Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva 100 Angel
Scottw 09:50 PM 10-31-2008
Longknocker gave this one to me in a bomb from last month. I just broke into my humidor as i had lost the keys and this one was staring me in the face. She was a 6 X 52 beauty with a smooth dark wrapper. Couple of veins but she looked good. Gave a clip............

Prelight draw was a bit tight and tasted like cedar and toast. I grabbed the old Ronson (also gifted by Greg) and gave her a light.

Opened up with some pepper but not much else, good aroma but even though the stick was packed with tobacco, the smoke was almost nonexistent. In fact, I was drawing on it repeatedly to make sure she was lit. This went on for the first inch of the stick.

After the first inch or so, the ash dropped. The flavors livened and became those of cedar, toasted nut and some coffee. The smoke was more substantial and I was getting happier. toward the middle of the stick, the pepper subsided a bit and the coffee grew stronger.

With about two inches left in the cigar, it got a bit more powerful. The flavors lent themselves to a spicy, nutty espresso with a hint of cocoa although not prevalent. Unfortunatley, the flavor profile would not hold on for too much longer.

At this point, it got bitter. I purged twice, but it didn't return to the flavor profile I was hoping it would. I let her die gracefully at this point.

I liked the cigar although I would go scouring the landscape to buy another. I would give it a 5. If it didnt become so bitter at the end, a 6 or 6.5
[Reply]
Ratters 10:56 PM 10-31-2008
Nice review. :-) Never heard of these, still be interested in trying one.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 12:16 AM 11-01-2008
I liked the few I had of these. I smoked them real slow because at the time I was trying to learn snorkeling. The flavors were good. I am a fan of the coffee/coco.
[Reply]
papajohn67 12:46 AM 11-01-2008
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
I liked the few I had of these. I smoked them real slow because at the time I was trying to learn snorkeling. The flavors were good. I am a fan of the coffee/coco.
Been smoking them for the last couple of years. They can be hit & miss but when they are on they are great. Since discontinued you can still catch them mighty cheap on Cbid. One thing I have learned with them is to smoke um slow....real slow.
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 12:51 AM 11-01-2008
I had a 5er of these and I have another 5er left. First ones were a great mellow creamy smoke. Great with a cup o' Joe. Looking forward to the next few!
[Reply]
G G 05:42 AM 11-01-2008
Nice review, I think I have one of these in the humi.:-)
[Reply]
dunng 06:37 AM 11-01-2008
Nice review, I stocked up on these when they were on sale... :-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 08:16 PM 11-01-2008
These are quite nice. I, too, stocked up when they were on sale and they've been getting even better over time.
[Reply]
Up