Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Screwed
dwoodward 11:49 AM 02-03-2012
omfg... i just went to fix the wobbling and noticed it's missing one of the feet on the bottom of the unit. The bottom also looks to have had some kind of water damage or something. This is ridiculous. I'm about ready to just tell them to shove it and dispute the whole charge with pay pal. There is NO way this was a pristine unit... I just keep finding more and more things wrong with it.
[Reply]
pektel 11:50 AM 02-03-2012
Sounds like they sent you a scratch and dent. Was it sealed in all the factory packaging?
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:53 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
Sounds like they sent you a scratch and dent. Was it sealed in all the factory packaging?
Nothing was sealed, it was just wrapped in plastic.
[Reply]
pektel 12:02 PM 02-03-2012
Doesn't sound like a new unit at all. My scratch and dent came in a non-factory box, with big pieces of styrofoam to "protect" it. Can't remember if it was wrapped in plastic or not.

I would assume that a brand new unit would have some sort of factory packaging instead of just wrapped in plastic.

Also, my S&D unit was also missing a foot. And the handle.
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:11 PM 02-03-2012
Yeah... I just got off the phone with them. They are sending me another one. It just pisses me off that they couldn't work with me more. I offered to just take scratch and dent price if they would send me the foot, but then again, I don't really like the look of the rust that's on the bottom of the unit. My father just stopped over when I was on the phone and he looked at it, he said it looked like the unit has been used as well and commented how the old holes for switching the door side were sealed up with some sort of puddy.

Now I need to arrange for shipping and this is just a big pain in my ass. It's different when you can just take the unit to the store and ship it, but they need to do "pick up" i guess.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:03 PM 02-11-2012
Got the new one on my doorstep this morning. Got it out, inspected it, everything looks great. Has all 4 feet, no scratches, dents, no weird staining on the door. Looks pristine! This one also had that identifiable "new smell" that the old one was missing. Very happy with this unit. I am now even more positive they must have sent me a used one the first go.

However, I have had it plugged in for 9 hours now on Full blast, cold as it will go, and it only gets to 57F... pretty crappy for a wine cooler, but then again, i'm not using it for wine. lol So, if you wanted to get one of these for wine, I wouldn't suggest it.

Anyway, i'll get some pictures up soon. Right now it's pretty empty, but I'm going to take my time making sure that once I start getting some shelving in it it gets seasoned up really good. I'm not planning to fill it with cigars for at least 3-4 weeks. Just wanna make sure everything is perfect.
[Reply]
jluck 09:09 PM 02-11-2012
[quote=dwoodward;1556485]
I have had it plugged in for 9 hours now on Full blast, cold as it will go, and it only gets to 57F... pretty crappy for a wine cooler, but then again, i'm not using it for wine. lol So, if you wanted to get one of these for wine, I wouldn't suggest it.
[quote]

That's the drawback to thermoelectric but perfect for cigars and most good wines are traditionally served above 57 degrees.

Let's see them pics! :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:02 PM 02-12-2012
Wow... the highest temperature setting sits at 63F... So the unit has an entire temperature range of 6F... crazy.

So, is it okay keeping cigars at 63F if I can maintain the RH at 65-70?
[Reply]
icehog3 01:11 PM 02-12-2012
63 is perfect.
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:16 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
63 is perfect.
Thanks Admiral. I was worried it might be too low. Glad it will be alright. :-)
[Reply]
SSDVC 06:45 PM 02-12-2012
I had nothing but good luck with both Compact Appliance (and I did deal with their customer service and it was outstanding) and the Edgestar.
[Reply]
Swif 09:31 PM 02-12-2012
It sucks when you buy a product that should be top notch. You receive the product with problems and the company does not want to resolve the problem.

I am facing the same issue with a vendor and I took there word for a year now.

Fight for what you feel is right.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:46 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by Swif:
Ya don't say!
[Reply]
jluck 09:51 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Wow... the highest temperature setting sits at 63F... So the unit has an entire temperature range of 6F... crazy.

So, is it okay keeping cigars at 63F if I can maintain the RH at 65-70?
The Peltier effect is how thermoelectric coolers work. It will be roughly 10 degrees cooler that the room temperature is.

It sucks when you buy a product that should be top notch. You receive the product with problems and the company does not want to resolve the problem.

don't get another thread locked. K:-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:39 AM 02-13-2012

:-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:42 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Can you post pictures of the damage?
x2 :-)
[Reply]
Swif 06:21 PM 02-13-2012
Do what you can and good luck with the refund or replacement.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up