Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I'm having trouble getting Shilala beads calibrated
captain53 05:40 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
Captain,

What kind of beads are you refering to? Shilala or heartfelt?

Posted via Mobile Device
I am sorry forgot to say but Shilala. I am very happy with them now but just found that 1.5# was not doing the job.
[Reply]
bsmokin 05:40 PM 08-15-2010
Had this prob even before running the fridge. Only reason I'm running it is for the dehumidification its supposed to provide. Up to now- a few weeks in to running it- its helped not at all.

Originally Posted by lbowles2:
On the Shilala beads site he says that 1.5 lbs is about right for a 28 bottle vino and that amount has worked great for me. All anymore beads than that will do (for me anyway) is allow the humidity level bounce back a little quicker after having the door open longer than normal.

I'm sorry but I don't have any feedback for you on recalibrating the beads as mine have worked perfect for me. I don't run my vino though so that may make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bsmokin 05:42 PM 08-15-2010
I totally agree. I'd be looking at $125 total for beads. Plus shipping. Crazy.

Originally Posted by bobarian:
More beads at that price is just ridiculous! I use 1lb of Heartfelt beads divided into two 8oz bags in both of my 28btl Vinotemps with no issues. My humidity is lower out here in Cali, but over $100 in beads seems to me to very cost inefficient. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bsmokin 05:51 PM 08-15-2010
Alright-update:
After the night in a sealed bag right out of the fridge for recalibration and straight into the edgestar, at 5pm the next day I had 67% RH and 63degs. I'm totally confused now.
I've since said screw it. I took the beads out of the bag and placed in the humi. Several hours later I had 71% RH and 63degs.

So, what are my options now?

- give up on the beads and get a refund.

- try, try again on the recalibration

- buy MORE beads

- live with what I've got. About 70% RH
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Brad 06:06 PM 08-15-2010
Return them, you aren't going to be happy with them as is.
[Reply]
captain53 06:36 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
Alright-update:
After the night in a sealed bag right out of the fridge for recalibration and straight into the edgestar, at 5pm the next day I had 67% RH and 63degs. I'm totally confused now.
I've since said screw it. I took the beads out of the bag and placed in the humi. Several hours later I had 71% RH and 63degs.

So, what are my options now?

- give up on the beads and get a refund.

- try, try again on the recalibration

- buy MORE beads

- live with what I've got. About 70% RH
Posted via Mobile Device
Call them or PM them - they are really good folks with plenty of experience and knowledge.
[Reply]
longknocker 06:40 PM 08-15-2010
Give Michael A Call. He Can Help!:-)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...71&postcount=7
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:52 PM 08-15-2010
I know this may be sacreligion (sp) around here... but I am not a fan of the whole vinador type of situation when there are differences in ambient temp/humidity. I had two of them and finally gave up. One would add humidity and the other one would drop like a rock. That being said... I think you are over thinking the whole thing. Put the beads in there and give it a month. Then see what the readings are. Stabilization is a long term process...
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:40 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Put the beads in there and give it a month. Then see what the readings are. Stabilization is a long term process...
This advice is good. It does take time to reach equilibrium.

If you are anxious to get the RH of your beads down for piece-of-mind then do so.

One round in the refrigerator is clearly not enough. I would look at getting the RH of the beads down to around 60-62% to compensate for the otherwise high RH in your humidor. Go through the process that I outline before (fridge-to-bag-to-humi and repeat until you get to your desired RH).

It does take time and patience to do this, I never meant to imply that this would be easy.

However, once your humidor has reached equilibrium at your desired RH, you will be very happy.

There are a lot of people out there with Shilala's beads in their Vino's and Edgestars that are very happy with how their cigars are being kept.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up