Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Mini Fans for my fridgador
JenksAnejo 11:21 AM 02-27-2012
Hey guys,

I'm turning the bottom part of my dorm fridge into an aging cabinet for some of my premium sticks.

I've been told I need to circulate the air if I'm not going to open it much. (I was also told for aging sticks I need to keep it closed at all times, unless of course pulling a stick out)

With that being said are the fans a necessity? If so does anyone have a good option for a very small fan that would fit in my fridge?

I looked over this thread already; however, I'm not sure if I could fit the power cord out of my fridge with out affecting the seal.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27703

Any suggestions for small battery operated oscilating fans?
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 12:16 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo:
I looked over this thread already; however, I'm not sure if I could fit the power cord out of my fridge with out affecting the seal.
1 - Drill a small hole through the side of the fridge (after making sure there aren't any coils / wires / etc. in the way.
2 - Pass the wire through the hole.
3 - Seal it up with calk, silicone (aquarium safe, please - no out gassing).
4 - Profit......:-)

My Staebell cabinet has fans, but they only run when the humidifier cans (or pelt coolers) kick on, which isn't very often. For a winefridge / cooler setup, I'd just open the door once a week and call it good.....:-)
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 12:19 PM 02-27-2012
Up to you I guess. I have a 21 cu-sq-ft frezzerdor that has about 3lb of beads from top to bottom in it. It fluctuates 2-3 % from top to bottom and I've never needed any kind of circulation. I open it probaly 1-3 times a week....
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 03:13 PM 02-27-2012
Thanks for the advice fellas.

So will opening up the humidor fequently affect the aging process at all? I've heard mixed answers on this.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:57 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
Up to you I guess. I have a 21 cu-sq-ft frezzerdor that has about 3lb of beads from top to bottom in it. It fluctuates 2-3 % from top to bottom and I've never needed any kind of circulation. I open it probaly 1-3 times a week....
Agreed. Way too small for needing a fan.

Besides, if you want proper long-term aging, you don't want air circulation.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 05:03 PM 02-27-2012
Good info thanks lovebiscuit!
[Reply]
Up