Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Best Humidity Meter
kage65 12:16 PM 05-09-2011
I tried searching for this topic but can't get past the image verification to do the search.
Can someone recommend the best Indoor Humidity monitor?

I was considering this one

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/302-604b/index.php

Thanks.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:21 PM 05-09-2011
Welcome to CA!

It looks as good as any other and don't be afraid of asking questions. Except for cello on or cello off. :-)

Be sure to stop by New Inmate Processing and introduce yourself. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:36 PM 05-09-2011
Maybe Jeremy will stop by but I remember him saying the Diamond Crown was one of the more reliable Hygro's. I have one and it works perfectly.

Also don't ask Palio or Xikar Xi, which is better :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:46 PM 05-09-2011
Looks as good as any other home use hygrometer which I assume is your goal. Accuracy is +-4%. I would assume that there are very few manufacturers of the chips used in all hygrometers, in fact they may all come from a common source, so the differences mostly are in adjustability and aesthetics.:-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:47 PM 05-09-2011
Xikar makes a nice adjustable one and they have a great warranty! :-)
http://www.xikar.com/product_digital_hygrometers.asp
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:52 PM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by kage65:
I tried searching for this topic but can't get past the image verification to do the search.

Thanks.
In some ways it boils down to how much you want to spend. If you want to keep it in the neighborhood of $20-$25 then I like the HygroSet and HygroSet II as both can be calibrated and adjusted as needed. I don't have any experience with Xikar, but I hear that they are pretty good.

If you want to spend more, I like the Oregon Scientific products (http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-W...Clock.html) as they will broadcast data to a central station which can be (optionally at no additional cost) connected to your computer. I tried the connection and it works, but had no need to track the history of my RH and temperature (although I do use the Oregon Scientific hygrometers in two of my humidors).

Most of these devices are accurate to +/- 2% on RH, which is really pretty good.

To get better than this you need to spend a lot more money.

Many of the hygrometers that are less expensive than $20 seem to be much less accurate or consistent.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:54 PM 05-09-2011

The image verification is case sensitive. That may or may not be your problem. Just offering it up as a possibility as we have had no other reports of similar problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kage65 01:31 PM 05-09-2011
Thanks. It looks like people like the one from Xikar so I got that one.
I didn't realize the verification was case sensitive so it looks like that was my issue.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:33 PM 05-09-2011
Thanks. It looks like people like the one from Xikar so I got that one.
I didn't realize the verification was case sensitive so it looks like that was my issue.
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:33 PM 05-09-2011
I have a Western Caliber III Thermometer Hygrometer that I use periodically in my biggest humi. Would work well in the home. Pretty dang accurate. ~$20

[Reply]
pengl 04:04 AM 03-14-2012
Hey kage,

well I personally had to face the same situation when I explored that there were hundereds of those nice little meters...

Maybe you ahould have classified a bit more what you want that thing to do. There are too many to just give an example of which one to buy. They range from cheap to expensive, small to huge and so on.

Since I 'm from Germany, I got a German one. Maybe you should check them out here:

http://www.industrial-needs.com/meas...ity-meters.htm

That's where I got mine and they offer lots of that stuff.
[Reply]
poker 08:26 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by pengl:
Hey kage,

well I personally had to face the same situation when I explored that there were hundereds of those nice little meters...

Maybe you ahould have classified a bit more what you want that thing to do. There are too many to just give an example of which one to buy. They range from cheap to expensive, small to huge and so on.

Since I 'm from Germany, I got a German one. Maybe you should check them out here:

http://www.industrial-needs.com/meas...ity-meters.htm

That's where I got mine and they offer lots of that stuff.

Of course they have lots of that stuff and thats where you got yours from. Thats because industrial-needs.com is also pce-instruments.com (you know pce instuments right? Its where your member registration email is from!)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 08:32 AM 03-14-2012
Whatever you buy, be it $20.00 or $200.00, you need to verify the calibration up front. I have very consistent results with the salt test (use a mason jar, not a plastic bag) and I hear good things about the Bovida calibration kits. I test my stand alone hygros every year when I replace the batteries....
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:07 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by poker:
Of course they have lots of that stuff and thats where you got yours from. Thats because industrial-needs.com is also pce-instruments.com (you know pce instuments right? Its where your member registration email is from!)
:-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 09:29 AM 03-14-2012
I believe the word you're looking for is "shill";

Originally Posted by :
shill (verb \ˈshil\)

Definition of SHILL:
A shill, plant or stooge is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) that he or she is secretly working for. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed).
....nice catch, BTW....:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:34 AM 03-14-2012
Using a company email is kinda sloppy.
[Reply]
poker 10:19 AM 03-14-2012
He failed at tactical shilling 101
[Reply]
Theo Cincy 11:12 AM 03-14-2012
Super useful Thread.
[Reply]
Up