Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Seasoning a humidor with boveda packs.
oooo35980 12:42 PM 02-14-2012
So I definitely am no expert, but if I happen to have a ton of brand new Boveda 69% packs, say 8 or so sitting around, and I throw those into a new 75ct humidor, place some cigars in it, and watch the humidity closely with it staying at around 67% am I not seasoning the humidor as well as storing my cigars? Sort of a Ronco "set it and forget it" type method? Am I doing my humidor or cigars any harm this way?
[Reply]
bobarian 12:47 PM 02-14-2012
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

There is NO shortcut to proper seasoning. This may take one to two weeks, the humidor should hold a steady Rh for 24 hours without any humidification or cigars before using. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:05 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:

There is NO shortcut to proper seasoning. This may take one to two weeks, the humidor should hold a steady Rh for 24 hours without any humidification or cigars before using. :-)
+1
[Reply]
oooo35980 01:14 PM 02-14-2012
I understand that is the preferred method, but my question is why. If the Boveda packs keep the humidity stable, as well as seasoning the humidor. Then why wouldn't they make it safe to store your cigars immediately, keeping a close eye on the hygrometer obviously.

I'm not trying to argue or break convention or anything, but I'd like to hear some ideas of possible problems with this method. I can think of several logical reasons it could cause problems, for example certain spots in the humidor being higher RH than others, packs drying out if you don't keep an eye on them, etc. Just wondering if there is a reason not to try it other than "you should do it this way"
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:19 PM 02-14-2012
You typically season your humidor through saturation, which causes the moisture to soak deeply into the wood. The wood expands slightly and seams will tighten up a bit.

If you don't season your humidor I don't think your sticks will keep very well. Over time the RH is going to change much more radically than if you had properly seasoned your humidor.

It's not a matter of it being "bad", it more of a case that it is not as "good" -- if you see the difference...
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:20 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I understand that is the preferred method, but my question is why. If the Boveda packs keep the humidity stable, as well as seasoning the humidor. Then why wouldn't they make it safe to store your cigars immediately, keeping a close eye on the hygrometer obviously.

I'm not trying to argue or break convention or anything, but I'd like to hear some ideas of possible problems with this method. I can think of several logical reasons it could cause problems, for example certain spots in the humidor being higher RH than others, packs drying out if you don't keep an eye on them, etc. Just wondering if there is a reason not to try it other than "you should do it this way"
The wood in your humidor will not be seasoned as soon as you put the Boveda's in there. Will there be humidity in the box, yes, is the wood humid, no. The wood will want to draw moisture from anywhere it can, the Boveda packs AND your cigars, so in essence, your cigars will end up seasoning the humidor too, thusly, loosing their moisture.

In addition, a gallon of distilled water is about $2, Boveda packs $4 for a total of $32 in Boveda's to season your humidor.

Your call on how you proceed.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:22 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
You typically season your humidor through saturation,
I can't endorse this method. In seasoning humidors, the slow and steady pace always wins the race.
[Reply]
oooo35980 01:29 PM 02-14-2012
So the cedar could end up drying out my cigars as it saturates, and not just the Boveda packs, it makes sense. I have some god awful cigars I got from the nex I think I'll throw them in and see if they dry out, thx guys.
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:54 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
I can't endorse this method. In seasoning humidors, the slow and steady pace always wins the race.
So you are saying that seasoning is wrong and that you should just start using your new humnidor?

The saturation I am talking about is seasoning. When you place a source of water (sponge, dish) in an empty humidor you are by definition saturating the wood.
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:01 PM 02-14-2012
By saturation, I read that as wiping down the cedar with water. If I read that wrong, I apologize.
[Reply]
jluck 02:16 PM 02-14-2012
So the cedar could end up drying out my cigars as it saturates, and not just the Boveda packs, it makes sense. I have some god awful cigars I got from the nex I think I'll throw them in and see if they dry out, thx guys.
Why not just trash the cigars and season it correctly? Why start a thread asking for information, getting needed info and sage advice then come back with..." I'll just do it my way anyway".
When you do get some quality cigars are the going in this unseasoned humidor?
[Reply]
h20wakebum 03:19 PM 02-14-2012

I too am currently in the process of seasoning my new savoy 50 ct. humidor. I'm at the point where seasoning is in the high 80's low 90's. Im going to let it sit one more day, after which, I will take out the water AND my humidification device. If the humidity stays stable for 48 hours (I'd check it once every 24) I should be good to go adding my humidification device AND throwing my sticks in, correct?

Thanks for the feedback.

-RR
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:04 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Why not just trash the cigars and season it correctly? Why start a thread asking for information, getting needed info and sage advice then come back with..." I'll just do it my way anyway".
When you do get some quality cigars are the going in this unseasoned humidor?
I have a good many quality cigars, they aren't going in until I'm satisfied it is safe to put them in there. But I also like to experiment, so I'll be checking to see if Boveda packs can regulate RH while at the same time seasoning the humidor. Is the bowl of water necessary for 2 weeks, or can you wipe down the inside of the humi a few times and be OK? Will the Boveda packs do both? I don't know and haven't heard any convincing data either way. I'm not asking for sage advice on how to season a humidor, I am asking if anyone has a good reason this will not work.

Here is the idea.

1. Boveda packs have moisture, which will add humidity to the inside of the humidor, the cedar will absorb said moisture until it can no longer do so, resulting in "saturation" ie "seasoning". Over time.

2. Boveda packs regulate RH to a specific number, meaning the inside of the humidor will stay at that Rh, making it safe to store cigars inside the humidor while the wood "seasons". It will be necessary to keep a close eye on RH because it is possible the Bovedas will run out of moisture before the wood reaches saturation

I'm not calling into question the traditional seasoning method, I am just curious if, given the advent of fancy RH packs, beads, etc, is taking the wood to complete saturation before putting anything in the humidor really necessary? In a couple weeks I'll take out the Bovedas and see if the humidor retains a stable RH, if it does and my crappy cigars aren't dried out, then I will have my answer.
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:10 PM 02-14-2012
...is taking the wood to complete saturation before putting anything in the humidor really necessary? ...
That is what seasoning is. Otherwise you are just using the humidor as a box and you would be better off with a Tupperware container.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:18 PM 02-14-2012
http://www.bovedadirect.com/products....cfm?ITEM_ID=5

Brilliant, just brilliant. :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:26 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
That is what seasoning is. Otherwise you are just using the humidor as a box and you would be better off with a Tupperware container.
It will be like a box until the cedar absorbs all the moisture it can from the bovedas, then it should behave like any normal humidor. If my thinking is correct it should behave like any other humidor that was seasoned without cigars in it. Only it was seasoned with cigars in it. Question is, will it hurt the cigars, I'm just asking if there are any huge problems in my logic, or anything I overlooked.
[Reply]
jluck 04:32 PM 02-14-2012
It will be like a box until the cedar absorbs all the moisture it can from the bovedas, then it should behave like any normal humidor. If my thinking is correct it should behave like any other humidor that was seasoned without cigars in it. Only it was seasoned with cigars in it. Question is, will it hurt the cigars, I'm just asking if there are any huge problems in my logic, or anything I overlooked.
I believe you cigars will absorb moisture first and act as a tobacco flavored sponge. Do it I'm curious.
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:38 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I believe you cigars will absorb moisture first and act as a tobacco flavored sponge. Do it I'm curious.
You might be right, but the Bovedas should keep humidity below 69% so properly humidified cigars won't absorb an inordinate amount of moisture, since the wood is drier it will absorb all of it, to about 69%. Then the Bovedas should keep the RH stable, my main concern is whether 69% packs will season the wood sufficiently.

We shall see.
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:35 PM 02-14-2012
http://www.bovedadirect.com/products....cfm?ITEM_ID=5

Brilliant, just brilliant. :-)
Agreed that these are a good thing -- but the OP wants to use the 69% packs with his cigars...

All I can say is good luck... You're going to need it...
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 05:56 PM 02-14-2012
There's no point in trying to re-invent the wheel, the sticky already posted in this thread has been used countless times with flawless results. There's not really any point in figuring out another way to not properly season a humidor. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up