Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Did I **** up my Humidor?
BHalbrooks 04:03 PM 02-13-2012
Well, I posted a thread because I wasn't having consistency, so I was told to use a sealer. I went and bought Dap Kwik Seal. Kitchen and Bath adhesive caulk. The tube says "Water proof" seal." Now, once I actually put it on my Humidor, I realized just how terrible this smells. I mean, this smells like straight ****ing poison... Which can't be good for my Cigars, much less my Humi. HELP, haven't I ****ed my Humidor?

This is the bottle

I put a single line on the inside of the lid.I don't have the tools to take it apart, and glue it properly, so I had to make due. I'm looking to upgrade soon, so if this is a total loss I'll survive I guess. I just don't want to trash my Cigars.
[Reply]
EricF 04:11 PM 02-13-2012
I believe most people who do this use clear silicone. The kind you use to seal a fish tank.

Never heard of someone using DAP.
[Reply]
fencefixer 04:14 PM 02-13-2012
You want 100% silicone, what you're smelling is the adhesive.. someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's a difference between silicone and silicone adhesive.
How long has the stench been sealed into the humidor?
[Reply]
shilala 04:16 PM 02-13-2012
Caulking is caulking. It takes a couple days to dry, and it's completely odorless. That's how you tell it's dry, no more smell. You're fine. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:18 PM 02-13-2012
And DAP isn't adhesive as in glue, it's bathroom caulking. It's been around forever. You use it to set sinks and caulk in fixtures. It makes them stick, whereas silicone just peels away.
[Reply]
fencefixer 04:19 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Caulking is caulking. It takes a couple days to dry, and it's completely odorless. That's how you tell it's dry, no more smell. You're fine. :-)
Not trying to argue - Silicone sealant and Silicone adhesive are 2 different things, no?
[Reply]
shilala 04:26 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:
Not trying to argue - Silicone sealant and Silicone adhesive are 2 different things, no?
Silicone adhesive is actually better if he's taken things apart. In humidor work, they're completely interchangable.
Yes, they're two different things, but not detrimental, except for the fact that he chose bright white caulking that'll dry bright white. :-)
Latex caulking is a whole nother ballgame. It'd work fine in a humi, but it dries hard, shrinks and wears out over time, so it's not ideal unless you're painting over it.
I think what you're after/thinking of is 100% silicone. It's just a sealant. It peels right off, kinda.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:26 PM 02-13-2012
Correct. BUT..... Silicone and Caulking are NOT the same!
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 04:27 PM 02-13-2012
You want 100% silicone, what you're smelling is the adhesive.. someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's a difference between silicone and silicone adhesive.
I put it on less than an hour ago, but instantly started to wonder what I had done. I don't have it shut, just so it can dry.
So, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
[Reply]
fencefixer 04:28 PM 02-13-2012
Thank you :-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:35 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
I put it on less than an hour ago, but instantly started to wonder what I had done. I don't have it shut, just so it can dry.

So, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
You can wash it all off with water, Smoke. Run water over it and use a toothbrush to scrub the rest out. Then go get the right stuff.
[Reply]
OLS 04:35 PM 02-13-2012
ESPECIALLY because you did not shut it up, it should be fine.
[Reply]
shilala 04:36 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
ISo, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
Yes, it'll be okay. Except it'll dry bright white and look retarded. :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 04:41 PM 02-13-2012
I'm ok with how it'll look, I'm not trying to win any competitions lol. So I don't have to take this off, unless I was concerned about looks, right?
[Reply]
shilala 04:51 PM 02-13-2012
Right. You'll be okay, Brian. This stuff dries faster than 100% silicone, too. I didn't see how much you gobbed on, but it'll be good in a day or two.
It will remain somewhat supple, so expect that. That won't tell you if it's dry or not. Absence of smell and the fact that it won't run when water hits it will tell you it's good to go.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 04:55 PM 02-13-2012
Scott, you're the man! Now, I have a retarded Humi. hahahahaha. Oh well, life goes on. I'd rather have it look terrible and not leak, than the latter :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:01 PM 02-13-2012
True that, brother. It's just little, you'll be getting a new one soon anyways. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:03 PM 02-13-2012
Oh, make sure you tape up that tube of caulking or it'll dry up hard as a rock.
It's perfect for around the bottom of the tub, shower, and around the sinks. You'll need it again someday.
If you have a nail or screw, stick it in the end of the tube then tape it up with duct tape.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 07:15 PM 02-13-2012
Dude, send him his money back NOW !!!

:-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:17 PM 02-13-2012
True that, brother. It's just little, you'll be getting a new one soon anyways. :-)
YEP! If you're ok with it, I'll pm you a link and you can give your opinion since you're a Humi king?
Oh, make sure you tape up that tube of caulking or it'll dry up hard as a rock.
It's perfect for around the bottom of the tub, shower, and around the sinks. You'll need it again someday.
If you have a nail or screw, stick it in the end of the tube then tape it up with duct tape.
Good call! Thank you! Totally forgot about the Tube haha
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
Dude, send him his money back NOW !!!

:-)
?
[Reply]
Up