Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Fridge "reclamation" project (pic heavy)
BigAsh 04:09 PM 07-14-2009
The back story:.....Moved into this house about 3 1/2 years ago....there was a very old fridge in the basement, an old GE apartment size model...
prior owner kept beer in there (bastid took out the case while we were at settlement!)....lt was in bad cosmetic shape but got cold so we kept it in basement.....plugged in.....sucking up electricity....not being used (we have 2 full size new fridges and a small dorm size one for my BBQ sauces, and other cooking condiments).....cleaning out basement in April......hmmm, maybe I can turn this into a humi...I decide to open door.....OMG!!!....
Ice monster took over....the inner freezer compartment was frozen shut with ice oozing out (obviously NOT frost-free).....wife sez "Throw it out!!....I say "hmmm, maybe I can turn this into a humi"...:-)....as she shakes her head and walks away...... a little paint, some elbow grease, some shelves from Chuck/Chasden, some beads from Scott/shilala, a Johnson controller from Gary/reflex, etc. etc.....anyway I defrosted (found some "mystery" items embedded in the ice, it was like the Discovery Channel!) and cleaned ....take a look....
A little ice with your fridge?
Oozing out the back/bottom of freezer:
After several hour was able to pry open the freezer door, OMG:
THe next day, ice finally all gone, notice a little door damage?:
[Reply]
AD720 04:12 PM 07-14-2009
Looks good Keith. I'm looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:13 PM 07-14-2009
I do not know from personal experience, but have been told those older, thick-walled, non-frostfree fridges are the best choice for your hummie project. Best of luck with it - and the missus.
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:17 PM 07-14-2009
Then took apart door, removed the gasket (is it supposed to be black?!?), primer coat of paint.....

I put the first coat on already and need to take some pics....also need to get a hold of Chuck for the "interior"....traded for the Johnson controller so i can regulate temp....plan on beads for the humidity.....
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:20 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Looks good Keith. I'm looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up.
Thanks Andrew....hoping to get it done in time for a Philly herf by the pool...

Originally Posted by The Poet:
I do not know from personal experience, but have been told those older, thick-walled, non-frostfree fridges are the best choice for your hummie project. Best of luck with it - and the missus.
Thanks....luckily she "indulges" my vices......
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:23 PM 07-14-2009
That is a great start to what I would bet will be an awesome humi. Thanks for sharing brother!!
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:26 PM 07-14-2009
Thanks Bro'....its no "Gator Den" man-cave (which is sweet btw), but its a start....
[Reply]
MedicCook 04:29 PM 07-14-2009
Looks like you have a good start. Can't wait until the finished product.
[Reply]
cricky101 04:32 PM 07-14-2009
Very cool! I subscribed to the thread so I can keep up on your progress. Good luck!
[Reply]
dunng 04:52 PM 07-14-2009
Very nice! Flat black finish? :-)
[Reply]
AD720 05:05 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Thanks Andrew....hoping to get it done in time for a Philly herf by the pool...
:-):-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:10 PM 07-14-2009
Looking good Keith!! Can't wait to see the final product.
[Reply]
bowhnter 06:02 PM 07-14-2009
That looked rough, any hotdogs left up in there? :-)

Looks like a nice project, Keith :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 06:21 PM 07-14-2009
Building drawers for it is defiantly doable :-)

Another really cool thing to do would be to replace the inside (Insert) of the door with a sheet of Spanish Cedar instead of putting back the door insert. That way the inside of the door would not get in the way of the drawers and it would add major "cool factor" to the unit. Since you got it torn apart already I would consider it. Let me know the measurements and I can get you a price. If you really want to trick the thing out, send me the door, I will gut the door insulation, reline it with ridged Styrofoam and then line it with cedar and build mini trays inside the door :-)

Chas
[Reply]
kgoings 06:25 PM 07-14-2009
What are you going to do about the freezer? Are you going to remove that element and just use the fridge part?
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:42 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
Building drawers for it is defiantly doable :-)

Another really cool thing to do would be to replace the inside (Insert) of the door with a sheet of Spanish Cedar instead of putting back the door insert. That way the inside of the door would not get in the way of the drawers and it would add major "cool factor" to the unit. Since you got it torn apart already I would consider it. Let me know the measurements and I can get you a price. If you really want to trick the thing out, send me the door, I will gut the door insulation, reline it with ridged Styrofoam and then line it with cedar and build mini trays inside the door :-)

Chas
Chuck....you are an evil man.....but I like it! :-) .....
I'll get the measurements and we'll talk.....

Originally Posted by kgoings:
What are you going to do about the freezer? Are you going to remove that element and just use the fridge part?
I think the Johnson controller will take care of that....externally set the temp to 65-70.....freezer should never come into play....I think anyway....anyone with experience in this?
[Reply]
shilala 07:49 PM 07-14-2009
I think the Johnson controller will take care of that....externally set the temp to 65-70.....freezer should never come into play....I think anyway....anyone with experience in this?
Yes, it will certainly come into play, it's your evaporator. It's the part that makes the cold.
Every time the compressor comes on it will get cold and all the water vapor in your fridge will condense on it.
You'll need to arrange some fans to dry the inside and outside of the evaporator (freezer) or it will drip all over your stuff.
You could insulate the outside of the evaporator very carefully and just put fans on the inside and that should work. Depends where the coils lie in the evaporator.
You really couldn't have picked a worse kind of fridge to make workable. :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:03 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
You really couldn't have picked a worse kind of fridge to make workable. :-)
.....are you dressed in black, with a hood, holding a sickle? :-)
Just workin with what I got bro'.....now you gotta rig something up for me :-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:30 PM 07-14-2009
.....are you dressed in black, with a hood, holding a sickle? :-)
Just workin with what I got bro'.....now you gotta rig something up for me :-)
I could figure something out if I could see the evaporator configuration.
A drip pan under the whole thing would work, but you couldn't put anything in it.
If just the top and bottom have the coils in them, the freezer could be cut down and made smaller.
You got me stumped and I design refrigeration for a living. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:36 PM 07-14-2009
Is the "metal freezer body" part of the unit or just a box?

Can it be removed to just expose the coils you talk of?

If so why not just make a small pan to collect the water and drain it out the back into say a gallon jug?

It could be sealed so no air exchange takes place from inside to out and could be emptied as it fills up.

How much condensation are we talking here, a gallon a day, a week a month?

Chas
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up