Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>(The return of the) Nestor Reserve Maduro
borndead1 09:06 PM 12-24-2021
HAPPY CHRISTMAKWANZUKKAH!

These $2 torpedoes were quite the rage for a while like 10 yrs ago, and were one of my favorite smokes at one point. Then the quality took a nosedive and I stopped buying/smoking them. In fact, if I recall correctly, the last one I smoked had quite a bit of humidor time and was still nasty as f**k. But I guess I fell victim to nostalgia and grabbed a bundle of this new version when they came up on C Bid.

Visually, this new batch are already superior to the old ones in that the wrappers do not appear to be "enhanced" in any way (y'all know what I'm talking about; those wrappers were dyed somehow). This cigar is well constructed, has a nice weight in the hand, and an easy draw.

First few draws...strong tobacco flavor with an earthy/grassy flavor through the nose and on the finish. Not what one would expect from a maduro wrap cigar.

About 1" in...plain tobacco and earthy flavors are the same, but a coconut flavor has come in on the finish.

A little past the first inch, some familiar maduro flavors start coming in. The ash is almost pure white, which is surprising. Ash holding strong at over 1" before I knocked it off.

Around halfway...initial flavors have been replaced by the more typical maduro flavors of coconut/cocoa on the draw, with an anise flavor on the palate between draws. Good burn with only 1 minor correction.

A little past halfway...the anise has become quite strong in the nose exhale and on the finish, but not in a bad way. Burn is still quite good. Trying not to get too excited, but I am digging this one so far.

Toward the end...the dominant flavors and aromas have remained the same, with just a little bit of an ammonia flavor coming in. I honestly expected that, as this cigar has only been resting in the humi for a few days. I let 'er die at around 1.5".

Final thoughts...it looks like the Nestor Reserve maduro has truly returned, meeting and perhaps surpassing its former glory. To Cigarbid I go, to snag 10 bundles before they go to sh*t again! Hahahaha :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:10 AM 12-25-2021
Great to know. I loved em too back in the day. Gotta get me some. Thanks.
[Reply]
Up