Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Palio comment, Xikar question
e-man67 02:51 PM 07-07-2010
Yeah, I will mail it back. Thanks.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 03:32 PM 07-07-2010
I have two xikars, and a new palio, i love my palio, and it is my primary cutter. It never leaves any bumps, it cuts clean.

Now that, that is said. I love the xikars, they are sharp and cut clean as well. I have never had an issue with either of them, i keep one next to my humi and one in my truck. I hope that this gets worked out for you. Good luck.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 03:33 PM 07-07-2010
Correct, just mailed mine to Palio yesterday, Marc is top notch!
[Reply]
klipsch 03:57 PM 07-07-2010
I has TWO Palio's... :-)

But my Xikar lighter does work better than my Blazer most of the time. Oh wait...this is a Cutter thread. :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 04:20 PM 07-07-2010
The "bump" that some folks are talking about when cutting with a Palio might be from not applying a gentle downward pressure towards the cigar while making a quick cut (if that makes any sense). :-)
[Reply]
tenbaseg 04:26 PM 07-07-2010
The bump in the middle can be left by pulling away when completing the cut. Applying a bit of pressure down on the cutter as you squeeze will help.

Xikar vs Palio....No contest. Palio all the way. Sharpest out there and a great company to support.

I lost my Xikar and don't miss it one bit. I picked up a 2nd Palio to replace it.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:47 AM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Nope, cigars aren't dry..cheap 50 cent cutter does a great job. My buddy's palio works fine but mine sucks.
I will vouch for e-man. His Palio sucks. Whenever I go to his house, he uses my Palio and it works fine. I tried his Palio and it damages the cigar. He must have just received a lemon.

Eric, I am sure you will like the new one they give you. I love my Palio.
[Reply]
Jack1000 10:58 AM 07-08-2010
I had a bad palio a few years back--they replaced it without questions and the new one is fine.

The bump problem--in my experience anyway--is from bad form--pulling away, cutting too slow etc. I found that laying the cutter on the table and pushing the cigar down while cutting solves this and gives a nice level cut.
[Reply]
OLS 02:40 PM 07-08-2010
I always pinch a plug out of a habano, and when I can't work that, I have
my other favorite, that wicked stainless Montecristo flat guillotine.
Looks great, cuts great. I used to have a couple, now I am down to my
personal one. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 06:45 PM 07-08-2010
The folks who said that the Xikar left a bump because of pulling away while finishing the cut are exactly right. There was a thread on this on the old board a couple of years ago. Another way to get an even cut is to cut the cigar while it is still in the cello. Don't know why this works but it does.
[Reply]
Jack1000 06:52 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by taltos:
Another way to get an even cut is to cut the cigar while it is still in the cello. Don't know why this works but it does.
interesting. wonder why?
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:58 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I have never had any problems with my Xikar. They have a life time warranty. Take it a retailer and they will swap it out with a new one.
That's what I thought but I've tried it with two retailers and have been told both times to send it in.

I think the Palio is okay. It is darned purdy though. I feel that my Xikar cut better when it was still operational. I prefer the Xikar Multi-Tool scissors the best though.
[Reply]
rharris 11:14 PM 07-08-2010
I just happen to like the way the xikar fits in my hand.It also just seems easier and more user friendly to me. I also had a palio and found it be an excellent cutter.It just seemed a little awkward for my big fat sausage fingers.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:40 AM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by rharris:
I also had a palio and found it be an excellent cutter.It just seemed a little awkward for my big fat sausage fingers.
:-)...The moral of the story is, if you have "spaghetti fingers," buy a Palio. Hot dog and sausage fingers, buy a Xikar:-)

[Reply]
taltos 12:12 PM 07-09-2010
I don't use the Palio because my fingers don't fit and many hellos to Mark. Missed talking to you buddy.:-)
[Reply]
macsauce13 11:34 PM 07-09-2010
Im kind of threadjacking but I have a Palio question and thought this might be a good place to ask. I received my first ever Palio in the group buy recently, and it is very sharp. My only 'concern' is that it feels almost "hitched". When I open and close it, it just isn't smooth. It sticks a bit. Is this normal for Palio? It seems to cut fine (which is the important part) I just wanted some other opinions!

Thanks!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:57 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I prefer the Xikar Multi-Tool scissors the best though.
By far the best cutter out there, IMO. Gave up on Palio back in late '90s.
[Reply]
scoop 06:25 AM 07-10-2010
I bought a Palio just for this reason...so I could compare them myself. IMO the Xikar is the better cutter, the fit, feel and even just carrying it in my pocket. The Palio doesn't seem as sharp and is more bulky than the Xikar. The Palio is a good cutter don't get me wrong, but if I was in the market and needed a new cutter it would be a Xikar hands down.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 09:41 AM 07-10-2010
to the OP - i love your profile pic. lolz.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:46 PM 07-13-2010
Just picked up my first Palio and I love it. I've been using cheap cutters for too long, this thing is great. And I do have fat sausage fingers and it works great for me.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up