Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>beads have a foul odor.
Scottastic 01:18 AM 08-20-2010
Never heard of this before, wondering if anyone had this happen to them. I recharged two tubes of beads the other day and realised that they had an extremely strong smell, not unlike whiskey or tequilla. I checked my cooler and it did not share the smell.

I let them sit for a while, and when I felt they had lost some of the odor I put them back in my cooler. It was a few hours later that I was wotried and opened the cooler to check on them. Now it smells horrible in there!

Have the beads simply gone bad? They're less than a year old and have been recharged no more than 4 or 5 times. Is there anything I can do to save them?
[Reply]
bigdix 02:16 AM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by Scottastic:
Never heard of this before, wondering if anyone had this happen to them. I recharged two tubes of beads the other day and realised that they had an extremely strong smell, not unlike whiskey or tequilla. I checked my cooler and it did not share the smell.

I let them sit for a while, and when I felt they had lost some of the odor I put them back in my cooler. It was a few hours later that I was wotried and opened the cooler to check on them. Now it smells horrible in there!

Have the beads simply gone bad? They're less than a year old and have been recharged no more than 4 or 5 times. Is there anything I can do to save them?
Sounds pretty weird, man. Perhaps some sort of mold or mildew?? Were you using distilled water? Maybe taking them out of the cooler warmed them up and made it worse? Strange situation, man! Good luck, I hope you get it worked out! :-)
[Reply]
darkleeroy 09:21 AM 08-20-2010
It's ammonia, because your beads soak up ammonia they store it within themselves. When you directly pour water on your beads, it cracks the beads and as a result releases the ammonia, it's normal. It probably will take years for it to get to the point where you need to replace them.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 09:42 AM 08-20-2010
Which beads do you have?
[Reply]
Scottastic 10:35 AM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by darkleeroy:
It's ammonia, because your beads soak up ammonia they store it within themselves. When you directly pour water on your beads, it cracks the beads and as a result releases the ammonia, it's normal. It probably will take years for it to get to the point where you need to replace them.
Is it safe to put them back in the cooler?
[Reply]
Darrell 10:36 AM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
Which beads do you have?
Anal.
[Reply]
Scottastic 10:36 AM 08-20-2010
Which beads do you have?
They are heartfelt beads, purchased new from a ca user.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:40 AM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Anal.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:43 AM 08-20-2010
That explains the foul odor, no? :-)
[Reply]
darkleeroy 10:44 AM 08-20-2010
Anal.
You owe me a new keyboard. It seems as though there is coffee on this one now cause of your comment. :-)

Scott, Yea it's fine it shouldn't funk anything up. Let them get some fresh air for a couple hours and put them back in.

And make sure you're using distilled water.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 11:18 AM 08-20-2010
Anal.
bahahaha :-):-):-)

did your cats spray or piss on them? Reminds me of stupid cats.. why i like dogs. Cat infused recharged Beads anyone?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:27 AM 08-20-2010
I would rinse the beads with some distilled water and then air them out for several hours -- spread them out flat so that they can truly air out. If, after airing out, the beads continue to have a stong odor I would replace them, as that odor may be imparted into your cigars.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:30 AM 08-20-2010
Anal.

Scott, keep you beads out of the sock drawer.
[Reply]
bigdix 11:32 AM 08-20-2010
Anal.
:-) Dude, I knew I'd see it sooner or later...a friend of Jason's is a friend of mine, brother!! :-)
[Reply]
GTS21 11:51 AM 08-20-2010
I've had the same problem several times. I describe it as a sickly citrus smell.
[Reply]
neoflex 12:06 PM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by GTS21:
I've had the same problem several times. I describe it as a sickly citrus smell.
On your anal beads?
Sorry I couldn't let it die.:-)
[Reply]
357 11:57 AM 08-25-2010
That explains the foul odor, no? :-)
That might be the beads in this thread titled "Beads Turned Brown??? "

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35486
[Reply]
awsmith4 03:10 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
That might be the beads in this thread titled "Beads Turned Brown??? "