Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>dutch master
red123 12:50 PM 06-20-2012
has any one smoked a dutch master? would you reconmind it to a new cigar smoker.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 12:59 PM 06-20-2012
Those, King Edward, and Swisher sweets are what I and a few others started on. Keep in mind, they're machine made and not hand rolled. Big difference. They'll either turn you off to cigars completely, or make you want to try better hand rolled ones.

IMO, start off with some good, cheap, mild smokes like Casa De Garcia cigars and start off right.
[Reply]
Digs 01:10 PM 06-20-2012
Heck NO! In my opinion these are for cigarette smokers I wouldn’t recommend these to anyone I was trying to get interested unless you want to turn them off completely and make them an anti. LOL

I also wouldn’t start them off with a good cheap cigar because that’s an Oxy-moron I would try and offer them an Acid and go from there. :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 01:18 PM 06-20-2012
Excellent first post! Welcome to the nuthouse. Go introduce yourself and stick around. Lots of good info here.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:19 PM 06-20-2012
I would get the Black & Milds.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 01:20 PM 06-20-2012
I'd start on ACID and the other DE infused smokes before a DM
[Reply]
czerbe 01:22 PM 06-20-2012
Have them try something Mild a Cain F maybe...:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
the nub 01:23 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Digs:

I also wouldn’t start them off with a good cheap cigar because that’s an Oxy-moron I would try and offer them an Acid and go from there. :-)
you would offer them a bad cheap cigar? :-)
[Reply]
363 01:28 PM 06-20-2012
I've always grown thinking that DM and Philies were just there to be broken open and stuffed with other materials. I've never looked at them as 'real' cigars
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:33 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Digs:
Heck NO! In my opinion these are for cigarette smokers I wouldn’t recommend these to anyone I was trying to get interested unless you want to turn them off completely and make them an anti. LOL

I smoke cigarettes and I won't touch them, but I won't touch an Acid, either.
[Reply]
pektel 01:36 PM 06-20-2012
I'd start with a milder, hand rolled smoke. If you are not sure about getting into the hobby, then maybe just a cheap sampler from www.cigarsinternational.com would do the trick. Store the sticks in a tupperware container with a Boveda packet to cut costs on storage, until you are sure you want to buy a humidor.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:45 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
I'd start with a milder, hand rolled smoke. If you are not sure about getting into the hobby, then maybe just a cheap sampler from www.cigarsinternational.com would do the trick. Store the sticks in a tupperware container with a Boveda packet to cut costs on storage, until you are sure you want to buy a humidor.
Good post here! :-)

We all start somewhere when it comes to cigars, buy asking here you are one step further than I was a long time ago.
I wouldn't smoke any of the cheap gas station style cigars myself.
The quality of tobacco used is garbage. I started smoking BackWoods when I was young but would never go back to one.
Try a sampler from an online store, CI has some great deals for starters.

The best thing to do may be to go to a reputable cigar shop locally and ask what would be a good starter cigar.

Good luck with exploring the hobby, in time it may become a lifestyle.
[Reply]
poker 01:58 PM 06-20-2012
I say just give em a Partagas Short and send em down the slope with no safety belt. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 02:02 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by poker:
I say just give em a Partagas Short and send em down the slope with no safety belt. :-)
:-) :-)
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 02:45 PM 06-20-2012
This just brought a tear to my eye. My grandpa smoked these all the time. This is why I smoke cigars now. (much better ones though) Miss you Papa!!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 04:07 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by poker:
ha! yeah, that would probably do the trick.
[Reply]
DaBear 05:55 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by 363:
I've always grown thinking that DM and Philies were just there to be broken open and stuffed with other materials. I've never looked at them as 'real' cigars
I've never looked at them as cigars period. They're just oversized flavored cigarettes.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 06:37 PM 06-20-2012
I'm probably gonna get burned at the stake for this, but why not try a Macanudo Cigar. They are hand made, well constructed and very mild. Theres gotta be a reason they're the number 1 selling cigar in the USA, and I'm thinkin newbies love em (I guess).
[Reply]
Bleez 07:13 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
This just brought a tear to my eye. My grandpa smoked these all the time. This is why I smoke cigars now. (much better ones though) Miss you Papa!!
I actually bought a 5 pack of Dutch Master Presidents yesterday. Not to smoke, but to hold on to and remind me of my passed Grandfather. I don't remember much about him but I do know that he smoked DM Presidents and drank scotch. $5 for a 5er of memories...haha, corny but whatever...
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:16 PM 06-20-2012
If it brings them into our great hobby...go for it. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up