather for Berks, PA; 85% RH. That could have played a part too.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:39 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
How long have the cigars been in the humidor?

If the cigars were too moist before you got them, it can take some time for them to shed excess humidity.
Good point, Adam. If they were bought at a B & M or purchased online, over humidification is common. However, it still would be an isolated incident. Not storage related.
[Reply]
T.G 10:53 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Good point, Adam. If they were bought at a B & M or purchased online, over humidification is common. However, it still would be an isolated incident. Not storage related.
Agreed on all counts, Peter.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 10:53 PM 02-15-2012
Well, I bought them at Cigars International. It would baffle me if they were over humidified there. It was the first stick I smoked out of the humi. It might just be that one cigar. I'll do what you suggested Pnoon. I'll smoke another one out of there.

But, if it does end up being the humidor being to humid (ironic...I guess) what do I have to do? just keep the lid open for a little?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:01 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
Well, I bought them at Cigars International. It would baffle me if they were over humidified there. It was the first stick I smoked out of the humi. It might just be that one cigar. I'll do what you suggested Pnoon. I'll smoke another one out of there.

But, if it does end up being the humidor being to humid (ironic...I guess) what do I have to do? just keep the lid open for a little?
Why would it be baffling?

CI and other online vendors deliberately ship cigars overhumidified so you don't receive them dried out. How long was it in your humidor before you smoked it?
Given they were from CI, I'd be willing to bet it was the cigar and not your humidor.
if it does turn out to be a humidity issue, put some dry beads in your humi to absorb the excess moisture.
[Reply]
T.G 11:09 PM 02-15-2012
Every shipment I've ever recieved from CI came in overhumidified. They keep their warehouse at 70%, or so they claim, but this doesn't take into account how some manufacturers pump up the moisture in the cigars before they ship from the factories, and CI has a high sales turnover, so the cigars don't get much of a chance to give off that extra moisture.

All the big catalog vendors are basically like that. CI, Famous, JR, Holts...
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:13 PM 02-15-2012
I bought them in the store, though. I've lit a lot of cigars from their store right away, even 3 or 4 days after buying them. They smoked perfectly fine, no ousting.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:18 PM 02-15-2012
I bought them in the store, though. I've lit a lot of cigars from their store right away, even 3 or 4 days after buying them. They smoked perfectly fine, no ousting.
Then it sounds like you got a bad stick. It happens.

btw - what is "ousting"?
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:24 PM 02-15-2012
Ousting is going out, being expelled. A fancy verb :-)

Well, let's hope it was just a bad stick! When I smoke my next one, I'll post the results.

Thanks for all of your quick responses/ideas, brothers. Much thanks :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:28 PM 02-15-2012
I guess I should have been more clear. I know what the word means. I had never heard it used in relation to a cigar. I think you just misused it. The word means "to drive out or expel from a position or place".

No matter. Let us know how your next few sticks burn.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:35 PM 02-15-2012
Maybe I did :-) It felt right, you know? Sometimes you just use the wrong word, but it feels right :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:37 PM 02-15-2012
Maybe I did :-) It felt right, you know? Sometimes you just use the wrong word, but it feels right :-)
Been there. Done that.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:40 PM 02-15-2012
Also, completely random, I see you're hailing from San Diego, home of my favorite football team.

Philip Rivers, in the last few games of every season, is one of the best quarterbacks ever.

Again, completely random :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:54 PM 02-15-2012
Also, completely random, I see you're hailing from San Diego, home of my favorite football team.

Philip Rivers, in the last few games of every season, is one of the best quarterbacks ever.

Again, completely random :-)
Don't get me started.
You obviously didn't see the game in week 16 against the Lions when they had to win to stay in the playoff hunt. They were blown out 38-10.
I'm a Chargers fan. Not a Rivers fan.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:58 PM 02-15-2012
No Peter we can't have that! Let's get you started!
[Reply]
pnoon 11:59 PM 02-15-2012
Soon enough.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52615
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 07:49 AM 02-16-2012
When I smoke my next one, I'll post the results.

[Reply]
us_soldier1989 08:14 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:

Nice avatar! I watched that movie a few months ago. I'd fight him. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up